ADVERTISEMENT

Courtney Banghart

RC66

Senior
Jun 9, 2009
How long before a P5 team lures her away from Princeton?

(Almost went to Vandy last year?)

Another reason to make a change at RU sooner rather than later?

Is Hobbs as good and convincing a recruiter as reported?

Reactions: HUMC67

Enough with the bad loses and excuses at 700k

In her post-Purdue presser, CVS stated that she "doesn't have any answers" for the poor shooting. I think the answer is that RU doesn't have the players that we used to deploy and "wait until next year" isn't really that convincing. So yeh, I hope Pat Hobbs has a plan, e.g., Courtney Bangert, et al. One thing for sure, there is a wide selection of empty seats at the RAC.

Have you checked Princeton's record this year?

5-2 in the Ivy (2 games out of first), 6-7 OOC, 11-9 overall.

This is not a comment on whether CVS should be replaced. I think, though, that if CVS is replaced RU should choose someone who's either had more or less uninterrupted success at a lower level or who's demonstrated at least some ability to succeed at higher levels. Banghart might have met that test a couple of years ago, but she doesn't look so impressive right now.

Reactions: ScarletteK80
Despite Princeton's record so far this season, if CVS is going to be replaced by Hobbs
Courtney should be someone Rutgers thinks about.

Despite Princeton's record so far this season, if CVS is going to be replaced by Hobbs
Courtney should be someone Rutgers thinks about.
Not that I really disagree - but Banghart has the additional baggage of limited recruiting - I'm not saying I wouldn't consider her, but there are odd issues because she has been in the Ivy League.

Not that I really disagree - but Banghart has the additional baggage of limited recruiting - I'm not saying I wouldn't consider her, but there are odd issues because she has been in the Ivy League.
I feel Hobbs won't be breaking the bank for the next WBB HC until funds are there to hire someone every school looking at and willing to pay top dollar.
Banghart might be the type he looks at because of the results she had at Princeton and hope Courtney will be able to recruit the type of talent that will make RU a constant NCAA team.
I really feel CVS' replacement will be someone that will be more of a ( good) gamble
then someone Hobbs has to outbid major programs for.

at 500k Hobbs could get great replacement for CVS
At that price, he could get a good coach - there is no guarantee ever of success.

Depending on if you are talking base or with incentives that would probably be about the middle of the Big 10 salary range. To a Banghart it would be a very significant raise, to a Kim Barnes-Arico probably a slight raise (incentives unknown) and (as Madhat suggests) probably won't lure a "top" coach.

At the same time, base salaries are hard to match to actual compensation.

Recently had the opportunity to read Geno's contract - his base salary wasn't actually all that much. But he gets well north of a Million to make 12? or so appearances for the University, some of which are specified but he can excused from them if he needs to be. His incentives - all things being equal - are less than you would think, but when the guarantee is 2.4 million, I guess it isn't that big a deal.

I feel Hobbs won't be breaking the bank for the next WBB HC until funds are there to hire someone every school looking at and willing to pay top dollar.
Banghart might be the type he looks at because of the results she had at Princeton and hope Courtney will be able to recruit the type of talent that will make RU a constant NCAA team.
I really feel CVS' replacement will be someone that will be more of a ( good) gamble
then someone Hobbs has to outbid major programs for.
The answer maybe to pay a base salary and make the rest of the contract performance based. Just like Julie Herman did w CVS. CVS would be making a million bucks right now if the performance based part of her contract was not included.

BTW I don't think Courtney would end up being the disaster that previous Ivy league (Penn) coach Craig Littlepage was after he attempted to play the slow down Ivy league game w the RU mustang type players. Courtney coaches a much more up-tempo game.

At that price, he could get a good coach - there is no guarantee ever of success.

Depending on if you are talking base or with incentives that would probably be about the middle of the Big 10 salary range. To a Banghart it would be a very significant raise, to a Kim Barnes-Arico probably a slight raise (incentives unknown) and (as Madhat suggests) probably won't lure a "top" coach.

At the same time, base salaries are hard to match to actual compensation.

Recently had the opportunity to read Geno's contract - his base salary wasn't actually all that much. But he gets well north of a Million to make 12? or so appearances for the University, some of which are specified but he can excused from them if he needs to be. His incentives - all things being equal - are less than you would think, but when the guarantee is 2.4 million, I guess it isn't that big a deal.
CVS will not have future success,its time to retire.A womans hc from the A-10,AAC, BEetc likely would do well at Rutgers

She is not on CVS level. Give it a rest. She is shorthanded this year just like the year Cappie was out and they struggled. Let's see what happens next year.

All of this negative talk. No one was saying that last year or the year before that. Relax have a drink and wait until next year. She will have better talent next year a top recruit coming in, and the team that are playing now will get better and stronger.

All of this negative talk. No one was saying that last year or the year before that. Relax have a drink and wait until next year. She will have better talent next year a top recruit coming in, and the team that are playing now will get better and stronger.

????what this is wishful thinking...this isnt plugging in Cappie and going to the tourney....Tyler didnt make the NCAA 2 of the 3 years she has played despite having 3 WNBA players around her.

gimme Gail G please

Reactions: shields
????what this is wishful thinking...this isnt plugging in Cappie and going to the tourney....Tyler didnt make the NCAA 2 of the 3 years she has played despite having 3 WNBA players around her.

gimme Gail G please
that's wishful thinking.
Doubt Hobbs could match what other schools would be offering Goestenkors if she wanted to go back to being a College HC.
Its been 5 years since she stepped away from the Texas job that can't be considered a successful run for her ( but a damm good one for anyone else) compared to her Duke years.
Not saying Gail wouldn't be a great replacement, just saying your sight needs to be lowered based on what RU will be willing to pay right now.

Reactions: nirrad
Who is the top recruit coming in?

glad to see that you believe terrible recruiting and 6 wins makes cvs worth $700k.
add another to the OK WITH 700 LIST.
But not happy with this year's record.
I'm willing to see the 700,000 RU Lady return next year , but marked improvement must be made for CVS to have me continue supporting her and the 700,000 won't have anything to do with that..

All of this negative talk. No one was saying that last year or the year before that. Relax have a drink and wait until next year. She will have better talent next year a top recruit coming in, and the team
Who is the top recruit coming in?
I just checked the ESPN recruiting site to see if I missed an RU recruit. If the top recruit you are talking about is Jada Wright, she is ranked #86. A top recruit for RU and CVS meant a top 10 to 30 player. I remember when a player was not in the top 50, there was not much anticipation about that player making a big difference on the team.

Unless you are talking about a top JUCO or a Tammy Sutton Brown (Top player out of another country), Jada Wright is not a top recruit.

Maybe this is a reflection on how the expectations of our team have really taken a hit. If she is a top recruit, then I guess making the top 25 every few years is right in line.

Oh how the mighty have fallen.

Does anyone truly believe this is worth 700,000 dollars.

Have you checked Princeton's record this year?

5-2 in the Ivy (2 games out of first), 6-7 OOC, 11-9 overall.

This is not a comment on whether CVS should be replaced. I think, though, that if CVS is replaced RU should choose someone who's either had more or less uninterrupted success at a lower level or who's demonstrated at least some ability to succeed at higher levels. Banghart might have met that test a couple of years ago, but she doesn't look so impressive right now.

BeK, you've got to look deeper...

Remember, she lost her four(!) highest scorers from last year to graduation. (Miller, Wheatley, Tarakchain, and Berntsen)

Her "new" team: lost 4 of their first 5 games.

Then they lost their first two Ivy League Games.

But...

Now she is starting two sophomores and a freshman.

And...

Now she’s won six straight in the Ivy to make them 6-2.

Now they’ve already beaten once Harvard who is ahead of them in the standings at 7-2 … and play them again Mar 3.

In other words...

She's taken a new, largely young team and turned them around and made them competitive in one season.

And, watching them a couple of times, as always for her teams, they already run an offense that looks like a well-oiled clock.

I say again...

Get her while we still can.
It's time for her to find out if she can do it at a P5 level. I'd love to watch the adventure of that experiment at RU.

Reactions: RizwranIII

gimme Gail G please
Ok so you choose Gail to replace her? Ok convo done. That tells me a lot about you.

I just checked the ESPN recruiting site to see if I missed an RU recruit. If the top recruit you are talking about is Jada Wright, she is ranked #86. A top recruit for RU and CVS meant a top 10 to 30 player. I remember when a player was not in the top 50, there was not much anticipation about that player making a big difference on the team.

Unless you are talking about a top JUCO or a Tammy Sutton Brown (Top player out of another country), Jada Wright is not a top recruit.

Maybe this is a reflection on how the expectations of our team have really taken a hit. If she is a top recruit, then I guess making the top 25 every few years is right in line.

Oh how the mighty have fallen.

Does anyone truly believe this is worth 700,000 dollars.
If you are in the top 100 you are a top recruit.

Regardless of who coaches next year, the new players have to make a difference. This year's team has gained experience, but that is only a small part of it. Don't think that translates into more point production by itself. Still have to score in order to win games. Hard to believe we wouldn't be better next season on merit alone.

BeK, you've got to look deeper...

Remember, she lost her four(!) highest scorers from last year to graduation. (Miller, Wheatley, Tarakchain, and Berntsen)

Her "new" team: lost 4 of their first 5 games.

Then they lost their first two Ivy League Games.

But...

Now she is starting two sophomores and a freshman.

And...

Now she’s won six straight in the Ivy to make them 6-2.

Now they’ve already beaten once Harvard who is ahead of them in the standings at 7-2 … and play them again Mar 3.

In other words...

She's taken a new, largely young team and turned them around and made them competitive in one season.

And, watching them a couple of times, as always for her teams, they already run an offense that looks like a well-oiled clock.

I say again...

Get her while we still can.
It's time for her to find out if she can do it at a P5 level. I'd love to watch the adventure of that experiment at RU.

Make that 7-2 in the Ivy. They beat Brown today at Brown: 81-75. That's 7 straight after those first two loses.

Make that 7-2 in the Ivy. They beat Brown today at Brown: 81-75. That's 7 straight after those first two loses.
Yep. That's what makes it so infernally difficult to completely evaluate her. Obviously, in a P5 conference, you couldn't start off like that, it would kill your chance at an at large bid. In the Ivy (or any other number of conferences) the OOC is really just to prepare yourself for in-conference chances at the auto bid and it sure looks like she did a great job!

Some odd comparisons from the U of A opponent list:
Alcorn State - no OOC wins, 8-5 in conference. Not great, but . . .
Grambling - 2-9 OOC, 10-3 in conference
Of course, then there is Southern Utah and Florida Atlantic who haven't won a conference game yet, but had 9 OOC wins between them.

We should take a look at Linda Stockton of Tulane. Wasn't aware of her before Tulane almost beat UConn. I checked her on Wikipedia, Her overall head coaching record is very good.

If you are in the top 100 you are a top recruit.
If you have been an RU fan for the last 20 years, you would not say that about an RU recruit. A top RU recruit was in the top10-30. Anyone not in the top 50 was considered an afterthought. No disrespect to any top 100 player. But this again shows the mindset of some posters accepting a lower expectation of the RU program and CVS.

If you have been an RU fan for the last 20 years, you would not say that about an RU recruit. A top RU recruit was in the top10-30. Anyone not in the top 50 was considered an afterthought. No disrespect to any top 100 player. But this again shows the mindset of some posters accepting a lower expectation of the RU program and CVS.
I bet if it was football you wouldn't say that as long as they were a 4 star. I've seen the young lady play and believe me we already know about stars

I bet if it was football you wouldn't say that as long as they were a 4 star. I've seen the young lady play and believe me we already know about stars
Given what I posted that an RU WBB top recruit was held to a different (much higher standard) your reference to football does not help your point. Besides, football teams have a LOT more players. A top 100 recruit for the men's BB is considered a top recruit. All things are relative.

Check the history of all the players that have made an impact on the WBB team under CVS and you will see none of them were a 80 something rated recruit.

And the bottom line is that I hope I am wrong. Go RU!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT