ADVERTISEMENT

Downward Trend in College Football Attendance:

While attendance is dropping, you also have to take into account that the FBS keeps ADDING teams. The programs that are making the jump from FCS to FBS are generally not going to have 75k stadiums to fill.

Reactions: Doctor Worm
This isn't just a college football issue. Most major league sports are very concerned about live attendance numbers. The article is correct on several issues affecting ticket sales. “There’s no line at the restroom, the beer is always cold [at home]. You don’t have to invest 8 hours going to the stadium. There’s no parking fees. You don’t have to pay seat license, and on your 70-inch TV it’s a pretty good viewing experience.” These are all certainly several reasons I dropped my season tickets after 20+ years. A shitty on-field product and a real lack of customer appreciation didn't help.

Brian Leonard is concerned with the downward trend.

PS- I haven't missed a home game in many years.

I honestly don't know when the last time I saw him at a Rutgers game. He was one of my favorite players. What's he been up to ?

And tv ratings are still strong. All the tv timeouts when you’re at a game in the stands are just brutal. College games take too long to play because of it.
Yes, rather than talking about the lack of WiFi in stadiums, or not enough minor league baseball like diversions, I'd suggest if they really wanted to improve the in-game experience they would reduce the number of TV timeouts. Move toward the European Soccer model where the advertising is interwoven into the TV broadcast without any stoppage in play.

While attendance is dropping, you also have to take into account that the FBS keeps ADDING teams. The programs that are making the jump from FCS to FBS are generally not going to have 75k stadiums to fill.

plus teams like Uconn are drawing less than FCS schools.

The popular schools are still just as popular as ever and still sell out.

We would sell out every game if we were not going through such a slump right now.

plus teams like Uconn are drawing less than FCS schools.

The popular schools are still just as popular as ever and still sell out.

We would sell out every game if we were not going through such a slump right now.

Even the Blue Bloods are seeing a downward trend, just not as aggressive as schools that have several years of losing like us.

Smart phones are also playing a part in this. The attention span of the average human is shrinking at an alarming............................sorry, had to check my phone. At an alarming rate.

RU students leave the game in droves at halftime...when we are winning or its a close game, they have no real interest in the game, its about drinking and with Hobbs not able to deliver the promise of the Alley they are just going back to college ave

This. Most of them can’t fill half of 25,000 seat stadiums.

Reactions: ivan brunetti
Shortening the time of the game would be a huge improvement. Getting rid of the tv timeouts would help.

Agreed. I've been watching the new AAC this spring and one of the best things about it is the faster pace of the games.

One thing that would help would be to make the play clock 15 seconds or so. I don't mind the huddle, but I can understand why some of the younger fans get bored with all the standing around before a play. Even the teams that do not huddle spend the full clock at the line looking toward the sideline except when they are running tempo or the 2 min drill.

Many fans have been priced out of the live college football experience. Meanwhile, it’s been made more convenient than ever to watch a game from home in high definition and with surround sound.
That is so true. For a season ticket or two, I can get a gazillion inch TV screen with a quadraphonic Blaupunkt surround sound system.

[Big 12 commissioner Bob] Bowlsby also believes “lack of in-stadium WiFi, shifting game times, student apathy and ticket prices” have played into the numbers decline.
Those two right there are your main problems.

In the broadest sense declining attendance may also simply be another dismal reflection of the decline of community in America, another example of people isolating themselves behind electronic devices instead of feeling a need to be around other people. I wonder if theres a generational element to who isn't showing up.

This is why I don't see any reason to expand the football stadium (other than suites) unless there is sustained overwhelming demand. And then I'd still only grow slightly.

While home viewing was being made better and cheaper (TVs) the live experience was being made worse (ever more security hassles, longer games, noon starts, etc.) and more expensive.

Everybody can see what the problems are but the NCAA and the Conferences would rather apply band-aids and try gimmicks instead of correcting their own mistakes.

Reactions: RUskoolie
All of thes thing may be true but at the end of the day, if Rutgers starts winning games people will show up.

Last edited:
Too many rules and regulations in the tailgate lots and stadium, and the short-sighted “current giving” and ever-changing priority points policies are only meaningful when there is a demand for tickets and parking tags.
Long time fans have had enough. It isn’t enough to be a long-time supporter (buyer of overpriced tickets and parking tags).
The Athletics Department’s model only makes sense if the program has tradition and sustained success. Why spend money on prime seat locations? ... Two minutes into the game you can move to a seat in almost any section of the stadium. None of the stadium staff asks to see ticket stubs.
Staying home and watching competitive games on TV is an easy and comfortable choice.

In the broadest sense declining attendance may also simply be another dismal reflection of the decline of community in America, another example of people isolating themselves behind electronic devices instead of feeling a need to be around other people. I wonder if theres a generational element to who isn't showing up.
Makes sense...being around most people sucks quite frankly...

Reactions: hankee18
TV timeouts are painful. Bad weather is another issue. Conflicting plans are a problem too and trying to sell on the secondary market if you can't make it is usually is not worth the effort.

As one who doesn't frequently tailgate, and who has young children, the time involved with seeing games live can be tough. The games haven't risen to the level of "event" status for the kids yet, and they don't have the endurance to sit through a whole game at the stadium - so, going with them means leaving early or missing a lot of the game getting up to walk them around the concourse, and going without them means lining up babysitting.

Was hoping that next year would be "the year" that they'd be more interested in the game itself and want to stay for the whole thing - and then Ash crapped all over that plan, and was retained for his efforts.

Yes, rather than talking about the lack of WiFi in stadiums, or not enough minor league baseball like diversions, I'd suggest if they really wanted to improve the in-game experience they would reduce the number of TV timeouts. Move toward the European Soccer model where the advertising is interwoven into the TV broadcast without any stoppage in play.

The NHL has done this by painting advertisements on the glass behind the goal on the broadcast. There is no reason they couldn't do something similar on the football field. Have the QB line up in the shotgun and paint a Mercedes-Benz insignia under him.

Going to a game is about the total experience not just the game. Its about getting outside and socializing with friends and people near your tailgate. Its acting silly and eating and drinking. Now if you prefer sitting on you ass in a chair alone in a dark room by yourself, well good for you.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
Going to a game is about the total experience not just the game. Its about getting outside and socializing with friends and people near your tailgate. Its acting silly and eating and drinking. Now if you prefer sitting on you ass in a chair alone in a dark room by yourself, well good for you.

You do know that people arent sitting alone in a chair in a dark room for 3 hours before the game?

They are usually doing other things that may or may not include getting outside and socializing with friends.

Brian Leonard is concerned with the downward trend.

PS- I haven't missed a home game in many years.

I honestly don't know when the last time I saw him at a Rutgers game. He was one of my favorite players. What's he been up to ?

He called me earlier the week asking me to renew.
When I expressed my concern on the ability of the current Head Coach Brian just kept on talking......

And tv ratings are still strong. All the tv timeouts when you’re at a game in the stands are just brutal. College games take too long to play because of it.
Agreed. Games are almost four hours. I know it was a different time and style of game but I've been going to games since the 70s and they used to be 2 1/2 hrs. God I miss those days.
The constant reviews, tv timeouts, and passing is brutal. I don't see it ever changing, however.

Agreed. Games are almost four hours. I know it was a different time and style of game but I've been going to games since the 70s and they used to be 2 1/2 hrs. God I miss those days.
The constant reviews, tv timeouts, and passing is brutal. I don't see it ever changing, however.

The only thing they can do is something with the tv timeouts . I cross my fingers that changes

The only thing they can do is something with the tv timeouts . I cross my fingers that changes
Yep. There's no momentum to games anymore. The defense gets a big stop. Punt. TV timeout. There's no flow to the games anymore. Just a damn shame. And then I have a two hour drive home. Makes for a very long, exhausting day.

He called me earlier the week asking me to renew.
When I expressed my concern on the ability of the current Head Coach Brian just kept on talking......
Brian Leonard talks, you just listen.

It's the millennials. They are screwing up everything. And they don't even wear watches or iron their shirts. Last week, I had to chase six of them off my lawn!
Absolutely! They've had it so easy it's sickening. Hell, we used to have to walk 4 miles to school. Uphill each way. During a driving blizzard. And they hadn't even invented shoes yet!

Reactions: RutgHoops
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT