ADVERTISEMENT

Condi Rice Backs Out of Commencement Speech

Originally posted by TonyLieske:

Originally posted by camdenlawprof:
I am perfectly serious. She was invited to give a speech. She was attacked bitterly by people who are unwilling to listen to other points of view -- not her fault. My guess is that she withdrew because she didn't want to be exposed to even more attacks, and to possible attempts to embarrass her at graduation. That is a classic example of a victim.
She JUST spoke at another university where she went through the exact same thing, and she gives speeches ALL THE TIME.

If she seriously thought she was going to give a commencement address at Rutgers and there would be NO dissent whatsoever...I am sorry she is just dumb. It would be the equivalent of me going to the beach for vacation and then canceling my trip because I found out I might get some sand in my shoes.
3dgrin.r191677.gif

I guess the other difference is you see a "bitter attack" and I see a few bored college kids "protesting" most likely because it was something fun to do (and they left when it stopped being fun). Protests are a pretty routine thing on college campuses I think. At least they were when I was in school.
confused0024.r191677.gif
Seriously - didnt anyone see PCU (which incindentally, is 20 years old this year.)

Originally posted by camdenlawprof:
Tony,

I also see a lot of participation from faculty who should know better.
And I was surprised to find out that a large number of the students involved were muslim......

Originally posted by srru86:
This has become quite the fashion:
Philly Inquirer
Haverford commencement speaker backs out
These examples of Rice and the UC Berkeley admin are not anomalies. It's happening all over the US. I just read a story in the LA TIMES yesterday (sorry I don't have the link) where more than a dozen schools had their speakers back out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT