ADVERTISEMENT

Couple Questions

RUJohnny

All Conference
Gold Member
Oct 28, 2005
Sorry if my timestamps are wrong.

Late 1st half, they punt and the punter kicks it into our end zone for a touchback. A 5yd penalty is thrown and we accept forcing the rekick. Punter again puts it in the end zone. Seems like after one kick from midfield or so, giving them 5 more yards and an immediate retry is a recipe for getting pinned on your 5. Why did they accept that penalty?

Mid 3rd, Longerbeam breaks up a pass. He puts one hand over the other and gestures towards the side of his hip. Was that a reference to an axe/chopping, or sheathing a sword? Anyone catch that?

Not a question, but comment- I don't like going for it on those 4ths and more than 1 in the midfield area, when our defense totally outclassed them all day. One of the unconverted 4ths led to their 2nd score, which was really their only drive of note all day if I recall correctly.

Sorry if my timestamps are wrong.

Late 1st half, they punt and the punter kicks it into our end zone for a touchback. A 5yd penalty is thrown and we accept forcing the rekick. Punter again puts it in the end zone. Seems like after one kick from midfield or so, giving them 5 more yards and an immediate retry is a recipe for getting pinned on your 5. Why did they accept that penalty?

Mid 3rd, Longerbeam breaks up a pass. He puts one hand over the other and gestures towards the side of his hip. Was that a reference to an axe/chopping, or sheathing a sword? Anyone catch that?

Not a question, but comment- I don't like going for it on those 4ths and more than 1 in the midfield area, when our defense totally outclassed them all day. One of the unconverted 4ths led to their 2nd score, which was really their only drive of note all day if I recall correctly.
See MSU game

I like going for it on 4th when option is 50-55 yard FG or punt. punt into end zone and they are at the 25 vs 32-35. I would rather give the offense a chance to grind out the scoring drive.

Now if the opponent is quick scoring, may want to lim them back to inside the 10. But IU was not stopping the run & not doing great on O.

I like going for it on 4th when option is 50-55 yard FG or punt. punt into end zone and they are at the 25 vs 32-35. I would rather give the offense a chance to grind out the scoring drive.

Now if the opponent is quick scoring, may want to lim them back to inside the 10. But IU was not stopping the run & not doing great on O.
If I recall correctly, we were more closer to midfield, or even on our side of it. And we already had a lead at that point, and we ended up averaging 4.7 ypp. I think it was 4th and 3 around midfield, so not a guarantee. They couldn't drive, I thought it made more sense to pin them.

I normally like going for it, but I thought a lot of life had been taken out of Indiana and the crowd at that point and I don’t like creating a scenario that gets them all pumped up again.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT