ADVERTISEMENT

Colorado, Rutgers lead Kool Aid drinkers

I guess Mr. Farrell is upset that no R U players used his player promotion services.

Player Promotion​

Note: For prices of our social media promotion plans, scroll to the bottom of the page.
Mike Farrell Sports player promotion

Last edited:
I remember Farrell being a BC shill back in the day anyway. Unless I'm mistaken, he always hated us. He also doesn't offer one specific point why we are set up for disappointment this year. Really just a shameless ploy for clicks and sad to say, I gave him one. No more, Butchie. No more.

He is kind of a jerk with this, however I do think some of the hype is over the top with RU. A “dark horse playoff contender” is not a reasonable evaluation. The schedule is better than many think. On paper going into the season, I think they will be betting underdogs in 5-6 games. That’s why the Vegas O/U is 6.5 wins. If we win 8, which will not be easy, that would be fantastic.

He is kind of a jerk with this, however I do think some of the hype is over the top with RU. A “dark horse playoff contender” is not a reasonable evaluation. The schedule is better than many think. On paper going into the season, I think they will be betting underdogs in 5-6 games. That’s why the Vegas O/U is 6.5 wins. If we win 8, which will not be easy, that would be fantastic.
Totally agree with this take. Just as I think playoff predictions are over the top, I also think the easy schedule take is over the top. I would be thrilled with 8 wins to finish the season.

Long time RU fans are more used to not doing well to doing well. The first Schiano years were the best once he got his players. It appears that he is pretty happy with what we have and the schedule is certainly nicer than the previous years in the BIG with all of the heavyweights. The chance to have a really good season is definitely there!
But, having us a dark horse contender in the playoffs is a bit much.

FWIW there are three B1G teams on our schedule that are above us in the first ESPN conference ranking. If we go 6-3 in conference and manage to win at VT, that's an awesome season that is one game away from playoff consideration. Things could bounce our way.

Reactions: Fat Koko
All the hype hurts us. It diminishes the joy and accolades we get with a 7-8 win season, which still requires us to do well. Win 7-8 games and the narrative is that we didn't meet the (unreasonable) expectations when it should be that we took another strong step forward building the program.

I could see Colorado falling off a cliff after the first few loses If what the Athletic reported is correct. The locker-room is a mess and they've got bigger problems than just on the field. He's like the anti-Schiano when it comes to culture.

All the hype hurts us. It diminishes the joy and accolades we get with a 7-8 win season, which still requires us to do well. Win 7-8 games and the narrative is that we didn't meet the (unreasonable) expectations when it should be that we took another strong step forward building the program.
Respectfully disagree, to a point
I think the eight win mark would be met with enough happiness by the general fan
Of course, I dream, we all dream,for bigger things

Anyone who's been around Rivals for a significant time remembers Mike Farrell's time here and constant disdain for anything Rutgers football. When you see his name associated with a Rutgers related article, you know it likely won't be positive or even neutral.
I thought that was the same guy as the name was so familiar, but wasn't sure. Thanks for confirming. Those old to the board know him well. This guy has always had an agenda against Rutgers and would go out of his way to post unflattering articles here, knowing he would rile up the fanbase.

Reactions: Kbee3
Anyone who's been around Rivals for a significant time remembers Mike Farrell's time here and constant disdain for anything Rutgers football. When you see his name associated with a Rutgers related article, you know it likely won't be positive or even neutral.
That's the way I remember him.

A dark horse is a huge longshot that needs nearly everything to break their way. If you go by that definition then RU can be considered a dark horse. We should be in every game and with a lot of breaks, we could go undefeated. We could also easily lose a bunch of games too.

Reactions: Eagleton96
I think there are two unknowns:

1. Injuries - They can make or break a season. We have to stay healthy for us to have a chance for a winning season.
2. QB Play - If Kaliakmanis can reliably hit receivers for 5-10 yard gains and avoid turnovers, then that will open up the running game, and that's when the magic will happen. I have full confidence in our defense and our running game. If our passing game can even look "pretty good," that will give us enough to have a successful season.

Scarlet Jerry

Reactions: Kbee3
There are valid arguments for why we won't get many wins and also valid arguments for why we will get a lot of wins. I wouldn't be shocked if we only won 5 games nor would I be shocked if we won 7 games.

Farrel is a guest on Full Ride on Sirius xm.
He’s basically a curmudgeon who hates everybody.
Dosen’t make him a bad guy.
Easy to see why Rutgers fans don’t like him.
( I didn’t for a long time).
To listen to him regularly, I think a lot of other schools fans don’t like him
He’s an equal opportunity hater.
When you realize that, it’s kind of comical.

As far as his Rutgers/Colorado goes…Rutgers has 82% of our experienced players back, opposed to 70% for the Prime Time Players.

I would. Why would a mod continually post negative articles about the team?
Why not?

Anyway, I don’t really find that short blurb to be particularly negative. It’s just a bit of hard truth.

RU has pretty much sucked while in the Big Ten. And going from having a winning season last season to being a playoff team this season is, while possible for any team, pretty unlikely for us this season. The team has done nothing, so far, to demonstrate that sort of dominance.

Being negative would be saying we won’t get to 6 wins. Thinking we should get to 10 wins is just setting oneself up for a letdown. Realistically, the schedule is still filled with good football teams that will be hard to beat. It is possible to play really good football all season long and still wind up with 5 or 6 wins.

We all hope it’ll be a great season with lots of wins. We have some reasons to be optimistic. But, IMO, recognizing our demonstrated reality is not being negative; it’s just not lying to ourselves.

Reactions: PSAL_Hoops

1. Injuries - They can make or break a season. We have to stay healthy for us to have a chance for a winning season.
2. QB Play - If Kaliakmanis can reliably hit receivers for 5-10 yard gains and avoid turnovers, then that will open up the running game, and that's when the magic will happen. I have full confidence in our defense and our running game. If our passing game can even look "pretty good," that will give us enough to have a successful season.

Scarlet Jerry
The biggest unknown is how good our opponents will be. ‘Cause everybody’s working to be better than last season, not just us.

Reactions: zappaa

Scarlet Jerry
Boy, number one on your list is my big concern for a big season. We still have way too many player bottlenecks but our depth has certainly improved at this point. We shall see.

As far as his Rutgers/Colorado goes…Rutgers has 82% of our experienced players back, opposed to 70% for the Prime Time Players.
He churned through another 40 players this year after churning through 57 players the year before. These are all transfers not kids graduating. He's been there just over a year and has already gone through an entire college football roster.

Last edited:
I'm going to state the obvious. If there was ever a year for unbridled optimism for RU sports, this is the year. Even realist, such as Plum have stated that we could very well be in consideration for a playoff spot at some point in the season. You pessimists will have you're day again, as it will be very difficult to maintain the set up we have for this year and guys like Kyle, Powell and Lewis will be gone. Same with Basketball. Please spare us, if you don't see the reason for optimism this year, then you are clueless as Ferrell

I'm going to state the obvious. If there was ever a year for unbridled optimism for RU sports, this is the year. Even realist, such as Plum have stated that we could very well be in consideration for a playoff spot at some point in the season. You pessimists will have you're day again, as it will be very difficult to maintain the set up we have for this year and guys like Kyle, Powell and Lewis will be gone. Same with Basketball. Please spare us, if you don't see the reason for optimism this year, then you are clueless as Ferrell
Who is being pessimistic in this thread? My post was probably the most “dose of reality” themed, and even I said there are reasons for optimism in that post.

As for cluelessness, we’re discussing the future which is a subject about which everybody’s clueless. I mean, unless someone here has a functioning crystal ball or can time-travel.

Who is being pessimistic in this thread? My post was probably the most “dose of reality” themed, and even I said there are reasons for optimism in that post.

As for cluelessness, we’re discussing the future which is a subject about which everybody’s clueless. I mean, unless someone here has a functioning crystal ball or can time-travel.
My point is this year is different and that should be a common opinion among RU fans, including long-suffering ones. Become unbridled and enjoy.

Why not?

Anyway, I don’t really find that short blurb to be particularly negative. It’s just a bit of hard truth.

RU has pretty much sucked while in the Big Ten. And going from having a winning season last season to being a playoff team this season is, while possible for any team, pretty unlikely for us this season. The team has done nothing, so far, to demonstrate that sort of dominance.

Being negative would be saying we won’t get to 6 wins. Thinking we should get to 10 wins is just setting oneself up for a letdown. Realistically, the schedule is still filled with good football teams that will be hard to beat. It is possible to play really good football all season long and still wind up with 5 or 6 wins.

We all hope it’ll be a great season with lots of wins. We have some reasons to be optimistic. But, IMO, recognizing our demonstrated reality is not being negative; it’s just not lying to ourselves.
Well, to say "Rutgers is never good" is pretty negative and actually false. If he were to say Rutgers hasn't been good since 2012 (or 2006), then I can't really disagree. But his statement is actually a lie. The guy isn't objective. And I wouldn't call him a professional in the traditional sense. His opinion doesn't carry much weight for me because it's always soaked in personal bias.

Well, to say "Rutgers is never good" is pretty negative and actually false. If he were to say Rutgers hasn't been good since 2012 (or 2006), then I can't really disagree. But his statement is actually a lie. The guy isn't objective. And I wouldn't call him a professional in the traditional sense. His opinion doesn't carry much weight for me because it's always soaked in personal bias.
Rutgers has never been good in football in the Big Ten. At least not by my definition of good.

Our fans can be optimistic if that’s what they want. But we can’t reasonably expect non-RU fans, like the author of the linked article, to be optimistic with us or to ignore our prior Big Ten results.

As a RUFB fan, I see reasons for optimism and hope now. But it’s still early days. If the team goes 6 and 6 and goes to a bowl, I’ll be okay with that. It would be enough, hopefully, to keep most of the commits for the following year. If we win 8 or 9 games, that would be tremendous.

Lastly, who cares what that guy said? Or what anybody else says? None of it means a thing.

All that matters is the results at the end of the year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT