ADVERTISEMENT

“Has a coach ever been more important to a school than Greg Schiano is to Rutgers?”

Regarding coaches, what would Notre Dame be without Knute Rockne?

A May 8, 1969 Targum article interviewed Rutgers athletes about the attitude of taking football and sports up to a higher level, “… our whole athletic department is full of men who are contented with second class and keeping Rutgers at the level with small private schools like Lehigh, Lafayette and Colgate,” chimed in one of the frustrated athletes. “It’s good for some of the young coaches like Jim Valvano to get out on their own, and it will only be time before we lose other good coaches like (swimming coach Frank) Elm, basketball coach Bill Foster and Frank Burns of the football team because of our stuffy policies.”

Maybe something like the University of St. Francis in Illinois. If your response is "who?", then you understand what Rockne meant to ND.

Shellenburger at U of Miami is probably the closet one IMO
He's the closest to Schiano? A guy who brought a school from nowhere to the start of a decade of dominance in the sport is "close" to Schiano?

I'm not even sure how Schiano is even in the discussion for the thread title. I think he's done a good job but the answer to the question is, "yes, there have been many".

I greatly dislike this sort of adulation.

GS has been doing a good job so far in his second stint here. He deserves appreciation for his work. But he hasn’t won anything yet but some games.

And even if he takes the team to repeated national championships, it’s still just a coach doing a great job. He’s not the only person who can do it. Many other coaches have won championships at many other schools.

None of them, nor GS, should be hero-worshipped. It’s tacky and undignified. It’s always undignified to worship another human being. That’s what cults are made of and cults suck.
Thread is a joke!

I like Schiano. I think he’s the guy we need today. But he’s not even the best coach that Rutgers has ever had. That man would be John Bateman. He went 73-51 at Rutgers and literally… LITERALLY… wrote the book on football tactics. The man was a PhD and assistant coach to Lou Little at Columbia before coming to Rutgers. They don’t even MAKE EM that impressive anymore

Reactions: MADHAT1
I vividly remember all the 2008-12 calls to get rid of Schiano to "take the next step."
People were bored of mediocre bowls every year - then they learned
people tend to forget things like you mentioned.
Some just claim they never felt that way, it was others: not them.
I was sad to see Greg leave for the pros , but I wasn't very sad about it because I felt (by 2011) Schiano was the type of HC that would have a winning program every year , but not at the elite level I wanted.
So though I liked Greg as the HC, I felt to be among the best Rutgers needed a change.
Many complained about Greg's salary compared to production, I didn't think he was overpaid and felt he recruited the type of talent that could make RU an elite program , just thought his game-day skills wasn't good enough to make Rutgers an elite program .
The change came, but the administration cheeped out and it was back to the dumpster again .

Reactions: ashokan
Thread is a joke!
To be fair, the OP merely reposted an online article without commentary. And it’s not entirely without interest to RUFB fans.

But I obviously agree that hero-worship of coaches, or athletes, entertainers, politicians, etc. is always a joke. A really bad joke.

A firefighter running into a burning building ro save lives is a hero. A soldier that dives on a grenade to save others’ lives is a hero. A person that dives into rushing floodwater to try to save someone is a hero. But even those real heroes should not be worshipped - adulation is still not appropriate even for them.

people tend to forget things like you mentioned.
Some just claim they never felt that way, it was others: not them.
I was sad to see Greg leave for the pros , but I wasn't very sad about it because I felt (by 2011) Schiano was the type of HC that would have a winning program every year , but not at the elite level I wanted.
So though I liked Greg as the HC, I felt to be among the best Rutgers needed a change.
Many complained about Greg's salary compared to production, I didn't think he was overpaid and felt he recruited the type of talent that could make RU an elite program , just thought his game-day skills wasn't good enough to make Rutgers an elite program .
The change came, but the administration cheeped out and it was back to the dumpster again .
nope when he left i was bummed big time. i knew things would change for the worse for a long time. i knew flood pretty well obviously and liked him but we knew he was not the guy. then Ash toll control and totally ran it into the ground. thank God greg is back.

nope when he left i was bummed big time. i knew things would change for the worse for a long time. i knew flood pretty well obviously and liked him but we knew he was not the guy. then Ash toll control and totally ran it into the ground. thank God greg is back.
Yes thankfully Greg is back.
When Greg left I thought Rutgers would pay around what he was making to the new HC, but they went on the cheap and got what they paid for , ruining what Schiano built .
I put my feelings as Schiano gave me high expectations and fell a little short of what kind of program I came to expect RU to have , because of how Greg made it into a constant winner starting in 2005.
By 20O9 I expected a BCS bowl team and when Greg left I thought Rutgers would bring in someone who would do what Greg failed to accomplish.
Flood was able to use Schanio's players to win , but as they left you could see the drop in overal talent he was bringing in.
Ash was a Terry Shea type disaster

Yes thankfully Greg is back.
When Greg left I thought Rutgers would pay around what he was making to the new HC, but they went on the cheap and got what they paid for , ruining what Schiano built .
I put my feelings as Schiano gave me high expectations and fell a little short of what kind of program I came to expect RU to have , because of how Greg made it into a constant winner starting in 2005.
By 20O9 I expected a BCS bowl team and when Greg left I thought Rutgers would bring in someone who would do what Greg failed to accomplish.
Flood was able to use Schanio's players to win , but as they left you could see the drop in overal talent he was bringing in.
Ash was a Terry Shea type disaster
spot on

sure schiano is up there

Osborne
Snyder
Schnellenberger
Bowden
Schembechler
Woody
Paterno (the cult is alive and well).
Dabo
Bowden was my first thought. I went back and took a look. The 3 years before he arrived, FSU was 0-11, 1-10, 3-8. This would be like Schiano taking over for Shea and eventually winning a couple national championships.

Bowden was my first thought. I went back and took a look. The 3 years before he arrived, FSU was 0-11, 1-10, 3-8. This would be like Schiano taking over for Shea and eventually winning a couple national championships.
The Schiano boot lickers would counter that FSU was in a much easier conference and that GS has done a better job than Bobby ever did just by getting to 6-6 last year

I greatly dislike this sort of adulation.

GS has been doing a good job so far in his second stint here. He deserves appreciation for his work. But he hasn’t won anything yet but some games.

And even if he takes the team to repeated national championships, it’s still just a coach doing a great job. He’s not the only person who can do it. Many other coaches have won championships at many other schools.

None of them, nor GS, should be hero-worshipped. It’s tacky and undignified. It’s always undignified to worship another human being. That’s what cults are made of and cults suck.
Schiano. Is. God. Oh wait that's a typo...I meant to say good. 😘

Reactions: Kbee3
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT