ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Brecht Extended Through 2023

Okay I’m gonna play devils advocate here (knowing full-well I’m both a fan of BB and okay with this move):

- Season #8 at RU
- under .500 at RU
- ONLY 8-12 in B1G
- NO B1G titles (regular or tourney)
- NO NCAA appearances
- propensity to lose games they shouldn’t/couldn’t which have destroyed post-season aspirations

...how would you feel if this was a HC in any other Olympic sport with all the same circumstances the HC faced when hired?

Starting a program would have been easier than what BB has had to deal with. It was Shea level horrid when here. We compete with conference rivals and beat them. All with the worst facilities. He didn’t even have the full allotment of schollies until 2 years ago. What he has done has been miraculous. With the new facilities coming and all else built, look out. Let’s also not forget. The last team ranked number in the country? MLAX

Starting a program would have been easier than what BB has had to deal with. It was Shea level horrid when here. We compete with conference rivals and beat them. All with the worst facilities. He didn’t even have the full allotment of schollies until 2 years ago. What he has done has been miraculous. With the new facilities coming and all else built, look out. Let’s also not forget. The last team ranked number in the country? MLAX

Bro know ALL this, and again am 100% in favor if the extension, but it doesn’t answer my question lol!

I thought that answer was pretty evident. I'd be fvcking stoked. I am stoked. Brecht is one of a few real coaches we have.

I would respond by saying it is based on trend lines in the last three years with all his own recruits he is 30-15.
He has been able to attract progressively better coaches.
Recruiting is tracking up better in 2018 and 2020 may his best class ever. Opened recruiting up in in good NJ schools like Moorestown and Delbarton.

I know that Stags made the tournament in 2003 and 2004 but did you know that most of the players on that team were recruited while Brecht was the assistant at the school.

Great news. I assume the contract includes a decent buyout. Brecht and CVS have proven that winning here is possible without limiting their programs to the “recruit locally” paradigm. AreYouNUTS makes solid points about needing to win titles and NCAA postseason participation. With Brecht (and CVS) in charge that is not a pipe dream.

Brecht played in a B1G championship game while having one hand tied behind his back. He has no such restrictions anymore and after the facility is built, he will have advantages. My be my background bias but MLAX is a program with true national title potential.

gReat news! I hope he is getting paid market as I am positive other Big Ten coaches are doing fairly well. Everything is trending in the right direction. Other Olympic sports could learn something from him (i.e. alumni relations / fundraising). He is the reason the funds are flowing in.

Oh and a team cumulative GPA of 3.2 (highest in the BB era) w/ 4 guys at a 4.0 last semester. Another reason the extension makes perfect sense

https://scarletknights.com/news/2019/1/14/mens-lacrosse-succeeds-in-the-classroom.aspx

This is the best news in a long time! Well deserved as both the on and off the field results are fantastic. He had the team ranked #1 in the country, been consistently in the top 15 and should have at a minimum 1 NCAA appearance (Hopkins screw). The number of ranked opponents we have beat in his tenure has been amazing and he has built a great gameday atmosphere.

gReat news! I hope he is getting paid market as I am positive other Big Ten coaches are doing fairly well. Everything is trending in the right direction. Other Olympic sports could learn something from him (i.e. alumni relations / fundraising). He is the reason the funds are flowing in.

Oh and a team cumulative GPA of 3.2 (highest in the BB era) w/ 4 guys at a 4.0 last semester. Another reason the extension makes perfect sense

https://scarletknights.com/news/2019/1/14/mens-lacrosse-succeeds-in-the-classroom.aspx

He's checking all the boxes now. And he has recruited some great, great kids. I am always really impressed when I am with guys from the team.

If you don't want to get involved, don't talk to Brian. That dude is pumped up. And diligent. He still writes hand written letters after all this time. His hard work and belief in where we can go is infectious. These next bunch of years are going to be incredibly exciting.

He's checking all the boxes now. And he has recruited some great, great kids. I am always really impressed when I am with guys from the team.

If you don't want to get involved, don't talk to Brian. That dude is pumped up. And diligent. He still writes hand written letters after all this time. His hard work and belief in where we can go is infectious. These next bunch of years are going to be incredibly exciting.
The hand written cards and notes are impactful...I can't emphasize that enough...it does not go unnoticed...especially in the recruiting process...and beyond

The hand written cards and notes are impactful...I can't emphasize that enough...it does not go unnoticed...especially in the recruiting process...and beyond

I agree. I have told him numerous x that I am all in. Spend that time on someone who is on the fence. That was years ago and 100 handwritten letters. I can't imagine getting recruited by him and the staff. If he doesn't get a kid, I know they gave it their all. But we are getting them, that's for sure. The 2020 class especially is a monster.

I can attest to his relentlessness when he wants a kid, He wanted our goalie from last year, bad and every time I saw him he would ask about him lots of letters and phone calls
yea, I think 2020 is where coach Brecht has really broken through in terms of the state of NJ. Top Middie in the State in Russo, along with Stephenson. Aimone is one of the best attackmen, Knobloch from Moorestown (A school that normally sends its best kids to Delaware) and can play attack or midifled and is very skilled. Gray is the Goalie from Delbarton which is the top private school in the state and a school which rarely sends kids to Rutgers. Probably more importantly he has the best kids off of the best club teams in NJ (other than 2 Knights who have been pretty consistent in terms of sending kids to Rutgers and NJLC who have sent them a couple as well including Sanguinetti and Stevenson) Leading Edge, BBL and Blue Star all represented here.
He could have even better success with the 2021 class as I know for a fact that one of the top defensemen and top goalie both would be considered heavy RU leans right now.

Reactions: Golfer2019
Nobody knows this better than Coach Brecht and the team. This is why he has continued to improve the schedule, with the inclusion of Loyola, Syracuse, Lehigh as well as Army and Princeton on top of their Big Ten schedule
I also think that the Committee is a little biased against the Big Ten but that is just my opinion.

https://www.uslaxmagazine.com/college/men/why-rutgers’-long-awaited-breakthrough-will-come-in-2019

The Baltimore mafia and the large number of AQs are obstacles that RU has to overcome. For over a generation the slant has been to get a southern team into the finals and the benefit of the doubt to the ACC. In earlier years that worked against the Ivies. Now, the primary victim of this is the B1G.

Nobody knows this better than Coach Brecht and the team. This is why he has continued to improve the schedule, with the inclusion of Loyola, Syracuse, Lehigh as well as Army and Princeton on top of their Big Ten schedule
I also think that the Committee is a little biased against the Big Ten but that is just my opinion.

https://www.uslaxmagazine.com/college/men/why-rutgers’-long-awaited-breakthrough-will-come-in-2019
It's no doubt a tough path...Rutgers is going to have to win some (not all) of those big games and is going to have to go 3-2 in conference and they MUST win a minimum of 1 game in the B1G Tourney...that has to happen...if it does, I think they get in...but it won't be easy and it will be an uphill battle for Rutgers...and frankly I would compare this to how some football teams are treated...especially in my state of Michigan...

Here is a little statement on perception vs reality...and how it does apply to our Rutgers lacrosse situation...

Here in Michigan (Using football) you have a primadonna university (Michigan) that hasn't won anything relevant since 2004...no big ten title in 15 years! But they get treated like they're on common ground with OSU, Bama and Clemson...and they're fane base thinks they're one win away from being back...they ALWAYS get the benefit of the doubt from the media and get the positive narrative written about them at every turn...

Then you have a team (MSU) that has won 3 big ten titles, won a Rose bowl, won a Cotton bowl, been to the CFP, and has won big games constantly over the Dantonio era, and they still get treated like a second to UM...again because of media bias...MSU has achieved way more than UM in the last 10-15 years, but many of you that only follow casually wouldn't know that because of spin and bias...(MSU is 8-3 v UM last 11 years)

So what does that mean for Rutgers lacrosse...they're not getting any favors from a selection committee that a Hopkins or a Maryland will get...or even some ACC teams with supposed bigger names...This Rutgers teams needs to mow its own grass and own the fact they have to bust their way into a bid for the tourney...because if it's left up to a selection committee on a tight vote...they might lose out again...take all the questions out and go have a hell of a season and win the AQ...AT HOME.

At least that is how I see it from a newbie perspective here as a Rutgers lacrosse fan...

Sorry about being long

Okay I’m gonna play devils advocate here (knowing full-well I’m both a fan of BB and okay with this move):

- Season #8 at RU
- under .500 at RU
- ONLY 8-12 in B1G
- NO B1G titles (regular or tourney)
- NO NCAA appearances
- propensity to lose games they shouldn’t/couldn’t which have destroyed post-season aspirations

...how would you feel if this was a HC in any other Olympic sport with all the same circumstances the HC faced when hired?
Need to look at the good and bad. How about for good since you only listed bad.

- ranked #1 in the nation during the 2017 season. (Don’t remember the last program to do that)
- beat 8 nationally ranked programs the past 2 years

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT