ADVERTISEMENT

CJ Hanson

teachers do deserve to be paid far better and also receive far more respect than what they are receiving.
Teachers in some school districts also face more danger to their person than counterparts do in other school districts in the state they work in.

But to use teachers as an excuse for calling police officers overpaid is just wrong.
Just say the teaching profession is not respected as it should be, underpaid as well and allow those that point out police officers deserve every cent they get not to have that compared with teachers not earning what they deserve to be receiving.
Just because teachers are disrespected doesn't mean police officers deserve the same treatment.
Also I bet you'll fnd support in the way you compared the teaching profession with the law enforcement one. But I also think you might find when teachers are being disrepected here, some of the ones supporting your comparison would be knocking what teachers earn when that profession is being discussed.

For some everyone is oiverpaid because they feel underpaid for what they do or if own a business expect complete loyalty while trying to hold the wages and benefits down that they give their employees in order to make a bigger profit
Saying NJ police are over compensated means they are disrespected?

Saying NJ police are over compensated means they are disrespected?
maybe you might feel implying they are overpaid is not lessening the type of working conditions they have to put up with and only those that face constant violence deserve to be paid well. If you even feel that deserves good pay.
But I feel every-time they go out on parol or to a call the police might not be in danger but their jobs require their willingness to put themselves in dangerous situations that could cause serious injury, even thir life.
along in situations that they must control their emotions because of what they might see or the way they are tested trying to uphold the law.

Reactions: LETSGORU91
oh stop
it's not even remotely as dangerous and some claim and statistics have validated that. Police don't have to do anything to protect you and often have not. Respect should be earned
Lol...what the hell kind of a statement is that? You dont realize the risks of a law enforcement officer, do you?
We had one cop in my NJ town die in the line of duty in 30 year. That’s also true about Jackson NJ and most NJ towns. It’s not a dangerous job. It might be in NYC, Chicago or Philadelphia.
The potential for danger is there, each and every minute they are on patrol. One death in 30 years means theres no danger? Oh my!!!
But being a cop in 95% of NJ is a pleasant job. NJ ranks 48 in violent crime and lowest in gun ownership. A town like Jackson the worst you will see is domestic violence, while which quite serious, is the same thing a social worker who makes 75k at the pinnacle of their career sees.
That's a pretty awful misfire by you:

Fatal shooting in Jackson

Jackson woman murdered husband

.Jackson resident shot at by police after violent confrontation (didn't happen in Jackson) but was a resident

Two men shot at Jackson Crossing Plaza

Self inflicted gunshot wound.

Should I continue. That search took me all of 5 minutes to find.

Jackson isnt the utopia you perceive it to be. Every town has it's problems PLUS the degenerates who enter it's borders. By the way, congrats to C.J.!!!!

Lol...what the hell kind of a statement is that? You dont realize the risks of a law enforcement officer, do you?

The potential for danger is there, each and every minute they are on patrol. One death in 30 years means theres no danger? Oh my!!!

.Jackson resident shot at by police after violent confrontation (didn't happen in Jackson) but was a resident

Jackson isnt the utopia you perceive it to be. Every town has it's problems PLUS the degenerates who enter it's borders. By the way, congrats to C.J.!!!!
Libs hate the police. Don't get why. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: TRU2RU

This isn't true - it's a vast and overreaching generalization.

It's not "libs" who are trying to cut funding for law enforcement in Congress, right now.

And, to your point, we should bear in mind the number of people cops kill, every year, for no particular reason.

Regardless... To quote the great @RUJohnny99, "There's never a reason to call the cops."

It's not "libs" who are trying to cut funding for law enforcement in Congress, right now.

And, to your point, we should bear in mind the number of people cops kill, every year, for no particular reason.

Regardless... To quote the great @RUJohnny99, "There's never a reason to call the cops."

For no particular reason?

Yeah, bad on me, but getting the vibe from a number of posters throwing stones at the police and their work in this thread are libs.

I'll have to look up cutting the funding and do a deeper dive. I'm open minded.

As far as police killing people for no reason, that seems like a vast and overreaching generalization too. I would go as far as to say very rare. Many of the people who are killed resisted arrest or being detained. Certainly, a number of police organizations and officers need training in deescalation. But two wrongs don't make a right.

The job of a police officer post May of 2020 sucks. Even in the suburbs.
Rutgers95 is as far right as you can get. Anyone complaining about property taxes should be concerned about the police cost. They complain but pretend they don’t know why their taxes are going up.
Who? On my ignore list.

For no particular reason?

Sure.

Floyd didn't need to die. That kid the Memphis cops killed for running from a traffic stop didn't need to die. Brionna Taylor certainly didn't need to die. Those are just the high-profile cases. There are a lot more.

I'm not anti-cop. I am, most definitely, 100% anti-21st century law enforcement. The nature of policing has changed in the post-Iraq days. There's no reason why tiny suburban PDs need an MRAP. There's no reason why, in many communities, your average cop on the street needs to be decked out in desert camo, full body armor with carriers and toting an M4. The mentality that has overtaken law enforcement, where they all believe themselves to be SEALs, has polluted the relationship between cop and community. Cops have become more aggressive, community members - especially minorities - have become more defensive. Trust is eroded. It's a downward spiral that only increases the likelihood of further conflict.

Many of the people who are killed resisted arrest or being detained.**

**I missed this in my previous response.

I'm only gonna say this once, because it shouldn't need to be said at all.

You don't get to kill someone because they're "resisting". Period F*cking End. You get to kill someone because they have a weapon, you've verified they have a weapon and it's pointed in your general direction.

There was a case down south where a guy got drunk and fell asleep in a Wendy's drive-thru. He woke up surrounded by cops, who had him at gunpoint. He inadvertently scratched his chest. The cops fired 55 shots in 3.8 seconds.

I'm firearm combat trained. That sort of thing is unacceptable f*cking bullshit. You can believe me on that, or not.

A number of cases involving police shootings of unarmed suspects have been cleared because the cop "believed his life was in danger" (or variations thereof).

Maybe I'm old school, but if you have to shoot a guy because you're afraid - and that guy hasn't demonstrated, in any way, that he is armed and trying to kill you - then you're in the wrong line of work.

Reactions: redking
Sure.

Floyd didn't need to die. That kid the Memphis cops killed for running from a traffic stop didn't need to die. Brionna Taylor certainly didn't need to die. Those are just the high-profile cases. There are a lot more.

I'm not anti-cop. I am, most definitely, 100% anti-21st century law enforcement. The nature of policing has changed in the post-Iraq days. There's no reason why tiny suburban PDs need an MRAP. There's no reason why, in many communities, your average cop on the street needs to be decked out in desert camo, full body armor with carriers and toting an M4. The mentality that has overtaken law enforcement, where they all believe themselves to be SEALs, has polluted the relationship between cop and community. Cops have become more aggressive, community members - especially minorities - have become more defensive. Trust is eroded. It's a downward spiral that only increases the likelihood of further conflict.
That not what you said/quoted…
Sometimes there is a reason to pick up the phone and dial 911.

You and I can both realize this can be true.

Reactions: RUfinally2008
Last edited:
Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
I want as many policemen as there are today or even more if they are necessary but at a lower cost. Did you check out the police salaries I posted?

If I read my town budget correctly, the pension and retirement cost for police force is 3-4 times greater than the teacher pension cost even thought there are at least 3-4 times the number of teachers.

I know no matter what we discuss, it‘s not going to change this trend for the next 5 years but you will have more knowledge for the next 10-15 years when it will stop towns from going bankrupt.

Last edited:
Obviously, the Johnny quote was hyperbole. I quote him on it because it's funny, if you consider his original context.
But you agree sometimes they are needed?

I can think of examples for us I’d like them there. Even if it’s just the vehicle and not so much the actual person.

If I read my town budget correctly, the pension and retirement cost for police force is 3-4 times greater than the teacher pension cost even thought there are at least 3-4 times the number of teachers.

I know no matter what we discuss, it‘s not going to change this trend for the next 5 years but you will have more knowledge for the next 10-15 years when it will stop towns from going bankrupt.

There could two aspects of that. One is pension spiking, which should be addressed. The other might be normal retirement age. There are legitimate reasons why it would lower for police than for teachers.

All I know is that when someone's in trouble they call 911 and the police or firemen. You don't have to be a conservative to do so. Even defund the police idiots rush to get police help. Sad thing is the poorer neighbors need police even more. Bad cops suck and are not the rule and boy do we need cops nowadays.

teachers do deserve to be paid far better and also receive far more respect than what they are receiving.
Teachers in some school districts also face more danger to their person than counterparts do in other school districts in the state they work in.

But to use teachers as an excuse for calling police officers overpaid is just wrong.
Just say the teaching profession is not respected as it should be, underpaid as well and allow those that point out police officers deserve every cent they get not to have that compared with teachers not earning what they deserve to be receiving.
Just because teachers are disrespected doesn't mean police officers deserve the same treatment.
Also I bet you'll fnd support in the way you compared the teaching profession with the law enforcement one. But I also think you might find when teachers are being disrepected here, some of the ones supporting your comparison would be knocking what teachers earn when that profession is being discussed.

For some everyone is oiverpaid because they feel underpaid for what they do or if own a business expect complete loyalty while trying to hold the wages and benefits down that they give their employees in order to make a bigger profit

I do not think anyone should be disrespected. I just want the same treatment for teachers and cops, to be paid in line with the risk and according to their education.

It's not a utopia but these didn't involve shooting at the police in Jackson like you would see in a NJ city where a cop is lucky to make 50-60k.

I do not think anyone should be disrespected. I just want the same treatment for teachers and cops, to be paid in line with the risk and according to their education.
For some agencies there are additional stipends for certain things like being bilingual, EMT certification, a bachelors or higher (like teachers have).

As for being compensated for risk, I should be driving an S-Class. 😜

Actually I think this thread has "libs" and "cons" actually on "both sides."

Frankly, I think very few people- whether it's someone in Camden or someone in Alpine- think there's not systemic problems, regardless of their politics.

Personally, I would say 146k should be a cap for a police salary in Jackson, but should probably be the floor in a place like Camden. Does that make me anti or pro police?

I think the police in my city- Jersey City- are underpaid. We have a few, increasingly small, bad parts of town, yet we do 10x better on crime than NYC. You wouldn't know that in the media or compensation though,

For example, no one feels unsafe on the PATH, but plenty do on the subway. Is there no police responsibility there?

And yeah, I mean, a few years ago a family was murdered in Colts Neck. But does anyone seriously believe that a Colts Neck police officer should be better compensated than say, a Keansburg cop? Yet this is what happens. I don't view it as a liberal or conservative talking point.

And lastly, conservatives and libertarians should be as outraged as any liberal re: George Floyd and similar situations. If you're "pro-life" or "small government" how do you justify 4 government employees taking the life of someone for maybe using a counterfeit bill? This stuff should be both sides, it is for honest folks.

For some agencies there are additional stipends for certain things like being bilingual, EMT certification, a bachelors or higher (like teachers have).

As for being compensated for risk, I should be driving an S-Class. 😜

Oh I didn't even touch on other public jobs. It should go without saying but people don't defend you guys as much because they can't make political hay outside of maybe a local election. Though anyone in NY/NJ should be thankful. I am anyway.

I am sure in NYC they're getting it but not sure in Jackson. Though they probably should have Yiddish speaking folks on the force and am I totally fine with paying for that.

After seeing the salaries in Jackson I asked my friend, a captain in a high risk department that I won't name, if that seemed high. He stated, "salaries have gone up because nobody wants to be a cop now. It's that simple."

Reactions: TRU2RU
After seeing the salaries in Jackson I asked my friend, a captain in a high risk department that I won't name, if that seemed high. He stated, "salaries have gone up because nobody wants to be a cop now. It's that simple."
Salaries didn’t just go up recently. It’s progressed over the years that now a cop can make $300k a year in his last couple of years before retirement. See the salary listing I posted. It’s just amazing the compensation. I believe they are paid according to the union contracts not because no one want to be a cop,

Last edited:
Oh I didn't even touch on other public jobs. It should go without saying but people don't defend you guys as much because they can't make political hay outside of maybe a local election. Though anyone in NY/NJ should be thankful. I am anyway.

I am sure in NYC they're getting it but not sure in Jackson. Though they probably should have Yiddish speaking folks on the force and am I totally fine with paying for that.
Nope.

The one big city that does do what I mentioned is the LAPD.

To my knowledge the only uniformed union in the City that has something a little extra, a match for your 401k or 457 is NYPD’s lieutenants rank. Each one has their own union: PBA for regular cops, SBA for sergeants, DEA for detectives, something for lieutenants and something for captains. Forget what those are named.

Not a political oriented problem the lack of support law enforcement gets from people.
Some like to suggest it is but both sides of the fence have shown their lack of support for police officers.
Seems like one side praises the police when it's convenient to, but let them not toe the ideology line and its law enforcement overstep and must be curtailed
So take your political implications and remember both conservatives and libs have shown a total lack of support for the police .
Blaming just libs is showing a political agenda, not being totally honest.

As for this thread, instead of praising "CJ" Hanson for going into Law Enforcement , some are acting like he will be overpaid and have no real role in keeping the public safe.
Now he's being put into a political environment about who supports the profession he just joined and who doesn't.

All I can say is a thread hijack might be in progress over who supports CJ's profession.
Especially seeing that the implications of all in this thread that are saying police officers don't deserve they salary they recive or have a tough job belong to the type of people you imply are the only ones that don't like the police.

**I missed this in my previous response.

I'm only gonna say this once, because it shouldn't need to be said at all.

You don't get to kill someone because they're "resisting". Period F*cking End. You get to kill someone because they have a weapon, you've verified they have a weapon and it's pointed in your general direction.

There was a case down south where a guy got drunk and fell asleep in a Wendy's drive-thru. He woke up surrounded by cops, who had him at gunpoint. He inadvertently scratched his chest. The cops fired 55 shots in 3.8 seconds.

I'm firearm combat trained. That sort of thing is unacceptable f*cking bullshit. You can believe me on that, or not.

A number of cases involving police shootings of unarmed suspects have been cleared because the cop "believed his life was in danger" (or variations thereof).

Maybe I'm old school, but if you have to shoot a guy because you're afraid - and that guy hasn't demonstrated, in any way, that he is armed and trying to kill you - then you're in the wrong line of work.
I don't think anyone said or inferred that you get to kill someone for resisting arrest, and my post made it clear that some police officers need training in deescalation. But my point stands that many of the killings (not all, and there are always examples that don't fit) are due to resisting arrest, getting into a wrestling match with the police, officer, etc. No, that does not justify killing the resisting subject. But every situation is different. Certainly the Floyd situation was in no way a "justified" killing.

I don't think anyone said or inferred that you get to kill someone for resisting arrest, and my post made it clear that some police officers need training in deescalation. But my point stands that many of the killings (not all, and there are always examples that don't fit) are due to resisting arrest, getting into a wrestling match with the police, officer, etc. No, that does not justify killing the resisting subject. But every situation is different. Certainly the Floyd situation was in no way a "justified" killing.

And this is my point.

We're in agreement that cops need better training in de-escalation. I maintain that cop culture itself needs to be de-escalated. You haven't stipulated to that, but I think I can rely on you to see that if you don't de-escalate the culture then you won't be successful teaching individuals to de-escalate specific situations.

I hope that Mr. Hanson becomes an outstanding cop. I have acquaintances on Englishtown and Manalapan PDs who I know are good people. I've seen them do the right thing. But I also know there are cops in those two departments who I would not trust in a tense situation. And don't even get me started on Monroe and Freehold Twp.

I just wish we could, as a society, get rid of the culture of lionization. It's gotten to the point where if you don't enthusiastically proclaim that all cops are heroes, then you don't "back the blue", you're anti-cop.

People who perform acts of exceptional heroism are heroes. You're not a hero simply because of the clothes you wear.

And this is my point.

We're in agreement that cops need better training in de-escalation. I maintain that cop culture itself needs to be de-escalated. You haven't stipulated to that, but I think I can rely on you to see that if you don't de-escalate the culture then you won't be successful teaching individuals to de-escalate specific situations.

I hope that Mr. Hanson becomes an outstanding cop. I have acquaintances on Englishtown and Manalapan PDs who I know are good people. I've seen them do the right thing. But I also know there are cops in those two departments who I would not trust in a tense situation. And don't even get me started on Monroe and Freehold Twp.

I just wish we could, as a society, get rid of the culture of lionization. It's gotten to the point where if you don't enthusiastically proclaim that all cops are heroes, then you don't "back the blue", you're anti-cop.

People who perform acts of exceptional heroism are heroes. You're not a hero simply because of the clothes you wear.
Good point,
like every profession the good shouldn't automatically be lumped in with the bad.
Heroes are made by actions taken not job titles are talking a good game.
Trust is earned and can be lost at a moments notice b y protecting the untrustworthy from being held accountable for their actions.

When talking about people in any profession I try to give them the benefit of doubt and not lump all into the untrustworthy category because of some scumbags that are in that profession

Reactions: Knight Shift
Good point,
like every profession the good shouldn't automatically be lumped in with the bad.
Heroes are made by actions taken not job titles are talking a good game.
Trust is earned and can be lost at a moments notice b y protecting the untrustworthy from being held accountable for their actions.

When talking about people in any profession I try to give them the benefit of doubt and not lump all into the untrustworthy category because of some scumbags that are in that profession
Very well said. If I could find a message board geniuses post to crowbar in here, I would, but I don't want to detract from your point.
What seemingly happens is that the thousands of moments in which law enforcement officers performed valiantly and/or honorably are never captured or noted. But one or two or three bad actors get highlighted and somehow become emblematic of the profession, which is a problem.

Reactions: jreinsdorf
Been retired 8 years, work in Freehold Twp. as a school crossing guard and interact with several patrol officers. Everyone I've come in contact with has been above board and professional. I have State Farm insurance and my premium went up 5%. I called and was told it's because Freehold Twp is a high accident area. I've seen two major accidents just yesterday at the corner of Stillwells Corner Road and West Main St{Rt537}. They have a tough job with so many in a rush and so many serious injuries they happen upon, it must drain them.I'd gladly put you in touch with a person you should air complaints to rather than taking the low road and putting out a blanket statement about the whole police force on a message board.

Last edited:
Nope.

The one big city that does do what I mentioned is the LAPD.

To my knowledge the only uniformed union in the City that has something a little extra, a match for your 401k or 457 is NYPD’s lieutenants rank. Each one has their own union: PBA for regular cops, SBA for sergeants, DEA for detectives, something for lieutenants and something for captains. Forget what those are named.

Well would explain why NYC struggles to hire.

It's not a utopia but these didn't involve shooting at the police in Jackson like you would see in a NJ city where a cop is lucky to make 50-60k.
I responded as you said domestic violence is the worst they will see on patrol. I gave examples of murders, gun violence, and a shooting by a town officer. And that's your retort? Um...ok. btw, I agree if Jersey City officers make that salary. Very underpaid.

Reactions: jreinsdorf
I responded as you said domestic violence is the worst they will see on patrol. I gave examples of murders, gun violence, and a shooting by a town officer. And that's your retort? Um...ok. btw, I agree if Jersey City officers make that salary. Very underpaid.

Never let facts get in the way of a good rant.

Salaries didn’t just go up recently. It’s progressed over the years that now a cop can make $300k a year in his last couple of years before retirement. See the salary listing I posted. It’s just amazing the compensation. I believe they are paid according to the union contracts not because no one want to be a cop,
Of course salaries have consistently gone up as basically all professional salaries trend up over time. If you can't believe there are basic economics at play then you've already made up your mind that cops are overpaid and don't deserve their salary I guess. I have 5 VERY close friends in varying departments of size and risk and they all tell my son the same thing....don't even think of becoming a cop, go fire instead so everyone will appreciate you. One was an accountant and another worked in finance in the city so they did'nt leave those jobs for the pay of a cop. Now if you want to argue Jackson or Holmdel should not be paid more than Keansburg or say Jersey City then I'm definitely on that train. But I have friends in all of those departments and they would agree that the pay is not based on the vastly different risk levels.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT