ADVERTISEMENT

Cliff and NIL

ch414

Junior
Gold Member
Aug 9, 2001
Could somebody clarify for me his status re: NIL. I thought that I read that non-citizens cannot benefit from NIL. Does that affect Cliff? Thanks.

It is not about citizenship. There are many people working in this country at high paying jobs that are not citizens. The issue is that people in the USA on a student visa cannot work outside of a part-time job at the college they are attending. NIL somehow comes under that regulation.

Reactions: RUChoppin
He can get paid outside the country. If the team he goes to has a European trip, a game in Canada, or a holiday tournament in the Bahamas, or whatever, he can get NIL there.

It is not about citizenship. There are many people working in this country at high paying jobs that are not citizens. The issue is that people in the USA on a student visa cannot work outside of a part-time job at the college they are attending. NIL somehow comes under that regulation.
I’m sorry, what does NIL have to do with being a student?

You can’t work a job on a student visa. Nil payments is all 1099 contractor work. It’s illegal for anyone on a student visa to do that type of work.
I know. It wasn’t a serious question, rather sarcasm about the disconnect between being a college “student” and these kind of paychecks. If you make $1 mil a year how is your English Comp teacher going to fail you? Anyway, I have the utmost respect for you and think you did, and have done, a great job representing RU. All the best.

I know. It wasn’t a serious question, rather sarcasm about the disconnect between being a college “student” and these kind of paychecks. If you make $1 mil a year how is your English Comp teacher going to fail you? Anyway, I have the utmost respect for you and think you did, and have done, a great job representing RU. All the best.
Lol yeah probably hard to even care if you fail a class at that point. There weren’t many teachers failing basketball or football players before NIL either though. I get the side of not liking how much “student” athletes are getting paid but nobody ever treated us like students while I was there. Can’t even imagine those SEC schools. It was hurting lot of kids in the long run at the bigger schools because the reality is it’s very hard to go pro. And even then, that’s a short career. Tons of kids with no financial literacy and no real degree due to people at their university guiding them through the easiest possible classes to focus on their sport. You get treated like a pro from day 1 at every power 5. Myles Johnson was probably the only kid in the country missing practices for class 🤣🤣🤣 thanks for all the kind words much appreciated

Lol yeah probably hard to even care if you fail a class at that point. There weren’t many teachers failing basketball or football players before NIL either though. I get the side of not liking how much “student” athletes are getting paid but nobody ever treated us like students while I was there. Can’t even imagine those SEC schools. It was hurting lot of kids in the long run at the bigger schools because the reality is it’s very hard to go pro. And even then, that’s a short career. Tons of kids with no financial literacy and no real degree due to people at their university guiding them through the easiest possible classes to focus on their sport. You get treated like a pro from day 1 at every power 5. Myles Johnson was probably the only kid in the country missing practices for class 🤣🤣🤣 thanks for all the kind words much appreciated
Sadly, I think we all have understood the reality of big time sports and the disconnect for everyone involved from a true college experience and education. The current situation, including the transfer portal, just brings it more into the light. Doesn’t seem sustainable to me for the long term. Part of my connection to RU sports is that I actually had athletes in my classes and my fraternity and saw them around campus (RU in the late 70’s) and believed them to be students. If that doesn’t happen any longer why will the regular Students of today connect for the long run and come back in 20 years to watch their school sponsored minor league team?

Last edited:
Reactions: runrutgersrun
In late 1990s, I lived with a Rutgers basketball player on a student visa. He was a true student athlete. Did unpaid internships and got job with McKinsey, an elite international consulting firm that is selective about who they hire.

Do not see that happening in today’s college basketball environment.

Last edited:
Could somebody clarify for me his status re: NIL. I thought that I read that non-citizens cannot benefit from NIL. Does that affect Cliff? Thanks.
Foreign players on student visas can earn passive NIL, not active NIL. Active NIL means you are engaged in an actual activity, like filming an advertisement. Passive NIL is using your NIL without engaging in an activity, like having your image on a billboard to advertise a business.

Foreign players on student visas can earn passive NIL, not active NIL. Active NIL means you are engaged in an actual activity, like filming an advertisement. Passive NIL is using your NIL without engaging in an activity, like having your image on a billboard to advertise a business.
To put it a little differently, passive NIL (which indeed is allowed for international athletes) would involve licensing a company to use the athlete's NIL (in a video game, for instance) without the athlete doing anything in return. I wonder, though, to what extent boosters or collectives can use passive NIL in a practical way.

https://www.si.com/fannation/name-i...sion-remains-for-international-athletes-noah9

To put it a little differently, passive NIL (which indeed is allowed for international athletes) would involve licensing a company to use the athlete's NIL (in a video game, for instance) without the athlete doing anything in return. I wonder, though, to what extent boosters or collectives can use passive NIL in a practical way.

https://www.si.com/fannation/name-i...sion-remains-for-international-athletes-noah9
I think I read t-shirt sales by a third party licensing a player's image qualifies.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT