ADVERTISEMENT

BACATOLOGY 2/26: NCAA TOURNAMENT ANALYSIS

Purdue wins B1G
Illinois clinches 2nd

Door is opened wide for Iowa.

May I contradict you? The AQ from the Ivy will be determined by a tournament on March 15-16. At the moment, the four seeds from top to bottom will be Princeton, Yale, Cornell & Brown. (Note that Brown is --ugh -- 11-17 for the season despite winning its last 5 in a row.) No other team has a shot at the Ivy tournament.

I mean for my bracketology purposes going forward before the tourney happens

Boise State completes the season sweep of New Mexico. Right now the Lobos remain the most vulnerable Mountain West bubble school

Yeah a win here makes it academic for them and moves them above first four easily.

The bubble is looking more and more pathetic to me in some ways
You think that they can avoid the First 4 even if the 6/7 game winner (like Loyola Marymount/Pepperdine) beat San Fran and then beat them? I was thinking that they can even take a loss to San Fran and feel pretty good, but that their nightmare scenario was one of the dregs making a run and knocking them off (and probably wasting time, since there is little chance they're dropping that game with what's at stake).

Last edited:
Can Michigan State get in at 17-15...what if they dont win another game?
I'd think that's a solid no...but like I was thinking with Few/Gonzaga a week ago, I can't imagine that Izzo won't get them ready to play and do what they need to do.

You think that they can avoid the First 4 even if the 6/7 game winner (like Loyola Marymount/Pepperdine) beat San Fran and then beat them? I was thinking that they can even take a loss to San Fran and feel pretty good, but that their nightmare scenario was one of the dregs making a run and knocking them off (and probably wasting time, since there is little chance they're dropping that game with what's at stake).
Win tonight and its a lock...2 upper tier q1 road wins...strong sos and no loss outside q1 plus net could move up even better than 19 after tonight

I'd think that's a solid no...but like I was thinking with Few/Gonzaga a week ago, I can't imagine that Izzo won't get them ready to play and do what they need to do.
Northwestern has had their number lately. Indiana on road will be tough

Iowa did beat them and if the Hawkeyes beat Illinois they have a better resume

No shame in TCU and Oklahoma losing Q1 road games but both need to find a win in the remaining two to stay on the 8/9 line and avoid any possibility of landing in first 4

Wisconsin loses again....likely falling from the 5 seed now down to 6

still have 12 Q1/2 wins which is really good

Illinois looking good right now as worst 4, highest 5th so expect them somewhere on these two lines on Selection Sunday
Where do you see Wiscy seed if they continue their freefall with a Rutgers, Purdue loss and a loss in the Big Tourney? That would have them finishing the season with a 2-10 record over last 12.

Where do you see Wiscy seed if they continue their freefall with a Rutgers, Purdue loss and a loss in the Big Tourney? That would have them finishing the season with a 2-10 record over last 12.
Remember that “record over last 12” and/or “current form” don’t matter (though obviously the losses themselves matter and hurt their seed).

18-14 12-13 in q1/2....net still in top 30. Could be as high as 7 but likely on 8/9 line

Reactions: RAC93
UConn a jaggernaut. Only nick in their armour is overall strength of schedule is 75.

RU has the 22nd most difficult.

Food for thought.

Last edited:
I don’t see how New Mexico is in right now. Seems people aren’t quick enough to correct on them. Besides their high NET number and ok metrics, they have a poor SOS, OOC SOS, SOR, 2 Q3/Q4 losses and just 5 Q1/Q2 wins. I don’t see it.

I don’t see how New Mexico is in right now. Seems people aren’t quick enough to correct on them. Besides their high NET number and ok metrics, they have a poor SOS, OOC SOS, SOR, 2 Q3/Q4 losses and just 5 Q1/Q2 wins. I don’t see it.

Its close on them. Great NET metric numbers and they do have 5 wins teams in field including sweep of Nevada. Also wins over Cal Irvine and La Tech who lead in their leagues. Yet ooc sos, no OOC wins, sor plus that Q4 loss hurt alot. Trending towards out but quality q1 opportunity awaits

Definitely first four if they get in. Last 2 will decide

Reactions: Plum Street
Indiana State wins the Missouri Valley regular season. Drake finishes 2nd. I think both will be considered as at larges but very unlikely to get in as such

Memphis was down 61-46 to UAB at half but have now outscored them 38-9 to go up 84-70 with less than 9 minutes left..wild game

Major update coming tomorrow night

I would hestitate to totally lock in Nebraska....after all a loss at Michigan at this point would be horrific. Yet I am locking all schools through the 8 line and Nebraska is my top 9 seed right now. For me there are 12 spots open and up to 30 schools competing for these bids.

March Madness begins Monday 3/4 with commencement of some small / mid major conference tourneys.

Love the "Thrill of Victory / Agony of Defeat" with the mid major tourneys. And I never get bored with the buzzer beaters !

Some locals to keep an eye on:

- Monmouth is the 8 seed in CAA. They open vs 9 Seed Campbell on Sat 3/9 and if they win - they play 1 seed Charleston on Sunday 3/10. Uh oh ! CBS Sports will carry CAA Semis and Finals next Monday and Tuesday.

- In the MAAC, I like either Fairfield or Rider. Fairfield is a real good team and it's a shame Jay Young resigned to reap his benefits from this squad. If you happen to catch a Fairfield game, there's a kid named Jalen Leach who looks like Geo Baker's twin brother. . Rider is jelling at the right time as they were the pre season MAAC favorites.

- In the IVY, it'll be a 4 team tourney. Presuming Princeton wins next weekend at Penn - they clinch the 1 seed. Thus they in all likelihood will play the winner of 2 Yale vs 3 Cornell. I believe Ivy Tourney is being held at Columbia.

- And the Big East should have lots of drama with several bubble teams: Seton Hall / Nova / Providence / St Johns. Seton Hall plays Nova on Wed at the Rock

March Madness begins Monday 3/4 with commencement of some small / mid major conference tourneys.

Love the "Thrill of Victory / Agony of Defeat" with the mid major tourneys. And I never get bored with the buzzer beaters !

Some locals to keep an eye on:

- Monmouth is the 8 seed in CAA. They open vs 9 Seed Campbell on Sat 3/9 and if they win - they play 1 seed Charleston on Sunday 3/10. Uh oh ! CBS Sports will carry CAA Semis and Finals next Monday and Tuesday.

- In the MAAC, I like either Fairfield or Rider. Fairfield is a real good team and it's a shame Jay Young resigned to reap his benefits from this squad. If you happen to catch a Fairfield game, there's a kid named Jalen Leach who looks like Geo Baker's twin brother. . Rider is jelling at the right time as they were the pre season MAAC favorites.

- In the IVY, it'll be a 4 team tourney. Presuming Princeton wins next weekend at Penn - they clinch the 1 seed. Thus they in all likelihood will play the winner of 2 Yale vs 3 Cornell. I believe Ivy Tourney is being held at Columbia.

- And the Big East should have lots of drama with several bubble teams: Seton Hall / Nova / Providence / St Johns. Seton Hall plays Nova on Wed at the Rock
Thanks for your post! Yes, the Ivy tournament will be at Columbia's Levien Gymnasium.
https://ivyleague.com/feature/ivymadness2024

Reactions: BigEastPhil
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT