ADVERTISEMENT

DJ Yoshi

He is polarizing to RU football fans, but for you Yoshi fans, he will be the DJ for a postgame party following the Devils game @ the Goal Bar in Prudential Center on St Patrick's Day.

http://devils.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=111503&navid=NJD|oscm|stpatricks

Is he polarizing?

I know that some people prefer to have the band play during the game versus a DJ (whether DJ Yoshi or someone else).

But I didn't think that anyone objected to having a DJ before a game. Regardless of who the DJ is, or what the DJ plays, some people will love the music selection and others will hate it.

no offense to Yoshi but Spanky or myself could do the same job.. easily(we are DJ's as well)

polarizing is not the word to use for DJ'ing a football game

Reactions: Saint Puppy
To play devil's advocate, some of the best DJ's ever stayed underground to keep their art uninfluenced by commercialization.

Then again, DJ's gotta eat and if you don't want to be DJing into your 60s, you're going to want to make some money while still in the prime of your career.

To Yoshi's credit, he's definitely not someone folks here are going to be complaining is broke and living off hand-outs when the music stops.

Reactions: MozRU and redking
not trying to knock the guy... but don't you think there is a correlation between the lack of people in the seats prior to kick off and the choice of music????.. hmm let's see.. sit on a metal bench listening to hip-hop/rap shit or keep the grill going with music you like and people you like to be around all while drinking your favorite adult beverages.. seems kinda clear to me

guess what,Im not 18-31 years old ,but a large section of fanbase identifies with his music choice and atmosphere created in stadium during pre game.Lack of attendance of people in stands pre game is related to tailgate drinking..not music.Hopefully Hobbs will adress the over zealous lot enforcement which started driving students away last season..since Hermann was clueless.

Official-NYFW-Invite-1024x767.jpg

NYFW-UnTapped.jpg

He also has worked with a number of charity organizations including The Christopher Reeves Foundation (Team LeGrand) and The Cystic Fibrosis Foundation.

Also, please note the music selection in the "Official Inside Rutgers Football" promos. This is what the players (and future players!) listen to.

Reactions: DJYoshi
All I have to say is: Silence is Golden. Was nice back in the day when you could talk to people around you during the game.

Reactions: SanFranRutgers
no offense to Yoshi but Spanky or myself could do the same job.. easily(we are DJ's as well)
polarizing is not the word to use for DJ'ing a football game

No offense taken. I'm sure you'd do a great job.
I've never said I was the "best." I've never claimed to be something that I wasn't.
Sports Entertainment is a different animal compared to clubs, private events, etc.

It's more than pressing buttons and playing tracks. It's more than reading a crowd. It's anticipating how to play, what to play and when to play it. For my in-game work: with the Nets, Jets, B1G, Rutgers, Devils and now the All-America games, I put at least 20 additional hours in a week to pick tracks, create edits, and research BDS & Media Base reports.

I don't expect everyone to love what I do. I don't expect all to even like what I do.

But for the past 14 years, I've helped other dj's and directors get jobs in sports. I've been able to transition between all 4 major sports on the collegiate and professional level.

For those that say "This is the B1G" here's something that we kept quiet: there have been SEC and Big 12 teams that we turned down to providing services because I'm passionate about my alma mater.

I'd love to have you as my guest at the next B1G Ten event that I do. Fly yourself out, and I'll provide the credential for the weekend.

Everyone thinks that I come in, plug in and play for just pre-game.

Here's an example of B1G Ten Football Weekend for those who truly don't understand the work that goes into production of a sports weekend.

Tuesday: 7pm script read and review
Wednesday: 5pm call time.
Wednesday: 7pm fundraiser End Time 12am. Breakdown end 1:30AM
Wednesday: Back home by 3AM

Thursday: Alarm set for 5:15am
Thursday: Car arrives at 6:30am
Thursday: 10AM Flight
Thursday: 12pm Arrival
Thursday: 2pm check in
Thursday 4pm call time
Thursday 6pm volunteer start time
Thursday 10pm welcome event. End Time 1AM
Thursday: Back in the room at 1:30am. Sort Music, create edits, and review prelim script
Sleep by 4AM

Friday: Alarm set for 8AM
Friday 10am call time
Friday 11am tail gate 3pm finish
Friday 4pm call time
Friday 5:30pm stage show 9pm finish
Friday 9:30pm stadium walkthrough
Friday 11pm sponsor party 1am finish
Friday: Back in the roomm at 1:30am. Sort Music & Review Final Script
Sleep by 3AM

Saturday: Alarm set for 7:30AM
Saturday 9AM call time
Saturday 10am tail gate. 2pm finish
Saturday 3pm stadium call time & setup
Saturday 5pm sound check & script run through
Saturday 6pm go live. Finish at 11:30pm
Sunday: 12:30am After Party SEt. Finish at 2:30AM

Sunday 9AM flight
Sunday 11am arrival
Sunday 12pm Mass
Sunday: spend the entire day with my fiance, visit my parents, decompress

Monday: Alarm set for 6:30am
Monday: Car arrives at 8:am
Monday: 11am train to DC
Monday: 3pm hotel arrival
Monday: sleep, wake up and eat by 5
Monday: 6pm call time
Monday: 7pm private event start. 11pm finish

Tuesday: 6:15AM train back home
Tuesday: 11am arrival at home.... Home for 3 weeks to celebrate the holidays

New Year's Eve
3pm call time for a 3 hour setup
6pm dinner
8pm start time
1am wrap time
breakdown & travel home. arrival by 5am

New Year's Day
11:30AM Holy Day of Obligation. Church
1pm Lunch with my fiance.
2pm walk the dog.
4pm car arrives
7pm flight
9pm still on the runway
11pm still on the runway
11:59pm plane finally takes off
3:30am arrival in Orlando
5am checked into my hotel

January 2nd
7am alarm
8am call time. finish setting up at the Citrus Bowl by 9am
9am meeting & script review
11am all-america start time. 3pm wrap
pack up equipment. back in the hotel by 6pm
sleep until 7pm
8pm sponsor event.

I wanted to share a typical schedule with folks so you can understand that blending my family life with sports, my regular office work, DJ'ing in general isn't easy. Imagine having 30 weekends committed every year... Then imagine the stress on your body that lack of sleep and not having a structured day to even eat brings you.

My days with the Jets started with a 6am call time and I wasn't leaving Metlife until well after 7pm... and for a SNF game 2am.

I'm not complaining and I'm more than grateful for what I've been able to accomplish.
I don't have to run down my entire client list or awards to validate myself to others.
When I'm done with "DJ Life" I'll walk away happy because I know I busted my a**.
I know I didn't f over someone else to get my way.
I know that I went after every dream that I had and did it with dignity.

So maybe now folks will understand what it means to be in sports and do what I do.
Spend a full 20 years dj'ing with 14 of them having an over-demanding schedule at times.... then come back to me and say: "anyone can do it."

Thank you.

The guy is a sporting event DJ. It's like asking if a corporate lawyer ever does public defending. He could if he wanted to, and does occasionally stray outside sports, but sports is his focus.
You're not in my manager's office so you really don't know what requests come in.
We've already turned down 4 festivals for the year because that's not the look we're going for.
We're looking to put together and host our own festival in NJ.
We're looking to broker deals that will bring sustainability and longevity for wealth...

Should the idea take off, I'd love to have you spin a set.

I'm currently writing a book and 2 television show treatments.
I'm in the studio working on production that isn't appealing to festivals, but it's appealing to me.
I love house music, trap, etc.... but that's not where my production mind is geared towards.

I've never said I was the "best." I've never claimed to be something that I wasn't.
Sports Entertainment is a different animal compared to clubs, private events, etc.

It's more than pressing buttons and playing tracks. It's more than reading a crowd. It's anticipating how to play, what to play and when to play it. For my in-game work: with the Nets, Jets, B1G, Rutgers, Devils and now the All-America games, I put at least 20 additional hours in a week to pick tracks, create edits, and research BDS & Media Base reports.

I don't expect everyone to love what I do. I don't expect all to even like what I do.

But for the past 14 years, I've helped other dj's and directors get jobs in sports. I've been able to transition between all 4 major sports on the collegiate and professional level.

For those that say "This is the B1G" here's something that we kept quiet: there have been SEC and Big 12 teams that we turned down to providing services because I'm passionate about my alma mater.

I'd love to have you as my guest at the next B1G Ten event that I do. Fly yourself out, and I'll provide the credential for the weekend.

Here's an example of B1G Ten Football Weekend for those who truly don't understand the work that goes into production of a sports weekend.

Thursday 4pm call time
Thursday: Back in the room at 1:30am. Sort Music, create edits, and review prelim script
Sleep by 4AM

Friday 10am call time
Friday 4pm call time
Sleep by 3AM

Saturday 9AM call time

Sunday 9AM flight
Sunday 11am arrival
Sunday 12pm Mass

New Year's Eve
6pm dinner
8pm start time
1am wrap time

New Year's Day
2pm walk the dog.
4pm car arrives
7pm flight
9pm still on the runway
11pm still on the runway

January 2nd
7am alarm
sleep until 7pm
8pm sponsor event.

I wanted to share a typical schedule with folks so you can understand that blending my family life with sports, my regular office work, DJ'ing in general isn't easy. Imagine having 30 weekends committed every year... Then imagine the stress on your body that lack of sleep and not having a structured day to even eat brings you.

My days with the Jets started with a 6am call time and I wasn't leaving Metlife until well after 7pm... and for a SNF game 2am.

I'm not complaining and I'm more than grateful for what I've been able to accomplish.
I don't have to run down my entire client list or awards to validate myself to others.
When I'm done with "DJ Life" I'll walk away happy because I know I busted my a**.

So maybe now folks will understand what it means to be in sports and do what I do.
Spend a full 20 years dj'ing with 14 of them having an over-demanding schedule at times.... then come back to me and say: "anyone can do it."

Thank you.
As Mom used to say, some of you should put that in your pipe and smoke it.
ownedico.gif

cropped-sethdropsthemic.png

Thursday 4pm call time
Sleep by 4AM

Friday 10am call time
Friday 4pm call time
Sleep by 3AM

Saturday 9AM call time

Sunday 9AM flight
Sunday 11am arrival
Sunday 12pm Mass

New Year's Eve
6pm dinner
8pm start time
1am wrap time

New Year's Day
2pm walk the dog.
4pm car arrives
7pm flight
9pm still on the runway
11pm still on the runway

January 2nd
7am alarm
sleep until 7pm
8pm sponsor event.

Thank you.
i gotta like the fact that you came to your own defense even though i really don't have any offense intended.. i just do the trance scene and metal/rock scene.. i'm a drummer in a local band and DJ so i know how hectic and critical people can be.. but mad props for showing up in the thread[cheers]

Reactions: goldb80
You're not in my manager's office so you really don't know what requests come in.
We've already turned down 4 festivals for the year because that's not the look we're going for.
We're looking to put together and host our own festival in NJ.
We're looking to broker deals that will bring sustainability and longevity for wealth...

Should the idea take off, I'd love to have you spin a set.

I'm currently writing a book and 2 television show treatments.
I'm in the studio working on production that isn't appealing to festivals, but it's appealing to me.
I love house music, trap, etc.... but that's not where my production mind is geared towards.
happy hardcore?

not trying to knock the guy... but don't you think there is a correlation between the lack of people in the seats prior to kick off and the choice of music????.. hmm let's see.. sit on a metal bench listening to hip-hop/rap shit or keep the grill going with music you like and people you like to be around all while drinking your favorite adult beverages.. seems kinda clear to me

No, there is very little correlation to the choice of music and arrival time. There is correlation between having a good time in the parking lot and leaving that enjoyment to head into the game for a number of people.

Reactions: PeteGiam07
I am a little older but I think Yoshi does a good job of mixing in some rock for 80's folks.

No, there is very little correlation to the choice of music and arrival time. There is correlation between having a good time in the parking lot and leaving that enjoyment to head into the game for a number of people.

This.

When our group decides when to break down our tailgate, we consider stuff like if we should have another beer, or finish a conversation we're having. I don't remember anyone ever saying that we should tailgate longer so we don't have to listen to the pregame hiphop music.

On the other hand, no one has ever said that they want to head in earlier to listen to the DJ. But some in our group have said they want to get in earlier for pregame presentations or in time for the national anthem.

I would guess that for most people, the pregame DJ is just background music. Which is fine, because, in reality, that is what it is.

You want people in their seats, start getting creative:
20 min early (or earlier) - 20% off concessions/gear

A person's scanned ticket becomes a coupon (of course that's assuming that the scanner tech found at the turnstiles can somehow upload ticket scan times to the point of service machines).

Coupon is only redeemable once.

Reactions: lighty and redking
Myself and my friends feed off of the student section who is the heart and soul of our stadium. They will not be as into old school tunes as the rest of the stadium. I think Yoshi does a great job. Not easy pleasing everyone.

Yoshi, I worked with Dj Ian for my wedding and his entire lifetime entertainment company is top notch products and people. ID recommend them to anyone having events or planning for a wedding. First class.

And please, play more trap. Love that and it might appeal to old school hip hop lovers and new school students. Yellowclaw...

Reactions: DJYoshi
guess what,Im not 18-31 years old ,but a large section of fanbase identifies with his music choice and atmosphere created in stadium during pre game.Lack of attendance of people in stands pre game is related to tailgate drinking..not music.Hopefully Hobbs will adress the over zealous lot enforcement which started driving students away last season..since Hermann was clueless.
Those people that might identify with his musical choices (students) aren't in the stadium pregame. They are the last ones in the stadium. If you want to argue the players like his musical choices and the music is for them that's a better argument.

Reactions: RU-AGK
This.

When our group decides when to break down our tailgate, we consider stuff like if we should have another beer, or finish a conversation we're having. I don't remember anyone ever saying that we should tailgate longer so we don't have to listen to the pregame hiphop music.

On the other hand, no one has ever said that they want to head in earlier to listen to the DJ. But some in our group have said they want to get in earlier for pregame presentations or in time for the national anthem.

I would guess that for most people, the pregame DJ is just background music. Which is fine, because, in reality, that is what it is.
I wish it was background music. Most of the time it is ear splitting bad foreground music.

Guys...

The guy is one of us...and a fan just like one of us.

And he is one of the best at what he does....

Realize that he is playing for a WIDE age demographic base here...and to many of us, what he plays isn't appealing to your current demographic.

The music (??) he plays during basketball warm-ups is crap. It makes my head hurt. It sounds like a bad dream (nightmare). The sooner they dump him the better. When he started playing in the RAC we sat in section 105 and had to move to the other side of the court the next year so that we could be able to have a conversation between ourselves. Unfortunately the volume was only a little better. Yes, I'm in my late 60's but give me Metallica or Ozzy any day besides that noise that he plays.

The music (??) he plays during basketball warm-ups is crap. It makes my head hurt. It sounds like a bad dream (nightmare). The sooner they dump him the better. When he started playing in the RAC we sat in section 105 and had to move to the other side of the court the next year so that we could be able to have a conversation between ourselves. Unfortunately the volume was only a little better. Yes, I'm in my late 60's but give me Metallica or Ozzy any day besides that noise that he plays.

Does Yoshi do the pre-game music at the RAC?

I agree that music is crap.

It is also a big problem in the hospitality area, since the loud music in the court area is also very loud in the hospitality area. The problem is the hospitality area is populated with a mostly older crowd of big donors. Many have complained that they don't like the music, and it is so loud that it prevents conversation. I know several donors who have indicated that they will opt out of paying for the hospitality area next year (they didn't mention if they would also opt out of their donations) specifically because of the music.

It is one thing it people dislike the music played in a mostly empty football stadium, or it they only have to listen to the music for a few minutes before the start of a football game. It is a completely different thing when the music is chasing away donors who pay for a pre-game meal at the RAC.

Those people that might identify with his musical choices (students) aren't in the stadium pregame. They are the last ones in the stadium. If you want to argue the players like his musical choices and the music is for them that's a better argument.

It has been explained ad-nauseum on this board why the students/young alumni have been late or no-shows to the stadium the past couple of seasons. Unfortunately, until the overzealous tailgate enforcement issues in the lots are rectified, I don't foresee that changing (with the exception of a big game here or there) anytime soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: ATIOH
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT