ADVERTISEMENT

Curt Shilling Twitter story. Bravo. This coming from a die hard Yankee fan.

Im amazed that we have clowns on here defending people who threaten to rape a 17 old girl.

Clueless!

The names and mug shots of Adam Nagel and Sean McDonald should be prominently displayed across the Internet as an example for future internet tough guys to see. By making an example of these two losers maybe it will teach other would be bullies a lesson about accountability in the real world.

Also amazed that some are taking shots at Shilling. The guy lost his life savings investing in his startup gaming software company and yet some here criticize him for laying off the 400 employees ? What a false sense of entitlement some have.

Originally posted by WhiteBus:
Im amazed that we have clowns on here defending people who threaten to rape a 17 old girl.

Clueless!
I'm not defending them, but where did they threaten that? I read the tweets and didn't see anything about rape.

Originally posted by RUChoppin:
The number of trolls who engage in this behavior is fairly small in the grand scheme of things. The number who are willing to go through all the extra effort to create dummy accounts and mask their identities is an even smaller subset of that group.

No problems at all with what Schilling did. Go after the low hanging fruit, and there will be less low hanging fruit. It won't stop the hardcore d-bags, but it may make the casual d-bags think twice.

Absolutely nothing wrong with holding people to account for things said online. If someone isn't comfortable with something they write online being front page news the next morning, they shouldn't say it - the more people get burned, the less of a "thing" it becomes, and it becomes the domain of more hardcore internet trolls.
Choppin,

Fully agree.

I was thinking about this and the conversation we where having about Title II and Net Neutrality, during that conversation I cited a passage of prosecuting people for Obscenities under title II and you pointed out that that section was used for harassing telecommunications. So do you think that if the Title II ruling stands you could prosecute these to lowlifes under that section? They did communicate directly with Schilling and some of the stuff they wrote seems to fall right in line as described in that section.

If the answer is yes then I might change my mind in favor of the FCC ruling just to get these types off of the Internet.

Originally posted by RUChoppin:
The number of trolls who engage in this behavior is fairly small in the grand scheme of things. The number who are willing to go through all the extra effort to create dummy accounts and mask their identities is an even smaller subset of that group.

No problems at all with what Schilling did. Go after the low hanging fruit, and there will be less low hanging fruit. It won't stop the hardcore d-bags, but it may make the casual d-bags think twice.

Absolutely nothing wrong with holding people to account for things said online. If someone isn't comfortable with something they write online being front page news the next morning, they shouldn't say it - the more people get burned, the less of a "thing" it becomes, and it becomes the domain of more hardcore internet trolls.
Choppin,

Fully agree.

I was thinking about this and the conversation we where having about Title II and Net Neutrality, during that conversation I cited a passage of prosecuting people for Obscenities under title II and you pointed out that that section was used for harassing telecommunications. So do you think that if the Title II ruling stands you could prosecute these to lowlifes under that section? They did communicate directly with Schilling and some of the stuff they wrote seems to fall right in line as described in that section.

If the answer is yes then I might change my mind in favor of the FCC ruling just to get these types off of the Internet.

Originally posted by rutcor:

Clueless!
I'm not defending them, but where did they threaten that? I read the tweets and didn't see anything about rape.

Huh What? You can't be serious!
Right, still not defending them, but I also still don't see the Tweets about rape. Were they in the article you linked?

Clueless!

Right, still not defending them, but I also still don't see the Tweets about rape. Were they in the article you linked?
Read his blog. Yes it mentions guys wanting to rape her. The two that he calls out are just 2 of 7 that that he is asking/seeking legal actions.

Besides what you read of those two constitutes rape. She is just 17!! Isn't fists and Easton bats enough for you to read?? The whole thing is discusting but we have others in here making excuses. I am not saying your are one.

Clueless!

you didn't see the Tweets about doing a DP on her with a bat? didn't see the comments about putting their fist in her?

given that she is 17 and does not know these pieces of sh*t it's pretty much a threat of rape.

read it all here:

curt's blog

Originally posted by RCTrooper:

Originally posted by GoodOl'Rutgers:

I rather wonder if this is going to be a generational thing as successive generations have pushed the bounds of what is acceptable in public behavior.. dress, actions, speech.
The next generation has always pushed the boundaries but what seems different is the coarsening of this society in its interactions. It is occurring everywhere; not just on-line but in politics, in the streets and in the schools.

It seems that "mean-ness" is accepted and celebrated and considered clever.
I think this society celebrates the new and shocking... and that results in a "slippery slope" as each successive generation tries to be new and shocking going beyond what the previous generation has done/allowed.

You can simply focus on what is allowable on network television today and go back generation by generation and see what, by present day, tame content was deemed shocking at the time.

Examples.. "bitch" and "douche" are rather commonplace in the media today.

read this from the American Enterprise Institute from 2001.. an erudite piece by Charles Murray.

Originally posted by MrsScrew:

Clueless!

You should look up the definition of rape. There are multiple rape threats made in those tweets.

The whole "it's the internet, deal with it" mindset is disgusting. Trolling is one thing, those two losers took it to a completely different level.

I'm surprised Jerzee isn't arguing against me on this. But I'm sure he will

Originally posted by RobertG:

Choppin,

Fully agree.

It's an interesting thought that I hadn't considered. It does make it seem as though harassing tweets (or Facebook messages, etc) could fall under the same rules that harassing telephone calls do today. You can't call someone's home and make a death/rape threat... stands to reason you shouldn't be able to tweet it to them, either.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT