ADVERTISEMENT

Didn't/Don't Caroo and the Other Players Understand the MicroscopeThey are Under???

realhoops2

Junior
Jul 8, 2015
Everyone is trying to place the blame for the player's off the field behavior on Flood but how could they not understand the current climate surrounding this team and program? To put yourself in a situation where you could be subject to this climate where everything will be seriously overblown (assuming the best case scenario) and Flood not surprisingly has to take decisive action to demonstrate control, shame on the player not Flood. These players should be choirboys at this point!

Flood indicated after the Caroo story broke that he would make sure his team understood that there will be consequences for their actions. If he needed this latest situation to strongly make that clear to everyone remotely connected to this team, he is not doing his job and rightly should be strongly criticized and possibly terminated!

From the early reports, this was an incident between family members and people connected to the team, that occurred well after the fans were gone. If the fight was indeed between player family members, specifically a female family member of Leonte's, I'm not sure anything Flood could have said or done would have kept Leonte from involving himself.

It is what it is at this point, all we can do is move on. I really have a tough time with people using this incident as evidence that Flood has lost control. I realize things are a disaster, but as it pertains to this incident, it really just seems unlucky to me. Sometimes bad things happen. I also hope that people calling for the coach to be fired pause for a minute, and realize what firing a staff mid-season would do to this program. It would set us back far more than missing on some recruits, that's for damn sure. We would be looking at a basketball-esque rebuilding process. I really hope the school has the cajones to not make any harsh decisions based on ill-founded media backlash.

Our season is not lost yet. Flood really needs to find a way to get this team to come together, focus and beat PSU.

I think you overestimate the intelligence level and motivation of the average NCAA football player.
While I don't agree with your comment questioning their intelligence I do believe they obviously lack sufficient self or impulse control. As for motivation...there is nothing more important to an athlete than being able to participate in the sport they love. Any behavior that can potentially prevent them from participating goes completely against common sense and the laws of self preservation.

While I don't agree with your comment questioning their intelligence I do believe they obviously lack sufficient self or impulse control. As for motivation...there is nothing more important to an athlete than being able to participate in the sport they love. Any behavior that can potentially prevent them from participating goes completely against common sense and the laws of self preservation.

The evidence would suggest that some things are more important to some athletes than participating in their sport. Case in point armed morons thugging it up by robbing a pot dealer and instead of acting like representatives of their program and university.

From the early reports, this was an incident between family members and people connected to the team, that occurred well after the fans were gone. If the fight was indeed between player family members, specifically a female family member of Leonte's, I'm not sure anything Flood could have said or done would have kept Leonte from involving himself.

It is what it is at this point, all we can do is move on. I really have a tough time with people using this incident as evidence that Flood has lost control. I realize things are a disaster, but as it pertains to this incident, it really just seems unlucky to me. Sometimes bad things happen. I also hope that people calling for the coach to be fired pause for a minute, and realize what firing a staff mid-season would do to this program. It would set us back far more than missing on some recruits, that's for damn sure. We would be looking at a basketball-esque rebuilding process. I really hope the school has the cajones to not make any harsh decisions based on ill-founded media backlash.

Our season is not lost yet. Flood really needs to find a way to get this team to come together, focus and beat PSU.
If I'm Caroo and It has been made clear to me that there is a zero tolerance policy in affect I would not allow a fist fight involving family members to cause me to be suspended and potentially kicked off the team, possibly risking an NFL career and millions of dollars which would benefit his family as much as him. I'm sure there were plenty of law enforcement who would have stepped in to breakup the fight.

Reactions: SouthJerseyRU

+ 1 million!

Boo to Carroo for not doing he right thing unless someone in his family was being physically assaulted and he stepped in for self-defense to protect them.

No doubt that in the seconds leading up to the critical instant - he instinctively felt that "a family member was being physically assaulted" .... Of course in the analysis of his actions the judgmental world will slow it down to a frame by frame stop action pace and assign extended thought & malicious motivation to each 1/10 of a second.

If I'm Caroo and It has been made clear to me that there is a zero tolerance policy in affect I would not allow a fist fight involving family members to cause me to be suspended and potentially kicked off the team, possibly risking an NFL career and millions of dollars which would benefit his family as much as him. I'm sure there were plenty of law enforcement who would have stepped in to breakup the fight.

That's your decision. Its all speculation right now, since we don't know what happened (and my opinion might change) but if I am a college student in Leonte's situation, and someone is beating the shit out of my sister for example, you bet your ass I am outside regardless of what is at stake. I probably have perspective at this point in my life, but at that age, no way (and even now its probably 50/50... I have no idea how I would react) .

I'm sure there were plenty of law enforcement who would have stepped in to breakup the fight.

Then why hadn't they done so by the time he reached the altercation?

I have no idea what actually happened, but the suggestion that you should expect a 22 year old to stand by while his mother or sister is getting punched out is absurd.

The evidence would suggest that some things are more important to some athletes than participating in their sport. Case in point armed morons thugging it up by robbing a pot dealer and instead of acting like representatives of their program and university.
Although the choice to involve themselves in that situation was obviously extremely stupid and the worse possible decision, it is not evidence that being involved was more important than their love for football. People in all walks of life make decision everyday that inexplicably go against their best interest and true heart's desire...not just RU football players.

Great post - the only thing I disagree with a little is that firing Flood now would send us into a basketball-esque tailspin. I do think there are definitely more negatives to firing Flood now vs. waiting until after the season, but I think we would recover (Bball has more or less been in a 25 year funk - lol). And agree that not much that could have been done. Once family is involved emotions are at peak levels and add on to that the adrenaline of being in an emotional football game they just lost - this was really the perfect storm and ended poorly. Also add in that these are -18-22 year old kids, and it just sounds like a situation spiraled out of control.

Reactions: Ole Cabbagehead
Then why hadn't they done so by the time he reached the altercation?

I have no idea what actually happened, but the suggestion that you should expect a 22 year old to stand by while his mother or sister is getting punched out is absurd.
Depending on the situation...I have no idea what occurred here but for instance if it were a fair fight between 2 individuals...Caroo could of and should of stayed out of it, Obviously if it was a case of 2 or more people beating 1 then he would be within his rights to step in and stop the beating and he will be vindicated. Furthermore, a 22 year old is not a kid and should be able to conduct himself like the adult he is and not be given a pass apparently you believe someone that age deserves.

A "fair" fight between 2 "individuals"? What if that individual was your mother and she was getting pummeled? I don't care if I was 22 or 62, I'd have gotten in the middle of that one, even at the possible risk of a professional license. Again, it's tough to judge without knowing all the facts, but when family is involved (with the possible exception of younger brother against someone else's younger brother if they were the same age and size) all bets are off.

A "fair" fight between 2 "individuals"? What if that individual was your mother and she was getting pummeled? I don't care if I was 22 or 62, I'd have gotten in the middle of that one, even at the possible risk of a professional license. Again, it's tough to judge without knowing all the facts, but when family is involved (with the possible exception of younger brother against someone else's younger brother if they were the same age and size) all bets are off.
No surprise you feel that way especially with your "what if" involving some ones mother getting pummeled. No indication that anything close to that occurred! In the Jerry Springer society we live in today no one fights their own battles. I understand the emotion involved with family but again, unless the family member was at a severe disadvantage (man vs. woman, 2 or more vs.1, elderly vs. young, very large vs. small, an unprovoked attack, etc ) anyone but especially a high profile person such as Caroo has to control his emotions. The notion that when family is involved all bets are off as you say is indicative of the Jerry Springer, reality tv world we live in. Like you say we don't know the facts but worse case should have been Caroo being a peacemaker.

Reactions: VA_Lion
Now that I'm resigned to the fact that LC is history and the season will probably be a stinker, I'm more morbidly curious than anything to find out what the heck happened. We have posters really fanning the most elaborate kinds of speculation.

I like Kyle Flood and think he is a stand up guy. I've not posted here during your rough period because I do not want to be a rude or classless guest on your site.

However...the title of this thread seems to imply that the increased scrutiny on RU from recent events is a clear reason for not striking a girl. Isn't "because you are a man" a sufficient reason?

Forget football, forget school reputations, we have a fatherless generation of young men who don't seem to know what being a real man means.

Sorry for the rant. Best wishes.

Reactions: DirtyRU
I like Kyle Flood and think he is a stand up guy. I've not posted here during your rough period because I do not want to be a rude or classless guest on your site.

However...the title of this thread seems to imply that the increased scrutiny on RU from recent events is a clear reason for not striking a girl. Isn't "because you are a man" a sufficient reason?

Forget football, forget school reputations, we have a fatherless generation of young men who don't seem to know what being a real man means.

Sorry for the rant. Best wishes.
Who said he struck a girl? Are you taking the rumors as fact or do you nothing something I don't?

So please help me and separate the rumor from the fact.

there can be no "facts" because no one with authority has spoken to the issue yet. the "rumors" are the same from every single person and every single source save a few details here and there.

Flood has his press conference at 2pm. perhaps there will be some facts that come out there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT