ADVERTISEMENT

Cliff’s Decision Date is Sunday - Alabama

That also speaks to how few top HS recruits have played in the B1G.

The Rivals150 goes back to 2003.... in those 21 years, there have only been 5 guys who were Top 5 HS players that played their freshman year in the Big Ten. That's 5 of 105, for just 4.7%... many of those 105 didn't go to college, but that's still low for a major conference.

By HS class:
2003 - #3 Shannon Brown, MSU. All Freshman team. (3 other NBA guys on that team)
2006 - #1 Greg Oden, OSU. 1st team B1G, DPOY, ROY, All Freshman B1G, All Conf Tourney, Conf Tourney MVP
2007 - #2 Eric Gordon, Indiana. 1st team B1G, ROY, All Freshman B1G
2008 - #1 Byron Mullens, OSU. 6th Man of the Year B1G, All Freshman B1G
2010 - #5 Jared Sullinger, OSU. 1st team B1G, ROY, All Freshman B1G, B1G Tourney MVP

3/5 were 1st Team B1G and ROY. 5/5 were All Freshman team. There hasn't been a single Top 5 guy in the B1G in the last 13 seasons.

We have 2 coming to the Banks next year.

There have only been 8 other guys that were ranked 6-10 in the Rivals150 that chose the B1G during that time. That's 13 of 210 Rivals Top10 guys in 21 years, for just 6.2%.

By HS class:
2003 - #9 Brian Butch, Wisconsin. Redshirted
2013 - #8 Noah Vonleh, Indiana. ROY, All Freshman B1G
2015 - #6 Diamond Stone, Maryland. All Freshman B1G
2016 - #10 Miles Bridges, MSU. ROY, All Freshman B1G
2017 - #6 Jaren Jackson, MSU. DPOY, ROY, All Freshman B1G
2018 - #6 Romeo Langford, Indiana. 2nd Team B1G
2021 - #9 Caleb Houstan, Michigan.
2023 - #9 Mackenzie Mgbako, Indiana. ROY, All Freshman B1G
I love when posters put this type of work into their posts.

Obviously, no guarantees, but ... No BIG 10 team has ever had 2 top 5 players recruited in the same year - and probably not even 2 top 10 players. So RU has a first, here ... tells you how unusual it is. Sidenote: Duke also has 2 top 5 recruits this season, so 2 teams each have 2 top 5 players each ... very unusual.

Which goes to an earlier post: Would you rather have Harper/Bailey, Harper/Omoruyi or Bailey/Omoruyi. My answer? Harper and Bailey, by a mile, not even a moment's hesitation. It is almost always better to have the best players ... having the best players on the floor always increases your chances of winning any game, IMO. And Harper and Bailey are the "best" players vis a vis Omoruyi.

FYI, that was a useless hypothetical question (which 2 of those 3 players would you rather have). When Harper committed, publicly available reporting implied that Harper and Bailey were getting paid NIL money separate from RU's NIL pot, money that was available only because of who they were (i.e. their recruiting ranking) - so that money was probably not available for Omoruyi. So your choice was Harper and Bailey, OR ... Harper OR Bailey ... or neither - Omoruyi probably never really an option to keep in this NIL market for centers.

I love when posters put this type of work into their posts.

Obviously, no guarantees, but ... No BIG 10 team has ever had 2 top 5 players recruited in the same year - and probably not even 2 top 10 players. So RU has a first, here ... tells you how unusual it is. Sidenote: Duke also has 2 top 5 recruits this season, so 2 teams each have 2 top 5 players each ... very unusual.

Which goes to an earlier post: Would you rather have Harper/Bailey, Harper/Omoruyi or Bailey/Omoruyi. My answer? Harper and Bailey, by a mile, not even a moment's hesitation. It is almost always better to have the best players ... having the best players on the floor always increases your chances of winning any game, IMO. And Harper and Bailey are the "best" players vis a vis Omoruyi.

FYI, that was a useless hypothetical question (which 2 of those 3 players would you rather have). When Harper committed, publicly available reporting implied that Harper and Bailey were getting paid NIL money separate from RU's NIL pot, money that was available only because of who they were (i.e. their recruiting ranking) - so that money was probably not available for Omoruyi. So your choice was Harper and Bailey, OR ... Harper OR Bailey ... or neither - Omoruyi probably never really an option to keep in this NIL market for centers.
Funny you mention the two teams with the top 5 players. Just saw Lunardi of ESPN came out with his updated early bracketology today. Duke got a 2 seed and RU a 10 seed (last 4in w a bye) in the same region and would play each other in the round of 32 if each won their openers.

They had to search long and hard to find the one site that has Alabama favored to win it all in 2024.

Most legit sites (ESPN, etc.) have them at best 3rd behind UConn and Kansas.

But the story would not have been as effective in making Rutgers look like a place where their best players leave in hopes of experiencing some modicum of success if the team Cliff went to wasn't favored to win it all.

They are comically transparent.

Last edited:
Reactions: Smols
Do we need to ask? NJ.com are a bunch of provocative dickheads. I never read their crap and hope they go under soon.
Clown article

@ChrisNalwasky

Step in and try and defend that piece of shit. You work for a trash publication. Embarrassed for you. Hope it pays the bills. When you tell people where you work how is that cringe factor? Tell your coworkers to **** off for me.

Reactions: redking and Smols
Do we need to ask? NJ.com are a bunch of provocative dickheads. I never read their crap and hope they go under soon.
I am not that anti NJ.com all the way. I do respect their coverage of Rutgers in general. Much better that what i have observed of other college sports programs. I have become a fan of Politi, Lanni, and Fonseca and their podcast. Its fun to hear even if I don't agree with them all the time. What I am not a fan of is the ownership driving editors and others to write "hit pieces" and editorials masquerading as news with associated headlines all in the interest of pushing revenue generating click bait. I think that is drive in part due to the average person having short attention spans and not fully developed critical thinking skills. However, that is an overall media problem and not just NJ.com.

Last edited:
Reactions: Knight Shift
I am not that anti NJ.com all the way. I do respect their coverage of Rutgers in general. Much better that what i have observed of other college sports programs. I have become a fan of Politi, Lanni, and Fonseca and their podcast. Its fun to hear even if I don't agree with them all the time. What I am not a fan of is the ownership driving editors and higher ups that drive writing "hit pieces" and editorials masquerading as news with associates headlines to drive click bait. in part that is due to the average person having short attention spans and not fully developed critical thinking skills. However, that is an overall media problem and not just NJ.com.

Isn't that essentially what one of the Mods (who linked the article in this thread)! keeps doing by constantly linking the click bait headline articles from that site trying to get posters to click through back over there.

Isn't that essentially what one of the Mods (who linked the article in this thread)! keeps doing by constantly linking the click bait headline articles from that site trying to get posters to click through back over there.
You are not forced to click on it. Do it if interested else ignore.

You are not forced to click on it. Do it if interested else ignore.

Hoping you realize that someone can recognize click bait without actually "clicking". I didn't click on it, as that site does not really hold much interest to me. However you did ignore the point which was that this site is essentially contributing to that site's click bait.

Hoping you realize that someone can recognize click bait without actually "clicking". I didn't click on it, as that site does not really hold much interest to me. However you did ignore the point which was that this site is essentially contributing to that site's click bait.
For some it is click bait. For others it is an article of interest. If viewed as click bait, then yes, link here contribute to it.

Clown article

@ChrisNalwasky

Step in and try and defend that piece of shit. You work for a trash publication. Embarrassed for you. Hope it pays the bills. When you tell people where you work how is that cringe factor? Tell your coworkers to **** off for me.

Sheesh what did I do?

I just scrolled up and read the article. It’s nothing crazy.

Reactions: Doctor Worm
It's a troll piece, nothing more, hot garbage.
I guess it’s true that it is one of two things: a troll piece, or tone-deaf. Although you seem to be taking it a lot harder than it seems worth.

I’m not bothered by it since I wish people success in general. It’s just that once coaches or players leave, I lose interest in what they’re doing.

Well you said it has always been this way. I don't recall Geof Billet, Eric Clark, or Rob Hodgson (who used to study his books on the bus rides) being such.

Now if you're talking the last 10-15 years or so I don't disagree. But my good friend who's a big BBall guy at Wisky would agree with me. And they haven't exactly sucked over the time frame so I guess it is one's POV here.

So good for them. One less thing I will be shelling my savings out for. And I hope all the folks like you in favor of turning this into a college level pro-sport don't come bitching when more of your seats go towards luxury/premium and your cost to park and sit go thru the roof. As I said. Enjoy it. To each his/her own and not for me.
Must add my roommate Darko to the list. Serious student at Rutgers. Hired by McKinsey, the consulting firm, after graduating.

Left to work for Serbia’s finance minister when country was putting together technocratic government after war. Chose to leave the government when Serbia’s prime minister - his boss’s boss - was assassinated.

I guess it’s true that it is one of two things: a troll piece, or tone-deaf. Although you seem to be taking it a lot harder than it seems worth.

I’m not bothered by it since I wish people success in general. It’s just that once coaches or players leave, I lose interest in what they’re doing.
nah, not taking it hard , who reads it anyway? just calling out a troll piece to the guy here who writes for them.

nah, not taking it hard , who reads it anyway? just calling out a troll piece to the guy here who writes for them.
And what can he do about it?

Some of you guys need to think more before you fly of the handle.

I cover HS sports. Take it up with the writer, not me. Craig works there too, and so did Ryan Patti. It's OK...

It wasn't even that bad.
I'm not bothered by it. And I don't agree w/the attack on you over it.

But, to be fair, it's not the sort of article a NJ focused media outlet should produce if they don't want to alienate RU sports fans. It's basically a taunting article which seems most likely to have been inspired by someone who is a fan of a school that is or was a RU sports competitor. The subject is something an obsessed Syracuse fan might come up with.

It's exactly this sort of thing that has caused so many of us RU sports fans to avoid NJ.COM. A periodic, not very subtle, attempt to tear down RU athletics.

Negative articles are fine, as long as they are objectively reporting facts pertinent to people interested in RU athletics. Even the occasional negative opinion piece is okay.

This is something else, more akin to the periodic NJ.COM attack pieces about RU athletics and finances which are always reported using half-truths intended to make RU look bad. I don't see what you can do about that. But it explains why there's an already large and spreading negative sentiment towards NJ.COM over this sort of thing.

Could be wrong but isn't the Sports Director (Kevin Manahan) a Syracuse grad?
I think so, or one of the other teams we used to play. Over time, the pattern of RU athletics antipathy is unmistakable. There's a phoned-in attempt to be subtle about it, to always have plausible deniability. But it's not, in fact, very subtle to anybody who has been paying attention.

It seems too frequent to explain away as being an example of editorial tone-deafness. Perhaps NJ.COM is somehow profiting by producing such articles. But that's just another great reason for RU athletics fans to avoid them.

I lean towards thinking it's a conscious effort. Which I realize sounds paranoid. Except again, the pattern is too unmistakable and too difficult to swallow as being a long-running chain of coincidences.

That it's due to a fan of some other school is pure conjecture. But the reason really doesn't matter. The results matter and I won't visit NJ.COM as long as these sorts of things continue.

Could be wrong but isn't the Sports Director (Kevin Manahan) a Syracuse grad?
Yes he is a Sadexcuse grad. He's made it known Rutgers is not SU. The headlines to the stories are his and don't always match the article. One it's click bait and a sly way to throw a jab at RU.

Reactions: MADHAT1
Must add my roommate Darko to the list. Serious student at Rutgers. Hired by McKinsey, the consulting firm, after graduating.

Left to work for Serbia’s finance minister when country was putting together technocratic government after war. Chose to leave the government when Serbia’s prime minister - his boss’s boss - was assassinated.
@Fat Koko Darko was your roommate?! Wow, I'm sure we knew each other. I lived next to Geoff and Jason Maronge frosh year before they switched things up, and then I believe Darko moved in with Jason. Again right next to me. You'll have to tell me who you are, either here or as a PM. :)

@Fat Koko Darko was your roommate?! Wow, I'm sure we knew each other. I lived next to Geoff and Jason Maronge frosh year before they switched things up, and then I believe Darko moved in with Jason. Again right next to me. You'll have to tell me who you are, either here or as a PM. :)
Probably so. Darko and I lived off campus on Huntington Street for a while. Circa 1998. Then Darko got a high paying job and moved to Chatham before returning to Serbia.

Best was when Darko and I went to the Knight Club bar. Alvydas Tenys, Darko's friend and center on basketball team, was there. So was the center on the football team who we didn't know.

Alvydas and the football center squared off to fight over a girl. Before these heavyweights landed a punch, Darko picked up Alvydas, who was about 6'10" 260, and carried him across the barroom, through the front door, and onto Easton Ave. How that door stayed on its hinges when Darko and Alvydas crashed through it, 'll never know.

Probably so. Darko and I lived off campus on Huntington Street for a while. Circa 1998. Then Darko got a high paying job and moved to Chatham before returning to Serbia.

Best was when Darko and I went to the Knight Club bar. Alvydas Tenys, Darko's friend and center on basketball team, was there. So was the center on the football team who we didn't know.

Alvydas and the football center squared off to fight over a girl. Before these heavyweights landed a punch, Darko picked up Alvydas, who was about 6'10" 260, and carried him across the barroom, through the front door, and onto Easton Ave. How that door stayed on its hinges when Darko and Alvydas crashed through it, 'll never know.
"V" was huge, a lot bigger than Darko. Wow I had no idea Darko hung around that long after leaving the team, good stuff. And a great story, ha.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT