ADVERTISEMENT

Schedule

I am completely against stacking the OOC schedule with as many top programs as we can play. The strawman argument implying this is not anything anyone is proposing. It is not anything Pike would ever consider. It's pointless to discuss

The point is why aren't you proposing stacking the OOC?
If all that matters is OCC ranking and not results then stack the OOC.

If a loss to Duke, Kansas, UConn is better for our resume than an actual win over Miss St., Wake or SH:
Stack the OOC, get the all valuable #1 OOC and our 3-7 record won't matter because we got that #1 OOC.

Or is it that wins do matter?
If yes, our current OOC has been fine. It's the results.

Schedule Duke. Just don't claim it's to somehow "improve our resume" when just winning our current OOC would have improved it enough to make the tournament, better seed the last few years.

The point is why aren't you proposing stacking the OOC? Why would anyone propose this?
If all that matters is OCC ranking and not results then stack the OOC. It's not all that matters. Don't believe anyone in the thread has argued this

If a loss to Duke, Kansas, UConn is better for our resume than an actual win over Miss St., Wake or SH: it's not. None of these games are guaranteed wins or losses. A win against Duke is a better win. A loss is a better loss. It's better for our OOC SOS win or lose is what bac answered which I believe you are referencing. SOS doesn't measure wins or losses
Stack the OOC, get the all valuable #1 OOC and our 3-7 record won't matter because we got that #1 OOC. Exactly. That's why I am completely against it. We are only talking about 1 game against an elite team

Or is it that wins do matter? Of course they do
If yes, our current OOC has been fine. It's the results. Yes if you win every game it doesn't matter. We haven't in the past and will likely continue to take one or a few losses anyway. A loss against a Duke is better than a loss against a lesser team. A win would be a big stamp on the resume. You're only looking at risk without reward

Schedule Duke. Just don't claim it's to somehow "improve our resume" when just winning our current OOC would have improved it enough to make the tournament, better seed the last few years. Not sure how you can argue scheduling Duke doesn't improve the resume when a loss would be a "good" loss and won't hurt us and a win would be massive. A loss to a lesser program is worse for the resume. A win against a lesser program is worse for the resume. You can't guarantee we lose to Duke and beat a Miss St which seems to be the crux of your argument
Not sure why you keep saying the same things and keeping with the strawman arguments. I ignored the last post bc there was just so much nonsense in it but fine answered above

Let's try to get back to a realistic convo. There is not point talking about playing all studs non conference

this fanbase has zero expectations, they think handwringing and trying to be a bubble team every year is just the cats meow
But somehow scheduling Princeton every year would make everyone happy.

I seriously think there’s a portion of this fan base that would be thrilled to have RU go back to the A10 days

Not sure why you keep saying the same things and keeping with the strawman arguments. I ignored the last post bc there was just so much nonsense in it but fine answered above

Let's try to get back to a realistic convo. There is not point talking about playing all studs non conference

What's better for our resume:
  • Losing to Duke (better OOC #, worse record)
  • Beating Miss St (worse OOC #, better record)
Bac said losing to Duke. That seems weird. If we lose to Duke last year instead of beating Wake Forest - we make the tournament with a worse record?

Obviously win/win or loss/loss benefits scheduling Duke over WF, SH, Miss St level.
That's not a question.

We need wins to make the tournament - something we have been lacking.
If we cant beat mid level OOC, why trade a potential win against Miss St. for a loss to Duke?

The answer "with Ace and Dylan we'll be much better. No need to worry about losing to Wake Forest level team. We can jump right to Duke."

I'd rather be a year late and easily make the tourney beating WF than risk another OOC loss to Duke.

Bac said losing to Duke. That seems weird. If we lose to Duke last year instead of beating Wake Forest - we make the tournament with a worse record?

Obviously win/win or loss/loss benefits scheduling Duke over WF, SH, Miss St level.
That's not a question.

If we cant beat mid level OOC, why trade a potential win against Miss St. for a loss to Duke?

The answer "with Ace and Dylan we'll be much better. No need to worry about losing to Wake Forest level team. We can jump right to Duke."

I'd rather be a year late and easily make the tourney beating WF than risk another OOC loss to Duke.

Lose to Duke top 15 net better than beating 47 Miss St

Yes

By the way we didn't make the tourney last year

That's not a question.

Believe this was a miscommunication. A loss to Duke vs a win against Mississippi State is worse for the resume but it's better for the OOC SOS

You can't guarantee we will beat a Mississippi St type thing. If we knew for a fact we get that win and lose to Duke, it's obviously better but we can't. There's a chance we would beat a Duke and lose to a Mississippi state. You never know

If we don't make the tournament, it won't wouldn't be bc we lost to Duke. It would be due to underperforming in the rest of the schedule. A Duke loss isn't a bad loss that kills your resume

Reactions: NickRU714
Flagg Ace and Dylan could be the 1, 2, and 3 picks in the draft

Duke is basketball royalty

It's not that complicated why people think this game would be exciting and draw national attention
I don‘t think people here understand what a big game this would be. Lots of casual college basketball fans and lots of pro fans who don’t pay much attention to college BB will tune in to see what the big deal is about Flagg, and who are these other guys, Ace and Dylan who are getting all this buzz. For everyone who complains that we have no NIL, this is the kind of game you raise it around, at MSG, where lots of luxury boxes are available, get NYC power brokers to show up who can fund the program with their pocket change. Hell, invite Jay Z, invite Spike Lee, and any other big rich personalities that love basketball, but currently have no reason to care about Rutgers.

Reactions: Scangg
I don‘t think people here understand what a big game this would be. Lots of casual college basketball fans and lots of pro fans who don’t pay much attention to college BB will tune in to see what the big deal is about Flagg, and who are these other guys, Ace and Dylan who are getting all this buzz. For everyone who complains that we have no NIL, this is the kind of game you raise it around, at MSG, where lots of luxury boxes are available, get NYC power brokers to show up who can fund the program with their pocket change. Hell, invite Jay Z, invite Spike Lee, and any other big rich personalities that love basketball, but currently have no reason to care about Rutgers.
Exactly. It would be the highest viewed Rutgers game since....

This is how you bring in new fans. This is the type of game that impresses recruits. Do people really think recruits wouldn't love to come to Rutgers to play a Duke type program at MSG? That's a dream come true type of game and a selling point for Pike

Reactions: Rhuarc

O
Rutgers did not have a good enough record against its schedule last year. Not a scheduling issue. The other two, are you referring to last year?

Ru was trash in non conference play

Committee specifically called rutgers out for it

Reactions: biazza38 and Scangg
I think Rutgers fell victim to the B1G's recent poor tournament performance and the committee already decided against siding with a B1G school on the bubble

It's really the only thing that makes sense to me
Or they looked at our wins above (below) bubble. They said with that schedule RU should have won 1 more game

Who cares

Believe this was a miscommunication. A loss to Duke vs a win against Mississippi State is worse for the resume but it's better for the OOC SOS

You can't guarantee we will beat a Mississippi St type thing. If we knew for a fact we get that win and lose to Duke, it's obviously better but we can't. There's a chance we would beat a Duke and lose to a Mississippi state. You never know

If we don't make the tournament, it won't wouldn't be bc we lost to Duke. It would be due to underperforming in the rest of the schedule. A Duke loss isn't a bad loss that kills your resume

See the above response.
Bac disagrees about loss to Duke v win to Miss St.
Says it would be better for our resume.

Hence why I said then schedule all Top 10 OOC - rack up the great losses.

Agree no guarantees.
But we're more likely to beat Miss St than Duke (especially since we cant . I'd rather comfortably beat MS and easily make the tournament for just once.

O

Ru was trash in non conference play

Committee specifically called rutgers out for it

Yes our RESULTS were trash.

We were 2nd team out last year.
Same exact OOC ranking as last year except we beat Temple and SH (thanks Dylan and Ace) to go 10-1 instead of 8-3.

Do we make the tournament at 21-11?
(10-1 OOC, 10-10 Big, 1-1 Big Tourney)
What about 20-12 (lose to Temple still)?

Next year:
10-1 OOC (bad ranking)
12-8 Big (modest increase nothing crazy)
1-1 Big Tourney

Are we "scraping in" at 23-10? On the bubble?
With no OOC bump and better play against the same exact schedule we are not "scraping by".

See the above response.

Agree no guarantees.
But we're more likely to beat Miss St than Duke (especially since we cant . I'd rather comfortably beat MS and easily make the tournament for just once.

Same exact OOC ranking as last year except we beat Temple and SH (thanks Dylan and Ace) to go 10-1 instead of 8-3.

Next year:
10-1 OOC (bad ranking)
1-1 Big Tourney

With no OOC bump and better play against the same exact schedule we are not "scraping by".
So 23-10 but you can't risk playing Duke and being 22-11?

But that's a different thing than not getting in because of your schedule.

Different sport but FSU, UCF, Cincy, Liberty not making the CFP are example of "Your schedule was not good enough. It didn't matter how you did, you were DOA from the beginning."

That's not the case here because everyone (I think) agrees that if we want even 10-1 OOC last year we get into the tournament at 20-12 (instead of out at 18-14)

Reactions: biazza38
See the above response.

Agree no guarantees.

Next year:
10-1 OOC (bad ranking)
1-1 Big Tourney

You arent a serious person

So 23-10 but you can't risk playing Duke and being 22-11?

Can risk but don't NEED to risk.

Risk is purely for non-resume reasons (which does hold merit).
We (likely) easily make the tournament next year with same OOC ranking if we go 10-1 instead of 8-3.

With our history - I'll take one year of easily making it before worrying about excitement and upgrading the OOC.

Stop with the computers and analytics. We get it. Just for a second just be a fan and admit it would be cool to see us play Rutgers at the Garden in a matchup of the top 3 college freshmen in the country. Remember what 2006 Louisville was like? This would be the basketball version for the loyal fans.

I can't believe that there are people that watch Rutgers basketball that are arguing against it.

Reactions: biazza38
If you are still in the mindset that RU needs UConn, Kansas, Bama, UNC or Duke, then you are not paying attention at all to college sports in general.

RU doesn't do anything for it's recruiting, for it's brand or for it's resume by playing any of those teams. It is that mindset that still clouds the many minds of RU fans, because it is an inferiority complex.

We have Ace Bailey, Dylan Harper, Gavin Griffiths, Lathan Sommerville and others. We have the RAC and we have a very good fanbase, when energized and has something to root for.

RU needs to stop chasing schools that are not going to remain on top of the college sports world going forward. The NCAA is a dying entity and we are moving towards a big 2 or 3 conference alignment for football and hoops and we don't need UConn, Nova or those other schools.....the actual fact is, they need RU now.

We have the uptick and recruiting and we don't need to prove anything to anyone but ourselves, that we can win. This is not a public relations/hype machine that RU needs to survive. We are in one of the Top 2 conferences and will have plenty of exposure and opportunities within our region and conference.

RU isn't going to outrun UConn, UNC or Duke in basketball hype, it's no longer required to gain exposure. All RU has to do is run its own race in football and hoops and grow organically and methodically year by year and continue to improve.

We have to stop overhyping 2024-25 as if RU sports and enthusiasm ends after next basketball season with Dylan and Ace Bailey. The program is NOT going to be defined by 1 season, it gets defined by being consistent over a 5 to 10 year span.

The goal for next year is to actually try to develop the young players early next year, we will already have enough hype. We don't need UConn or Duke to help RU anymore. We are developing our own standard, we don't need to play them, if anything they need to play RU.
LOL you’re a great troll

Anyone who wants to grow the Rutgers brand and take the program to another level

How do you not see the value to the program in playing huge game on the biggest stage?
Ncaa tournament is the big stage. I dont remember any november or december game right now

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT