ADVERTISEMENT

Corey Sanders back soon

RU-Choppin-Ohio

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 31, 2011
Cb81yRwVIAAYOv9.jpg

Unless he does something stupid again and gets suspended for a second time. Or transfers. Someone that went to 6 or 7 high schools is always a flight risk.
Well at least he did honor his commitment and RU has had recruiting problems in the past even getting top recruits.
Usually those that did come, didn't pan out or were driven away.

OP and BAC are equally terrible in their own unique way.

I'm positive and optimistic.....don't compare me to someone who consistently beats the drum of negativity. Someone who can't bring himsel to utter a single positive word in support of the players trying their best. Someone who questions the IQ of a player who made an off the court mistake and is paying the price like a man without complaint.

I'm really excited that the only two big guys coming back are returning from broken feet and no other bigs have been signed yet (unless A 185 pound 6-9 guy qualifies as a Big Ten center.)

Reactions: Kbee3 and RUonBrain
Of course Minnesota doesn't plan on getting any better. Think they just wanna stay with 2 wins next year. Oh...and Penn St....... only 2 wins also for them even though they have the #1 recruiting class. This ways its easier to get that 8 win plan for RU.

Reactions: bac2therac
OP and BAC are equally terrible in their own unique way.

Two guys repeating the same thing over and over. I often wonder what compels them. Is it something akin to OCD?

I wonder if I put them both on ignore if the basketball board will collapse onto itself.

Team has not packed it in without Corey... Will be interesting to see how it goes with him back on the court.

You know, looking at the guys run the offense, we definitely have some great plays. We just need the players to do it! I believe in Eddie's X's and O's. Have to step it up on the S&C and end the injuries, and keep it up on the recruiting trail. Sloppy play and repeated turnovers by the same player(s), there's only so much a coach can teach a bad team. Could Calapari get wins with those 6 players? No. Unfortunate occurrences this year, but if you can't see the light for next season just you wait.

Reactions: RUMountie
You know, looking at the guys run the offense, we definitely have some great plays. We just need the players to do it! I believe in Eddie's X's and O's. Have to step it up on the S&C and end the injuries, and keep it up on the recruiting trail. Sloppy play and repeated turnovers by the same player(s), there's only so much a coach can teach a bad team. Could Calapari get wins with those 6 players? No. Unfortunate occurrences this year, but if you can't see the light for next season just you wait.
Lol

all this consists of is wishful thinking...Laurent, Williams and Foreman looked bad last night against the worst team in the league. They are marginal Big 10 talents. So you keep talking about players..we simply don't have them. Sanders, Freeman and Johnson maybe legit B10 talents but that's not going to get you anywhere when the majority of the schools have 10 of them and the other bottom schools have about 5 or 6. So there is your problem there and then you have a coach who hasn't figured out how to get players to overcheive not to mention wins.

so light? I don't see it with this regime.

all this consists of is wishful thinking...Laurent, Williams and Foreman looked bad last night against the worst team in the league. They are marginal Big 10 talents. So you keep talking about players..we simply don't have them. Sanders, Freeman and Johnson maybe legit B10 talents but that's not going to get you anywhere when the majority of the schools have 10 of them and the other bottom schools have about 5 or 6. So there is your problem there and then you have a coach who hasn't figured out how to get players to overcheive not to mention wins.

so light? I don't see it with this regime.
We will continue to play horrendous defense guaranteed

not sure why posters are discussing me as if this is the BAC discussion thread. Its a RU mens basketball message board. Repeatedly instead of discussing the issues, posters make comments about me and my repetitiveness. I post a lot...deal with it. Discuss the problems not the posters

Reactions: RocktheRac
. . . . Sanders, Freeman and Johnson maybe legit B10 talents . . .

Sanders is a very good B1G talent with a question mark about his stability.

Freeman is a solid B1G player, as he was good for about 13-14ppg and 5-6 bounds in non-conference play. But he isn't a top B1G player, and he's got a question mark about stability too.

Johnson is, well, all question mark, as he checks in as this year's annual version of the rumored best player on our team who isn't playing.

And then there's the rest of the team.

last nights performance against the 2nd worst team in league would say otherwise. Yes he has had a few very good games for RU. What that translates to Im not so sure. With Johnson in the lineup and Freeman also get plenty of shots, its going to reduce Laurents offensive output unless he develops a jumper and ive yet to see him do little more layups. He also has to work on his defense big time and bulk...so perhaps he could be a Big 10 role player but a lot of projecting going on right now

last nights performance against the 2nd worst team in league would say otherwise. Yes he has had a few very good games for RU. What that translates to Im not so sure. With Johnson in the lineup and Freeman also get plenty of shots, its going to reduce Laurents offensive output unless he develops a jumper and ive yet to see him do little more layups. He also has to work on his defense big time and bulk...so perhaps he could be a Big 10 role player but a lot of projecting going on right now

Johnson is not taking minutes from Laurent....that is laughable...you realize Laurent is a freshman (just checking)

not minutes...Im talking about shots...Sanders, Johnson, and Freeman are going to take the most shots and play the most important offensive roles. We shall see if Laurent even starts as we could see Freeman/Foreman/Doorson

Laurent has shown that he can play the 3, 4 and 5. So there are plenty of minutes for him. If he's playing minutes, there are plenty of opportunities for him to score. Johnson will impact Williams

I don't know if Freeman will play more than about 22 minutes a game. I believe Foreman and Laurent will still each have to get considerable minutes too. I see something like the following for minutes next year.

PF Freeman (22), Foreman (18)
C Doorson (18), Diallo (16), Foreman (6)
SF Laurent (18), Thiam (12), Dailey (10)
PG Sanders (30), Johnson (10)
SG Johnson (16), Williams (18), Goode (4),, Tripp (2)

Total minutes for each player by my guess work at this moment.

Sanders 30
Johnson 26
Foreman 24
Freeman 22
Williams 18
Laurent 18
Doorson 18
Diallo 16
Thiam 12
Dailey 10
Goode 4
Tripp 2

Of course this is all just guess work and could be way off. Adding or losing a player or more could drastically affect these minutes.

Laurent is athletic with a good first step but he can't shoot.

I don't know how anyone can say he can be a solid 3 man in this league when he can't shoot a 3.

I don't know if Freeman will play more than about 22 minutes a game. I believe Foreman and Laurent will still each have to get considerable minutes too. I see something like the following for minutes next year.

PF Freeman (22), Foreman (18)
C Doorson (18), Diallo (16), Foreman (6)
SF Laurent (18), Thiam (12), Dailey (10)
PG Sanders (30), Johnson (10)
SG Johnson (16), Williams (18), Goode (4),, Tripp (2)

Total minutes for each player by my guess work at this moment.

Sanders 30
Johnson 26
Foreman 24
Freeman 22
Williams 18
Laurent 18
Doorson 18
Diallo 16
Thiam 12
Dailey 10
Goode 4
Tripp 2

Of course this is all just guess work and could be way off. Adding or losing a player or more could drastically affect these minutes.
Doesn't Freeman have to be on the team to get minutes?

I'm positive and optimistic.....don't compare me to someone who consistently beats the drum of negativity. Someone who can't bring himsel to utter a single positive word in support of the players trying their best. Someone who questions the IQ of a player who made an off the court mistake and is paying the price like a man without complaint.

"Paying the price like a man", lol...you have to admit, this dude comes up with some comical sh*t.

not sure why posters are discussing me as if this is the BAC discussion thread. Its a RU mens basketball message board. Repeatedly instead of discussing the issues, posters make comments about me and my repetitiveness. I post a lot...deal with it. Discuss the problems not the posters

That's an honest post....you agree about your repetitiveness.

Two big developing centers back next year...

What are they developing ?
Honestly, they ARE big. But beyond that appears from here to be wishful thinking.
Apparently Jordan is doing the same, 'cause I don't see him loading up on size in the current recruiting class.

I believe Freeman will be back. Where would he go? He would have to sit a year if he decided to transfer. Eddie said at last week's Court Club meeting that he expects him to be back.

I believe Freeman will be back. Where would he go? He would have to sit a year if he decided to transfer. Eddie said at last week's Court Club meeting that he expects him to be back.
He's a JUCO who was not cleared for RU until he finished summer classes. He was suspended indefinitely right when the spring semester opened. I'm speculating but that sounds like an academics issue. I think there's a big chance he winds up like Ryan Johnson (academically ineligible year one - gone year 2 - without a landing place). I would not hold my breath on Freeman. And in Eddies position what do you think he would say. Flood expected Barnwell back too.

Last edited:
Laurent has shown that he can play the 3 . . .

This is one of those fan-based analyses that I don't get. Sure, he's played those positions. But if he can't shoot, what exactly do you mean by "can play the 3"? Because if he can't shoot, he won't play it well. There's a reason that RU has had players like this and continues to lose. There's always something missing (often shooting). It's like the land of misfit toys.

Reactions: bac2therac
What are they developing ?
Honestly, they ARE big. But beyond that appears from here to be wishful thinking.
Apparently Jordan is doing the same, 'cause I don't see him loading up on size in the current recruiting class.

Of course it's positive thinking. Even though Doorson and Diallo are not playing, hopefully, they are working on their upper body...getting stronger. You also learn by watching, learn by doing film study. It's like a backup QB, they don't get thenpractice reps but they learn a awful lot by watching from the sideline.

Of course it's positive thinking. Even though Doorson and Diallo are not playing, hopefully, they are working on their upper body...getting stronger. You also learn by watching, learn by doing film study.

I think he said wishful, not positive.

That said, Greg Lewis did a tremendous job working on his upper body during a redshirt year. I'm sure he watched the games and film. And now a few years later he's not much different. Size ain't enough, nor is size and hard work. There has to be talent.

Reactions: Kbee3
I don't understand the gist of this thread. We ALL KNOW that Corey "is back soon." Okay, great, but Sanders will be back and we'll still most likely lose both remaining games and our B1G tourney game. One of them, likely, by 25+ points. Maybe - MAYBE - by the freakin' Grace of God we'll beat Minnesota, however, I sure as hell wouldn't bet on us to do so. This is not me putting down the kids in the program, by the way, this is just being 100% honest/realistic regarding the status of this current team. It's just NOT good in any way, shape, or form right now.

This is one of those fan-based analyses that I don't get. Sure, he's played those positions. But if he can't shoot, what exactly do you mean by "can play the 3"? Because if he can't shoot, he won't play it well. There's a reason that RU has had players like this and continues to lose. There's always something missing (often shooting). It's like the land of misfit toys.
can't judge Laurent yet, hopefully works on his game where something there other than athleticism around the rim.I expect more from him than Williams next season.

Reactions: RUMountie
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT