ADVERTISEMENT

*** Coaching situation: I am going to post to one thread - answers to your questions ***

John Otterstedt

Hall of Famer
Jul 10, 2001
I have been inundated with emails, as well as posts to this board, asking for a clarification on the status of the head coach. I apologize for deleting some of your posts, but it has been a bit overwhelming given that most are vents.

With that said, I will respond to some of the most common questions that people keep asking:

1) Is there a chance that Kyle Flood will be fired today? No. Not happening. And it's not happening tomorrow, either.

2) Is there a chance that he will be fired before the end of the season? Not likely - at this time. As I have heard from several people, the season would have to tank in SUCH a big way as to get Dr. Barchi's full attention. Otherwise, the plan is what it always is - wait till the end of the season, evaluate the coaches and state of the program, and move from there. At season's end - when the evaluation of the program has been done - then there is a greater chance of a regime change.

At this moment, Dr. Barchi is nowhere near as concerned as you guys are. Not even close. There are those who see the current situation and say, "Bad season, yes. But a lot of guys come back next year and things will be fine. Good teams have bad seasons." On top of that, Rutgers owes less money to the staff after next season, and given all of the openings at higher profile programs this year, the team would be in a better position to grab a higher profile coach next year.

3) So, this is in Barchi's hands? Yes. And if he didn't act on firing Kyle after the negative publicity earlier in the season, it is a pretty safe bet that there won't be movement until the end of the season. As I have been told by several people, the call from fans, media, and big donors (with dollar signs attached) would have to be very, very loud to have movement mid-season -- VERY loud -- or there would have to be some other scandal/bad news that emerged.

4) So, Dr. Barchi isn't concerned that other teams are getting a leg-up on finding a new coach? No. Not at all.

5) If there was a change in regime this year, is Rutgers swinging for the fences with its next hire? They'd swing. I don't think they are going to land the names that many of you are thinking of. I've heard it would take a lot to get Greg back, and by several accounts, he is very happy in Florida and thinks that he has some other options coming his way. Several of the other guys mentioned will have better options. I know that WE all see the "sleeping giant" over here in Piscataway, but a lot of coaches see a PR mess that they'd rather not have to clean up.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News