ADVERTISEMENT

Corey Sanders was a highlight machine in the 2018 BigTen tourney at MSG

yet another RU player making the Hoosiers their daddy.

that split of the weak double team is Indiana in a nutshell over the years. just so weak. I mean smart play by Sanders (and a fantastic dunk) but if they played that double more aggressively Sanders never would have had the opportunity to split the double. but of course they didnt so....

He was great, it clicked for him, and I remember thinking it's too bad he was graduating, if he had 1 more year. While a much different player, it was a similar thought I had years before with Eric Clark, when it appeared to click for him in the 98 BET run to the semis--if he was on the 98-99 team, they go dancing (esp since not getting the PF who went to Texas Tech).

He was a big part of Steve’s rebuild, a spark of light in the early years.
The program actually took off when Sanders left. Sanders not coming back is what jump started the program.

While Corey was here we won 7 conference games in 3 years. he leaves and we win 7 games the next season.

He shot 27.4% from 3 in his career on a decent amount of shots.
He had an effective FG% of 40.6 and 41.9 his last 2 years
We were 283rd according to Bart in offense his last year. He leaves and we jump to 151st.

People have fond memories of 2 or 3 conference tournament games before the real teams arrived at MSG. People forget all the losses and all the missed shots and head down drives with his right hand to the rim.

Last edited:
The program actually took off when Sanders left. Sanders not coming back is what jump started the program.

While Corey was here we won 7 conference games in 3 years. he leaves and we win 7 games the next season.

We were 283rd according to Bart in offense his last year. He leaves and we jump to 151st.

People have fond memories of 2 or 3 conference tournament games before the real teams arrived at MSG. People forget all the losses and all the missed shots and head down drives with his right hand to the rim.
Some guys know they can create their own shot and get a decent look whenever they want.

In this regard Simpson reminded me of Corey. High volume shooters that got good looks for themselves but couldn’t hit enough of them.

Similarly they were both pretty good defenders.

And unfortunately, they both were head-down drivers in the lane preferring to shoot contested shots versus finding an open man for the assist.

Reactions: runrutgersrun
Where Corey could have helped the process of turning the program around was his buy in his junior year to play defense. There is no doubt he turned in to a PLUS defender in his final year.

Reactions: runrutgersrun
Didn't he actually have one more year, but left to play professionally? Seem to recall a family issue.

That Indiana game was tremendous. SOOOO many truly obnoxious Indy fans left MSG in complete meltdown mode.
IU fans were 10/10 on the douche scale that game
Truly one of the most bizarre, redneck & disillusioned bunch of geeks living in the past I’ve ever encountered at any sporting event

We make the tournament a year early if he stayed.

As far as college highlight reels go, that one with Corey is one of the best ever.
I don't believe I see it in this outrageous highlight tape but I saw a simple cross over move from Corey once where he just left an Indiana guy so lost that the poor guy is probably still looking for his jock to this day. He had one of the crazy quickest cross over dribbles I have seen...even though you knew he was going right most of the time he left guys in his dust! One of my favorites. He helped keep the door open until Pike was able to right the ship. Thank you, Corey! Go RU!

I don't believe I see it in this outrageous highlight tape but I saw a simple cross over move from Corey once where he just left an Indiana guy so lost that the poor guy is probably still looking for his jock to this day. He had one of the crazy quickest cross over dribbles I have seen...even though you knew he was going right most of the time he left guys in his dust! One of my favorites. He helped keep the door open until Pike was able to right the ship. Thank you, Corey! Go RU!
Very quick first step, outstanding crossover move, incredible ability to stop on a dime, plus being a tremendous leaper made him virtually unstoppable at times.

Agree. Corey was a human highlight machine, but his irrational confidence made him really inefficient. If we look back, his offensive rating and efficiency probably fit right in with the numbers from last years team more than any other since then.
Basically Derek Simpson a bit more flashy and a bit better

They are basically the same player. What did Corey do better than Derek? The only answer would be a mid range shot....and in today's basketball that isn't much of a good thing.

We won a grand total of 7 conference games in the 3 years he was here. People forget how bad we were offensively with him. He was the guy with the basketball in his hands ALL THE TIME.

His junior year 2 of the starters shot 37 and 38% from 3! The narrative can't be he had no one to pass to. He beat his man off the dribble and tried to finish everytime. Opposing coaches knew help could sell out because he wasn't passing.

So we were 283rd in offense with a 37% and 38% 3 point shooter and Corey had no fault?

Last edited:
They are basically the same player. What did Corey do better than Derek? The only answer would be a mid range shot....and in today's basketball that isn't much of a good thing.

We won a grand total of 7 conference games in the 3 years he was here. People forget how bad we were offensively with him. He was the guy with the basketball in his hands ALL THE TIME.

His junior year 2 of the starters shot 37 and 38% from 3! The narrative can't be he had no one to pass to. He beat his man off the dribble and tried to finish everytime. Opposing coaches knew help could sell out because he wasn't passing.

So we were 283rd in offense with a 37% and 38% 3 point shooter and Corey had no fault?
Corey shot like 20% higher from the field, cmon.

Really? Next time, please read the room and just let fans enjoy the memory.

8% better - significant - please forgive me for a bit of hyperbole. Gun to your head, you have to pick one to finish a layup, who you picking? Hit a 3, who you picking?
Sanders. Point being sanders was a slightly better version of Simpson. Both are guys you cant win with because both cant shoot and they dont have vision when penetrating. Both were main reasons for RU having terrible offenses. Both terribly inefficient for the same reasons.

Sanders. Point being sanders was a slightly better version of Simpson. Both are guys you cant win with because both cant shoot and they dont have vision when penetrating. Both were main reasons for RU having terrible offenses. Both terribly inefficient for the same reasons.
I wouldn’t say slightly. He was a good degree better.

Where they were similar is they were both streaky shooters

They were both both pretty bad shooters. Corey was an advanced athlete. Neither got any better following up their freshman year.
Corey got pretty shredded by his junior year. Do you remember how soft he was freshman year? He definitely got his body at pro level. Having said that… ur right that the stats don’t necessarily show he got any better

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT