ADVERTISEMENT

Current players influence on recruits?

bowlgoal

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Jul 20, 2004
Maybe a good question for Russ and/or people closer to these situations? I mean i know recruits get hosted by a current player (s) during the official visits. But besides that; do current players take an active role in helping the coaching staff land any of these kids? Or do the kids feel like recruits need to make up their own minds are stay out of most of it besides being present on the visit? I definitely feel like a kid like Mulcahy will maybe take a more active role just based on reading articles and hearing him speak about why he chose Rutgers, etc. Do coaches ask their players to tweet at recruits or text them about playing together? Are there rules about what they can and cannot do like with the coaches or is it like the Wild West where anything goes?

Others have said that Geo Baker is the best recruiter on the "staff." Between playing fortnight with the guys, etc.

I have zero personal knowledge

Reactions: Scangg
Maybe not on the currently roster but I did read where 2020 recruit Martice Mitchell did say he knows of Corey Sanders and that he is a tough player.

Maybe a good question for Russ and/or people closer to these situations? I mean i know recruits get hosted by a current player (s) during the official visits. But besides that; do current players take an active role in helping the coaching staff land any of these kids? Or do the kids feel like recruits need to make up their own minds are stay out of most of it besides being present on the visit? I definitely feel like a kid like Mulcahy will maybe take a more active role just based on reading articles and hearing him speak about why he chose Rutgers, etc. Do coaches ask their players to tweet at recruits or text them about playing together? Are there rules about what they can and cannot do like with the coaches or is it like the Wild West where anything goes?
Currently players definitely attempt to help if they know, or have a relationship with, kids the team is recruiting. However, what tends to help even more is when recruits are in group chats with each other and discuss playing together and are high on the same school.

Currently players definitely attempt to help if they know, or have a relationship with, kids the team is recruiting. However, what tends to help even more is when recruits are in group chats with each other and discuss playing together and are high on the same school.

How often do high profile teammates actually stay together though? Like Antoine and Lewis from Ranney this year seemed to not be interested at all. And I can't think of many Big Ten teams that have old HS/AAU teammates. (Illinois specifically had to choose, essentially, between Ayo Dosunmu and Talen Horton-Tucker)

Didn’t the 3 Minnesota freshman all know each other and want to play together? Thought BTN had a segment on them.

How often do high profile teammates actually stay together though? Like Antoine and Lewis from Ranney this year seemed to not be interested at all. And I can't think of many Big Ten teams that have old HS/AAU teammates. (Illinois specifically had to choose, essentially, between Ayo Dosunmu and Talen Horton-Tucker)
I never said anything about teammates.

By the time these kids are 12 months away from graduating high school they've developed relationships with other kids they have met at various camps or competed against in high school or on the circuit.

Sometimes that makes them want to be on the same team.

IIRC the Ayo Dosunmu and Talen Horton-Tucker situation was a Mac Irvin Fire vs Meanstreets thing. I could be wrong though

Harper and Tez, Mulcahy and McConnell and Johnson are 5 exciting players who can bring in 2020’kids with two years to win play with them. Mulcahy (3 years).

Idk. I would be excited to play with this group as an incoming freshman?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT