ADVERTISEMENT

Did We Just Get A Wrestling Commit?

Kanniard fought Shane (ranked #1 nationally) evenly in the state finals until he got caught (2nd or 3rd per) ... but the kid is legit, very quick and getting better
It was 2-1 i believe until he got caught in the 3rd and lost 6-1. Kids good

Reactions: elvis7
This is an excellent recruit!! 4th as a soph(lost to Glasgow in semis and O'Malley for 3rd) lost in finals this year. Also won a Fargo Cadet title.

NJ has 5 HS wrestlers ranked #1 nationally.. pretty impressive

Kinner, Glory, Griffith, Howard & Mastrogiovanni

Howard & Mastro too young to commit to colleges and the other 3 going to Princeton, Stanford & tOSU

Its tough enough competing for talent against the elite Big 10 teams, but add to that competing against a Princeton degree.... shame some of this in state talent isnt coming to Rutgers

Howard & Mastro too young to commit to colleges and the other 3 going to Princeton, Stanford & tOSU

Its tough enough competing for talent against the elite Big 10 teams, but add to that competing against a Princeton degree.... shame some of this in state talent isnt coming to Rutgers

We’ve been kicking the crap outta Princeton lately where’ve you been??

Once our training facility is built,recruiting will become easier. In regards to a kid choosing Stanford or Northwestern, they are scholarship schools, I would advise any high school wrestler who is a good student to consider them. Increased success with our program circles back to funding our SKWC adequately. IMO

Once our training facility is built,recruiting will become easier. In regards to a kid choosing Stanford or Northwestern, they are scholarship schools, I would advise any high school wrestler who is a good student to consider them. Increased success with our program circles back to funding our SKWC adequately. IMO

Based on this years top 10 teams at NCAA’s (RU finished 11th) the only 2 with arguably better academics than RU are Cornell and Michigan. Cornell doesn’t give athletic scholarships and is in a less competitive conference. Michigan has a ton to offer but is in a less geographically advantageous location. My point is that if we keep performing on the mat we should start winning some of these recruiting battles for top kids within a few 100 miles of RU.

Yeah, I love RU but given the choice of a degree, Princeton would rank #3 on my list.
#1 Harvard
#2 Yale
#3 Princeton
#4 Daytona Beach Community College (I could spend 20 years there)

Reactions: elvis7
Based on this years top 10 teams at NCAA’s (RU finished 11th) the only 2 with arguably better academics than RU are Cornell and Michigan. Cornell doesn’t give athletic scholarships and is in a less competitive conference. Michigan has a ton to offer but is in a less geographically advantageous location. My point is that if we keep performing on the mat we should start winning some of these recruiting battles for top kids within a few 100 miles of RU.

And further to that point, all of them support their wrestling better than we do. We have reached the pinnacle at this level of support. The way to keep climbing in those standings is to start landing Top 10 P4P recruits/guys ranked top 1 or 2 at their weight class. The way to land those recruits is to show them they will get the best training possible.

Once the practice facility is complete, it will all come down to SKWC support.

Last edited:
No, I didn’t...completely got it...just countering. All good.

While you are right that we are substantially better on a dual meet basis, that just isn't going to matter very much to a recruit. These guys don't care about team wins.

Princeton has good support and good coaching. For any individual recruit, as long as they feel like they will get the support they need to achieve their goals, and if they can do it with a Princeton degree on the back end, it is going to be extraordinarily difficult to get that kid to pick Rutgers.

Since we cannot compete academically with Princeton, we need to be able to provide athletic support that is clearly better. Then maybe you can get the kids whose priority isn't leveraging their talents to get the best degree possible. Cornell is the same issue x 10, because their support is also second to none.

"Since we cannot compete academically with Princeton, we need to be able to provide athletic support that is clearly better. Then maybe you can get the kids whose priority isn't leveraging their talents to get the best degree possible. Cornell is the same issue x 10, because their support is also second to none."

As far as Athletic support goes, I would like to think our Coaching staff is better than Princetons', and our new facilities will be much better than Princetons', and of course our 5,000 crowds dwarfs Princeton's crowds of less than 250 for most matches, lol ( I'm just guessing on Princeton wrestling attendance)

Reactions: Ole Cabbagehead
While you are right that we are substantially better on a dual meet basis, that just isn't going to matter very much to a recruit. These guys don't care about team wins.

Princeton has good support and good coaching. For any individual recruit, as long as they feel like they will get the support they need to achieve their goals, and if they can do it with a Princeton degree on the back end, it is going to be extraordinarily difficult to get that kid to pick Rutgers.

Since we cannot compete academically with Princeton, we need to be able to provide athletic support that is clearly better. Then maybe you can get the kids whose priority isn't leveraging their talents to get the best degree possible. Cornell is the same issue x 10, because their support is also second to none.

Again, I completely understand ALL of this (and more...) but not what I was getting at - at all - just making a very, very simple comment lol! [cheers]

Reactions: Ole Cabbagehead
"Since we cannot compete academically with Princeton, we need to be able to provide athletic support that is clearly better. Then maybe you can get the kids whose priority isn't leveraging their talents to get the best degree possible. Cornell is the same issue x 10, because their support is also second to none."

Agreed. But Big10 wrestling is far superior to EIWA (no offense to Princeton or Cornell), what kid doesn't want to wrestle the best from PSU, tOSU, or Iowa? Princeton gets the edge academically, but Rutgers has the edge from the conference and visibility perspective.

As far as Athletic support goes, I would like to think our Coaching staff is better than Princetons'

Hmmm...you sure about that? I would say in terms of individual accomplishments, Princeton's staff is WAY better than Rutgers (all 4 coaches were All Americans, Associate Head Coach Joe Dubuque was a 2x NCAA champion like Pritzlaff). Edge to Princeton for sure, especially considering that was a dead program resurrected, when Ayres restarted it, they lost something like 35 straight matches. Goodale is an excellent CEO, but Pritzlaff brought real credibility. ALL of Princeton's coaches are extremely credible, and when you factor in the Princeton academics, they will be a force in the very near future. They have a great recruiting class coming in as well, and can recruit nationally rather than locally.

and our new facilities will be much better than Princetons', and of course our 5,000 crowds dwarfs Princeton's crowds of less than 250 for most matches, lol ( I'm just guessing on Princeton wrestling attendance)

Rutgers facility will be state of the art, definitely better than Princeton, but you need that to compete in Big10. Princeton doesn't really need a great facility, it's a stunning campus with nice facilities, the kid that goes there isn't really worried about that.

An old mentor once told me "play to your strengths". Rutgers has many - it's a Big10 member, has a strong coaching staff and is located in one of the best wrestling states in the country. Keep getting guys like Theobold and DelVecchio on the podium, and more Ashnaults and Surianos will come.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT