ADVERTISEMENT

More schedule

RU72

All American
Gold Member
Jul 25, 2001
1. Virtually positive Duke was a false alarm and is not happening at MSG, or anywhere.

2. Work is underway for at least 1 neutral site games not on the east coast in November,but no specific intelligence as to where. Thinking SEC.

3. A Big Ten game at MSG looms large and 3 people have pointed to UCLA. No clue as to who would get the home game or neutral designation.

1. Virtually positive Duke was a false alarm and is not happening at MSG, or anywhere.

2. Work is underway for at least 1 neutral site games not on the east coast in November,but no specific intelligence as to where. Thinking SEC.

3. A Big Ten game at MSG looms large and 3 people have pointed to UCLA. No clue as to who would get the home game or neutral designation.
2024-25 scheduling is a VERY interesting topic.

We will (or can) ascend to another level for exposure for the program. But we need to put ourselves out there.

1. I guess the smoke for a game vs Duke is fading. Would’ve been a really cool matchup for the young guys. I still think we need a pre-Jan game vs a brand name next year.

2. A November holiday tournament game/s is a MUST !! MSG for Jimmy V is such a no-brainer. There are plenty of others but I think next season we gotta be in one of these and draw a good power conference opponent. How are the Maui invitational teams selected ?

3. Playing in the Garden is a privilege and should grow as a point of pride for RU and their claim to nyc . We’ve gotten good turnouts. UCLA would be a fine opponent there. I’m okay giving up alternating home and away games for a MSG game once a year or every other year.

Lastly I’m curious if our TV scheduling improves next season. More prime network games vs always on BTN. Big ten gets lots of CBS and Fox spots next year. MD has grabbed a few of those this year. No reason RU shouldn’t be featured A LOT more next season

For better or worse, I'm pretty sure our scheduling next year is going to be pretty similar to our scheduling for this year and other years. There will be a bunch of fan driven noise about "upgrading the schedule" and maybe some tiny steps in that direction but no significant changes.

Reactions: Scangg and kcg88

We will (or can) ascend to another level for exposure for the program. But we need to put ourselves out there.

1. I guess the smoke for a game vs Duke is fading. Would’ve been a really cool matchup for the young guys. I still think we need a pre-Jan game vs a brand name next year.

2. A November holiday tournament game/s is a MUST !! MSG for Jimmy V is such a no-brainer. There are plenty of others but I think next season we gotta be in one of these and draw a good power conference opponent. How are the Maui invitational teams selected ?

3. Playing in the Garden is a privilege and should grow as a point of pride for RU and their claim to nyc . We’ve gotten good turnouts. UCLA would be a fine opponent there. I’m okay giving up alternating home and away games for a MSG game once a year or every other year.

Lastly I’m curious if our TV scheduling improves next season. More prime network games vs always on BTN. Big ten gets lots of CBS and Fox spots next year. MD has grabbed a few of those this year. No reason RU shouldn’t be featured A LOT more next season
I think the only "smoke" about Dook was a smattering of posters who still see that school as different than the current reality. Very good program, sure, but they're now in a group of 10 to 15 schools in that category.

Last edited:

Let me preface this by saying I'm a proponent of an MSG game every year no matter the home/away/neutral designation or that it's a conference game. But why was this year's Mississippi State game at the Prudential Center and the 2020 Michigan game at MSG considered a neutral site game but the 2023 MSU game, and possibly a 2024 UCLA game, would designate Rutgers as the home team?

Reactions: ScarletKid2008
Let me preface this by saying I'm a proponent of an MSG game every year no matter the home/away/neutral designation or that it's a conference game. But why was this year's Mississippi State game at the Prudential Center and the 2020 Michigan game at MSG considered a neutral site game but the 2023 MSU game, and possibly a 2024 UCLA game, would designate Rutgers as the home team?
I’m not. B1G doesn’t need to barnstorm and neither do we.

I like the idea of the big time/blue blood OOC - should happen almost every year.

I like what @ScarletKid2008 said too - a November or a holiday tournament. Which should also happen every year.

I also like a third option of playing a NYC local (St. John’s, Iona, Fordham, Manhattan, etc.) where it’s their home game. That should also happen every year.

For better or worse, I'm pretty sure our scheduling next year is going to be pretty similar to our scheduling for this year and other years. There will be a bunch of fan driven noise about "upgrading the schedule" and maybe some tiny steps in that direction but no significant changes.
Just play two A-10 or CAA schools instead of two NEC schools and the problem is fixed.

Reactions: fluoxetine
I’m not. B1G doesn’t need to barnstorm and neither do we.

I like the idea of the big time/blue blood OOC - should happen almost every year.

I like what @ScarletKid2008 said too - a November or a holiday tournament. Which should also happen every year.

I also like a third option of playing a NYC local (St. John’s, Iona, Fordham, Manhattan, etc.) where it’s their home game. That should also happen every year.

Of course those would be better options and I would imagine Rutgers, and every team in the Power 6, tries to get these every year.

Of course those would be better options and I would imagine Rutgers, and every team in the Power 6, tries to get these every year.
I don’t know. Not seeing everyone else clamoring for the MSG game as much as it’s seems some of us are.

And mind you, I love the idea of being there every season. Just not a fan of the home game or even being the visitor for a B1G game.

I’d be fine with a UCan’t or sara there every year like they do for Georgia/Florida and Oklahoma/Texas for football.

That would be fun.

I don’t know. Not seeing everyone else clamoring for the MSG game as much as it’s seems some of us are.

And mind you, I love the idea of being there every season. Just not a fan of the home game or even being the visitor for a B1G game.

I’d be fine with a UCan’t or sara there every year like they do for Georgia/Florida and Oklahoma/Texas for football.

That would be fun.
not a fan of a home conference game there, i get why they want to do it...if you want to do one time UCLA this season to showcase fine but after that no more...and RU should doubleheader it with wrestling vs a top school

but a non conferene neutral site big time game there every year is a good idea. The days of big name schools doing home and homes are dwindling so getting them to the rac isnt easy

not a fan of a home conference game there, i get why they want to do it...if you want to do one time UCLA this season to showcase fine but after that no more...and RU should doubleheader it with wrestling vs a top school

but a non conferene neutral site big time game there every year is a good idea. The days of big name schools doing home and homes are dwindling so getting them to the rac isnt easy
That’s what I’m saying.

I would imagine Dolan would love to sell tickets to a good to great OOC match up.

A Red River Shootout/World’s Largest Cocktail Party type thing for MBB would be fun.

They already have the Big East tournament for March, why not something around Christmas?

Last edited:
No Duke or other marquee non-conference opponent at MSG is a big disappointment. Same old same old…..

Reactions: cshelley

November tournament can't happen. The fields are all booked.

• Sad

That would be fun.

I meant more so that teams with a professional venue close by would love to schedule a Blue Blood there for an OOC neutral site game. The tough part is convincing the Blue Blood to do it. I think those teams realize the crowd advantage at MSG isn't much different from the RAC.

Didn't we do a neutral site game there at one point and the selection committee arbitrarily counted it as a home game? I don't recall the details.

I meant more so that teams with a professional venue close by would love to schedule a Blue Blood there for an OOC neutral site game. The tough part is convincing the Blue Blood to do it. I think those teams realize the crowd advantage at MSG isn't much different from the RAC.
But again, does that really happen that often? I don’t know, which is why I’m asking…

Does UCLA play games at the Staples Center?

Does Northwestern use where the Bulls/Blackhawks play?

* NC State with the PNC?

*…never mind that IS their home court…didn’t even know that.🤷‍♂️

It makes no sense for a big school to want to jump into a game with us at this late stage knowing we are just looking to show off what should be our best team in a long while. Need to schedule farther out.

That’s what I’m saying.

I would imagine Dolan would love to sell tickets to a good to great OOC match up.

A Red River Shootout/World’s Largest Cocktail Party type thing for MBB would be fun.

They already have the Big East tournament for March, why not something around Christmas?
MSG already hosts the Jimmy V Classic, so they sort of already have this.

But again, does that really happen that often? I don’t know, which is why I’m asking…

Does UCLA play games at the Staples Center?

Does Northwestern use where the Bulls/Blackhawks play?

* NC State with the PNC?

*…never mind that IS their home court…didn’t even know that.🤷‍♂️

It doesn't because what's in it for the Blue Bloods? Just take a look at the way the top teams schedule. Kentucky this year is a good example. Generally the neutral site games, outside of tournaments, are between two good teams at venues that are outside of each other's metro areas (Kentucky-Kansas in Chicago and Kentucky-UNC in Atlanta) or they agree to play a lower level team at a larger venue rather than that team's home court (Kentucky-UPenn at Wells Fargo).

It doesn't because what's in it for the Blue Bloods? Just take a look at the way the top teams schedule. Kentucky this year is a good example. Generally the neutral site games, outside of tournaments, are between two good teams at venues that are outside of each other's metro areas (Kentucky-Kansas in Chicago and Kentucky-UNC in Atlanta) or they agree to play a lower level team at a larger venue rather than that team's home court (Kentucky-UPenn at Wells Fargo).
So then let’s get Kentucky? 😉

Reactions: mjjoyce51
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT