ADVERTISEMENT

Colorado, Rutgers lead Kool Aid drinkers

Kool Aid Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

Rutgers has never been good in football in the Big Ten. At least not by my definition of good.

Our fans can be optimistic if that’s what they want. But we can’t reasonably expect non-RU fans, like the author of the linked article, to be optimistic with us or to ignore our prior Big Ten results.

As a RUFB fan, I see reasons for optimism and hope now. But it’s still early days. If the team goes 6 and 6 and goes to a bowl, I’ll be okay with that. It would be enough, hopefully, to keep most of the commits for the following year. If we win 8 or 9 games, that would be tremendous.

Lastly, who cares what that guy said? Or what anybody else says? None of it means a thing.

All that matters is the results at the end of the year.
It's a senoir-laden team with two- buy weeks at ideal times. 6-6 is a low standard for this team. The year after, being a devopment program who has done average in the transfer portal, we should expect a step back, since we will lose a lot. Do you always hedge regardless of circumstance?

I think there are two unknowns:

1. Injuries - They can make or break a season. We have to stay healthy for us to have a chance for a winning season.
2. QB Play - If Kaliakmanis can reliably hit receivers for 5-10 yard gains and avoid turnovers, then that will open up the running game, and that's when the magic will happen. I have full confidence in our defense and our running game. If our passing game can even look "pretty good," that will give us enough to have a successful season.

Scarlet Jerry
I think K-Man will be pretty good at QB...expectations are manageable and the team around him is better. Staying Optimistic early on !!!

He churned through another 40 players this year after churning through 57 players the year before. These are all transfers not kids graduating. He's been there just over a year and has already gone through an entire college
Aren’t you glad that’s not us??!

Reactions: koleszar
Rutgers has never been good in football in the Big Ten. At least not by my definition of good.

Our fans can be optimistic if that’s what they want. But we can’t reasonably expect non-RU fans, like the author of the linked article, to be optimistic with us or to ignore our prior Big Ten results.

As a RUFB fan, I see reasons for optimism and hope now. But it’s still early days. If the team goes 6 and 6 and goes to a bowl, I’ll be okay with that. It would be enough, hopefully, to keep most of the commits for the following year. If we win 8 or 9 games, that would be tremendous.

Lastly, who cares what that guy said? Or what anybody else says? None of it means a thing.

Ferrell didn't qualify his statement. You did. Ferrell 's statement is not factual. And even if it were, a true professional would not disparage an entire program and it's history for no reason. It's not necessary for his "story" which is so lazily written a 4th grader could submit something more compelling.

Reactions: cubuffsdoug
Ferrell didn't qualify his statement. You did. Ferrell 's statement is not factual. And even if it were, a true professional would not disparage an entire program and it's history for no reason. It's not necessary for his "story" which is so lazily written a 4th grader could submit something more compelling.
Again, who cares what he says? I don’t understand why people give this sort of BS a second thought.

Either the team will do well or it won’t. It doesn’t matter what happened in the past or what anybody thinks will happen. Only matters what happens.

Reactions: zappaa

We have never even had a 500 record in the conference. We have fans dismissing that based on having to play the best teams in the conference - but it’s not like we’ve been dominating against teams like Wisconsin, Minny, Nebraska (we’ve never beaten those teams). Now suddenly we’re going to beat all of them except USC? We have more depth than we used to, but there are still certain players that it would really hurt for us to lose to injury and not necessarily even the obvious ones. If Pierce goes down our OL likely takes a tremendous hit immediately. Keeping guys like him healthy is critical for expecting even a 500 season. Vedral looked like a completely different player once we lost Sutton. There are guys on the OL that we can’t afford to lose - for sure.

Reactions: mildone
We have never even had a 500 record in the conference. We have fans dismissing that based on having to play the best teams in the conference - but it’s not like we’ve been dominating against teams like Wisconsin, Minny, Nebraska (we’ve never beaten those teams). Now suddenly we’re going to beat all of them except USC? We have more depth than we used to, but there are still certain players that it would really hurt for us to lose to injury and not necessarily even the obvious ones. If Pierce goes down our OL likely takes a tremendous hit immediately. Keeping guys like him healthy is critical for expecting even a 500 season. Vedral looked like a completely different player once we lost Sutton. There are guys on the OL that we can’t afford to lose - for sure.
That's basically how I see things.

The team has reasons for optimism: an easier schedule, lots of returning starters, etc. The program is definitely moving in the right direction and is slowly, season by season, building up the necessary depth to survive injuries to any player(s) and continue at the same level.

But just because things are better aligned for us this season than in prior Big Ten seasons doesn't magically elevate us to greatness. We have an easier schedule, but not an easy schedule. We are building depth, not deep across the board. So talk of Big Ten championships or CFB playoff contention is crazy talk.

Sure, crazier things have happened and anything's possible before the games have been played. There's nothing at all wrong with fans hoping for greatness. I hope the team goes undefeated and wins a national championship. It's totally reasonable to hope for 8 or 9 or more wins.

But if everybody were to expect greatness and we just turn out to be a little bit better than last season, that's going to create a sour note around the program due far more to unreasonable expectations than to any failure of performance. When in reality, we should be celebrating the continuing improvement.

It's hope versus expectation. Hope is a fine thing. Unreasonably high expectations, OTOH, is a prescription for unhappiness.

I prefer happiness. 😀

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT