ADVERTISEMENT

Dylan Harper MVP Highlights from Jordan Brand Classic

I wonder why a highly-rated player participates in such games. What does he have to gain? It's not like it's even a prestigious game, like the McDonald's one. There must be some kind of NIL-ish obligation that we don't know about, given that many top players were there (or at least some of them).

Not to take away from the man's awesome performance...

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
I wonder why a highly-rated player participates in such games. What does he have to gain? It's not like it's even a prestigious game, like the McDonald's one. There must be some kind of NIL-ish obligation that we don't know about, given that many top players were there (or at least some of them).

I am guessing you have to wear Nike.

Reactions: dconifer
Looks good. A lot of iso but that may just be the nature of the game.
Seemed he had the ball in his hand for a majority of the highlights and bringing the ball up the court.

Will be interesting if this carries over into next year and who mostly runs the offense and has the ball in their hand. And how the rest of the roster adapts to that.

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
Love this write up from a Duke affiliated source on the game:

"Cooper Flagg did well. He did, well, Cooper Flagg things. He scored, he blocked and he rebounded....

But Dylan Harper was better.

The future Rutgers Scarlet Knight lit up the basket for 30 points including a riveting three point duel with McNeeley late in the game. We knew he was good but we didn't think he could do what he did. Yet he did."

In edit: Meanwhile Adam Zagoria, our hometown reporter, covered the game for NJ.com and focused on Cooper Flag and the Duke recruits?!?

Love this write up from a Duke affiliated source on the game:

"Cooper Flagg did well. He did, well, Cooper Flagg things. He scored, he blocked and he rebounded....

But Dylan Harper was better.

The future Rutgers Scarlet Knight lit up the basket for 30 points including a riveting three point duel with McNeeley late in the game. We knew he was good but we didn't think he could do what he did. Yet he did."

In edit: Meanwhile Adam Zagoria, our hometown reporter, covered the game for NJ.com and focused on Cooper Flag and the Duke recruits?!?

Our local media is an embarrassment.

Reactions: satnom and Smols
Meanwhile Adam Zagoria, our hometown reporter, covered the game for NJ.com and focused on Cooper Flag and the Duke recruits?!?

way to go Jersey media: way to capture the local story. It wasnt that the incoming Rutgers player was the star of the show - the story of interest was the impact of DUKE'S recruiting class?!?! I mean WTF?!

way to go Jersey media: way to capture the local story. It wasnt that the incoming Rutgers player was the star of the show - the story of interest was the impact of DUKE'S recruiting class?!?! I mean WTF?!
I know Zagoria isn't a Rutgers beat reporter. He probably was supposed to be covering the game from a non-Rutgers slant. But if even the Duke sites are talking about Dylan Harper more than a NJ.com story...

Looks good. A lot of iso but that may just be the nature of the game.
Seemed he had the ball in his hand for a majority of the highlights and bringing the ball up the court.

Will be interesting if this carries over into next year and who mostly runs the offense and has the ball in their hand. And how the rest of the roster adapts to that.
I hope he doesn't go 9-27 from the field 😁.

If Dylan is as good as everyone says he would finish the day 10-28 and not miss the shot on the bus.

The Jordan Brand Classic has been in existence for 23 years.

These kids love basketball and love the spotlight. All the top high school players have been playing in these type of games for decades. Not sure why you would wonder why they play.

If Dylan is as good as everyone says he would finish the day 10-28 and not miss the shot on the bus.
He is not a great shooter. But he is

He is not a great shooter per say...but a hell of a player....He is as good or better then any kid in the country in his class

The Jordan Brand Classic has been in existence for 23 years.

These kids love basketball and love the spotlight. All the top high school players have been playing in these type of games for decades. Not sure why you would wonder why they play.
Well, college football players have been playing in bowl games for decades as well, but now some (especially the stars who have already got their landing spot at the next level secured) are opting out because they're being advised that there's nothing to gain but a lot to lose. A few have even dropped out as soon as their team is no longer in playoff contention.

Glad to see that this hasn't started for high school players (yet).

Good luck to Dylan H...

Reactions: PiscatawayMike
Well, college football players have been playing in bowl games for decades as well, but now some (especially the stars who have already got their landing spot at the next level secured) are opting out because they're being advised that there's nothing to gain but a lot to lose. A few have even dropped out as soon as their team is no longer in playoff contention.

Glad to see that this hasn't started for high school players (yet).

Good luck to Dylan H...
I see your point. However, it's much easier to get injured on the gridiron than on the court.

I see your point. However, it's much easier to get injured on the gridiron than on the court.
Yeah, agreed. I thought of that after I posted. A career-impact injury isn't very likely in one of these games, and they do look like a lot of fun for the players...

Reactions: Scarlet83
He's a hell of a player. It's great fun watching those highlights.

But while I'm super excited to have him, I won't start counting my chickens about next season until we see the entire team playing together against some quality competition. Highlights from games like that where nobody's really playing much defense while fun, are ultimately meaningless.

The kid can sure shoot though. Very smooth player. 🙂

He's a hell of a player. It's great fun watching those highlights.

But while I'm super excited to have him, I won't start counting my chickens about next season until we see the entire team playing together against some quality competition. Highlights from games like that where nobody's really playing much defense while fun, are ultimately meaningless.

The kid can sure shoot though. Very smooth player. 🙂
I count one chicken.

He'll be the best player to ever don the Scarlet Knight uniform. He is on a mission. He has something to prove and he has some IOU's to dole out to Big Ten teams. It is more than the physical talent. It is the IQ, leadership and determination that are going to set him apart.

He'll be the best player to ever don the Scarlet Knight uniform. He is on a mission. He has something to prove and he has some IOU's to dole out to Big Ten teams. It is more than the physical talent. It is the IQ, leadership and determination that are going to set him apart.

What do you mean something to prove?
IOUs? Did a Big Ten team slight him?

If anything Indiana would have an IOU after he clowned them during his official visit with the picture mimicking his brothers big shot.

To play with other highly rated players, to play on TV. He’s a 17 year old kid that wants to play and compete.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT