ADVERTISEMENT

Don Bosco vs Ramapo 1/25 - Dylan Harper

PSAL_Hoops

All American
Feb 18, 2008

Game last night at Ramapo. Looks like Bosco won 59 - 45. This seems to be a Ramapo feed so it’s more geared towards capturing their highlights - good opportunity to observe where Dylan is at on D (a la Green special).

This is a limited sample, but based on it, I’m not sure why everyone expects that Dylan will be (or even wants to be) primary PG. He sometimes brings up the ball, but he’s not even the only guy doing so for his HS team.

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
A facilitating point guard has to be priority 1, 2, and 3 in the portal. Ace and Dylan are talented but bringing in an experienced guy who knows how to make others better is how we make the most of their one year.

Reactions: PSAL_Hoops
A facilitating point guard has to be priority 1, 2, and 3 in the portal. Ace and Dylan are talented but bringing in an experienced guy who knows how to make others better is how we make the most of their one year.

I think this footage provides as close to a realistic picture of Dylan’s starting point as we’re going to get. Although there may be more talent in some of the televised AAU showdowns, Nick Vier’s Ramapo team is well coached and plays D (unlike what you often see in the AAU circuit). Ramapo also looks a lot more balanced than Ace’s HS team in my opinion (based on this limited sample) hence why they were able to contain Dylan to 15 points and keep it close for a while.

Game last night at Ramapo. Looks like Bosco won 59 - 45. This seems to be a Ramapo feed so it’s more geared towards capturing their highlights - good opportunity to observe where Dylan is at on D (a la Green special).

This is a limited sample, but based on it, I’m not sure why everyone expects that Dylan will be (or even wants to be) primary PG. He sometimes brings up the ball, but he’s not even the only guy doing so for his HS team.
Harper's elite on the fast break. It's going to be very interesting seeing how pike incorporates this level of talent - he and Ace.

Looking at the 1st 7 minutes on D. He has the tools to be a good defender I believe, but like gavin he hasn't conquered playing D off the ball. He isn't aware at all times where the ball is. The Bosco coaching staff is also not asking anything of him defensively. He basically is taking off half the game on the defensive end.

There is going to be a HUGE adjustment for Dylan in 2 facets.

1. Playing help D and staying engaged on D
2. Playing offense with a heart rate 15-20+ BPM higher than he is accustomed to.

Dylan may end up making a great pro. The thought that he comes here and we suddenly as a Final 4 team with Derek Simpson as a PG is borderline laughable.

This is not a player ready to play both ends of a B1G basketball game.

• Haha
Reactions: cshelley
Not sure who argued with me.....this is a type of game that readies a player for the next level over AAU. Ramapo is fighting each possession just like what will happen in the B1G. This is a far cry from AAU ball.

This is basketball, in my eyes, in a pure sense.

Not sure who argued with me.....this is a type of game that readies a player for the next level over AAU. Ramapo is fighting each possession just like what will happen in the B1G. This is a far cry from AAU ball.

Much closer to college basketball than the video I saw of Lathan Sommerville the other day.

Harper and all kids that are in this 5* terrain, are graded based on where they land in regards to the NBA game, not CBB.

Harper at the NBA level is going to be evaluated as a Combo guard.....he's a NBA guard in style of play.

None of this has any relevance to his performance at RU. Scouts are paid to evaluate fit and style at the next level
In terms of RU, you don't necessarily need Dylan bringing the ball up, Davis or Simpson can do that heavy lifting.

Harper is here to score and playmake for his teammates, you don't have to be the point guard to do that in college basketball.

Jermiah Williams will be the other starting guard.Thr transfer portal priority should be for a starting center to replace Cliff.

that looks like a AAU game
I never know how to judge this stuff. I am certain that many, many great college players had their high school games look like glorified scrimmages. One thing I want to do this spring/summer is look at the incoming recruits and see if I can pick which ones end up being Owen Freeman or last year's Braden Smith as freshmen and which ones end up being Gavin Griffiths or Xavier Booker.

Jermiah Williams will be the other starting guard.Thr transfer portal priority should be for a starting center to replace Cliff.
Williams is a combo, not a true point (to me). His assist numbers are a little juiced from Temple because he would get credit for an assist for passing it to a talented one-on-one scorer like Damian Dunn or Khalif Battle and letting them go to work. Which, yes, he could do that with Harper and Ace but Temple's offense was never anywhere near as good as it should have been considering it had guys end up at Houston, Arkansas, Memphis, Rutgers, and Penn State.

Williams is a combo, not a true point (to me). His assist numbers are a little juiced from Temple because he would get credit for an assist for passing it to a talented one-on-one scorer like Damian Dunn or Khalif Battle and letting them go to work. Which, yes, he could do that with Harper and Ace but Temple's offense was never anywhere near as good as it should have been considering it had guys end up at Houston, Arkansas, Memphis, Rutgers, and Penn State.

Don’t think you get an assist if the recipient of the pass takes a dribble

Reactions: RUChoppin
You don't get assists for that

Reactions: cm_13
Fair enough. I would love to find some tape of Williams but there's virtually nothing on YouTube. I found a Temple vs. Maryland Eastern Shore game, that's about it.

Fair enough. I would love to find some tape of Williams but there's virtually nothing on YouTube. I found a Temple vs. Maryland Eastern Shore game, that's about it.
His four assists from that game:

1. Lobbed over top of a zone to Jake Forrester for a layup
2. Inbounds pass for a Battle three
3. Inbounds pass for a Dunn bucket at the rim
4. Swung to Hicks on the perimeter for a three

I guess what I'm picturing when I say a true point guard is someone who can make the defense move and then dish for easy buckets. Even Mulcahy with his limited quickness could do that in the lane. From what I have seen of Williams (and it is admittedly very little) I am not convinced he is that guy. I think he can be a helpful piece but our offense desperately needs a guard like a Tyler Kolek, Tristen Newton, Dajuan Harris... someone wired to facilitate (Kolek and Newton were transfers too. These guys exist out there)

Yes 100%. That’s why I directed you to this video. I knew you’d say something like that.

I don’t follow much recruiting and have no idea what the ceiling talent level is on the Ramapo roster (number 3 is a sophomore and looks legit to me?), but in my view, the floor talent level of the opponent matters more. Ramapo is balanced - all the guys who saw time before garbage time look like they are probably future D2 level or at least solid D3 players at worst. You don’t see that too often with HS teams which is why Dylan often puts up video game like stats. Games like this one should level set expectations somewhat.

That’s the challenge with scouting for college. The AAU games have the talent but lack any real coaching schematics and D. Just a Mecca for iso ball. It’s great to stand out there but it doesn’t necessarily translate to a stand out frosh season in college because so many elements of the college game are missing. The high school games have more of those missing parts, but most of the HS teams are lucky to have 2-3 future college level players on them. Think of the surrounding cast on Ace’s team.

Yes 100%. That’s why I directed you to this video. I knew you’d say something like that.

I don’t follow much recruiting and have no idea what the ceiling talent level is on the Ramapo roster (number 3 is a sophomore and looks legit to me?), but in my view, the floor talent level of the opponent matters more. Ramapo is balanced - all the guys who saw time before garbage time look like they are probably future D2 level or at least solid D3 players at worst. You don’t see that too often with HS teams which is why Dylan often puts up video game like stats. Games like this one should level set expectations somewhat.

That’s the challenge with scouting for college. The AAU games have the talent but lack any real coaching schematics and D. Just a Mecca for iso ball. It’s great to stand out there but it doesn’t necessarily translate to a stand out frosh season in college because so many elements of the college game are missing. The high school games have more of those missing parts, but most of the HS teams are lucky to have 2-3 future college level players on them. Think of the surrounding cast on Ace’s team.
#10 on Ramapo is going to Princeton

AAU is an extension of the NBA. High level high school basketball is becoming an extension of AAU. In terms of individual fundamentals and team discipline, more coaching takes place at the average public high school. It has to in order for them to compete with the private schools who are stealing their talent.

AAU is an extension of the NBA. High level high school basketball is becoming an extension of AAU. In terms of individual fundamentals and team discipline, more coaching takes place at the average public high school. It has to in order for them to compete with the private schools who are stealing their talent.
IF this is true, and i don't doubt that it is........starting to think those type of kids are ready to come in and be ready to go Day 1 for Pike on the defensive end.

Theirs a few games on youtube. Type in Temple basketball 2021, instead of Jeremiah Williams

Last edited:
Reactions: kcg88
I can live with 45, but is it really necessary in HS?

As I said, I wasn’t in favor of it initially but got used to it and now I think it should probably be implemented everywhere. A single digit MOV game should never be “over”with 5-6 minutes to play but a team with decent ball handlers can nurse an 8 point lead down to the buzzer - don’t like that especially with the changes to the foul rules awarding 2 shots for the 5th foul on. Some would admire the discipline involved in running down the clock like that (I was in that camp once) but alas that “skill” isn’t translatable at the next level so I no longer think it should be rewarded at the high school level either. 45 seconds would be fine. High school should definitely have longer to run the offensive sets - just not forever.

Reactions: KevH
As I said, I wasn’t in favor of it initially but got used to it and now I think it should probably be implemented everywhere. A single digit MOV game should never be “over”with 5-6 minutes to play but a team with decent ball handlers can nurse an 8 point lead down to the buzzer - don’t like that especially with the changes to the foul rules awarding 2 shots for the 5th foul on. Some would admire the discipline involved in running down the clock like that (I was in that camp once) but alas that “skill” isn’t translatable at the next level so I no longer think it should be rewarded at the high school level either. 45 seconds would be fine. High school should definitely have longer to run the offensive sets - just not forever.
Fair assessment. 1 want 45 seconds. Give time for ball reversals and make D work!

No. 0 from don Bosco looks pretty good. What year is he? If anyone knows.

Most definitely not Ramapo's feed since "Bucket U" was prominently displayed at the bottom throughout. They cover North Jersey basketball if you look at their Instagram page. Not sure why much of this was Ramapo centric though.

Dylan will be at PG in college, he made it clear in his recruitment he wanted the ball in his hands and that's how he played during the EYBL season.

Most definitely not Ramapo's feed since "Bucket U" was prominently displayed at the bottom throughout. They cover North Jersey basketball if you look at their Instagram page. Not sure why much of this was Ramapo centric though.

Dylan will be at PG in college, he made it clear in his recruitment he wanted the ball in his hands and that's how he played during the EYBL season.

Yeah I just meant it was captured from a pro Ramapo lens in that it seemed like the game was closer than it actually was for longer. Didn’t seem like all of Dylan’s points were captured either. It’s only 23 minutes so portions of the game obviously not in there.

Yeah I just meant it was captured from a pro Ramapo lens in that it seemed like the game was closer than it actually was for longer. Didn’t seem like all of Dylan’s points were captured either. It’s only 23 minutes so portions of the game obviously not in there.
Lots of skilled players on the court. Id think the big guy on Bosco is going to be a hot recruit. #10 ramapo can play and #30 on bosco could definitely play on a lower D1 school

All I’m saying is if you didn’t know who he was and you watched this video, you would assume the kid going to Howard (number 0) was the primary PG of the team. He didn’t have to stay at Bosco 4 years ya know. If sharing the PG responsibilities was an issue for him he would’ve gone somewhere else.

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT