ADVERTISEMENT

Early Line-up Look: Rutgers Scarlet Knights

White at 165...I'll give it a shot as I'd lose my mind if we threw O'Neill out there to be completely overmatched for the 3rd year in a row at 165.

White at 165...I'll give it a shot as I'd lose my mind if we threw O'Neill out there to be completely overmatched for the 3rd year in a row at 165.
TBH White moving up two weight classes doesn't give me a ton of confidence given that he regularly seemed overpowered at 149 but at least we are trying something different since we couldn't land anyone at the portal at that weight.

Not bad, from 2016-2022 we were always a top 20 team.. we just need a little more firepower to reach that next tier..

It’s pretty cool that we have a NQ+ at every weight.. and seems like people are worried about the White move up, but I usually tend to see wrestlers do the same, if not better, when they don’t have to worry about cutting.

TBH White moving up two weight classes doesn't give me a ton of confidence given that he regularly seemed overpowered at 149 but at least we are trying something different since we couldn't land anyone at the portal at that weight.
One can be stronger at a higher wgt if they build the muscle to do it... Sucking down too much does leave you weaker...

There’s 7 guys in the starting lineup capable of being AA’s. Obviously we’re not getting all 7 on the podium though.

I think Peterson and Slavikouski are the top tier in terms of likelihood as far as our roster goes.

After that is Soldano. Next is Poz, Shawver, and Moore, probably in that order. Then Turley is the Hail Mary. I don’t think Butler, White, or Clark are capable of getting there.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
There’s 7 guys in the starting lineup capable of being AA’s. Obviously we’re not getting all 7 on the podium though.

I think Peterson and Slavikouski are the top tier in terms of likelihood as far as our roster goes.

After that is Soldano. Next is Poz, Shawver, and Moore, probably in that order. Then Turley is the Hail Mary. I don’t think Butler, White, or Clark are capable of getting there.

I agree with your exact order of realistic AA.. chances it’s close with our top 3…then I’d switch Moore and Shawver… Turley, butler, white, Clark are all wild cards until proven otherwise.

Last edited:
We have the potential for a great season. Jersey Mike’s could really be rocking. Just hope our historic summer optimism doesn’t turn into disappointment during the season.

Reactions: Peteras9144
One can be stronger at a higher wgt if they build the muscle to do it... Sucking down too much does leave you weaker...
For sure but it’s a big jump and I doubt at least in the beginning of the year he will be cutting much since it’s nearly impossible to add that much good weight/muscle in that time frame so the guys he will wrestling against will still be bigger/stronger than him

For sure but it’s a big jump and I doubt at least in the beginning of the year he will be cutting much since it’s nearly impossible to add that much good weight/muscle in that time frame so the guys he will wrestling against will still be bigger/stronger than him
Plan A was to get a 165 from the portal and White to go 157 and Clark redshirt. Then the following year White to move up to 165(although Clark wanted to wrestle this season, so he will be happy). White did wrestle 74kg(163lbs) at the end of April at the U-23's. Not sure if he was cutting any weight for that tournament, but he is getting bigger.

Well, there is a way not saying White took it. I've seen one fella I wrestled with comeback much, much, bigger in one year. We knew what was going on but he was on our team so we really didn't care. And yeah it worked, he was pummeling people at the much higher weight. If White didn't live in the weight room this offseason, he's going to be the one getting pummeled.

We have the potential for a great season. Jersey Mike’s could really be rocking. Just hope our historic summer optimism doesn’t turn into disappointment during the season.
I will believe the cycle I have published multiple times will continue until it finally doesn't. Or, put more simply, I'll believe it when I see it. I'm cautiously optimistic that we'll have a better season than last. I'll be interested to see if not only White, but if Shawver will be competitive at 133, and if Poz can be competitive at 197 and do as well in his fourth year as he did as a Freshman.

Pess
I think Shawver will surprise you and Poz sure has bulked up with good muscle. Soldano wrestled with a plate in his arm all year that arm was infected and is now out so he should be better so cautiously optimistic is a good starting point.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Pess
I think Shawver will surprise you and Poz sure has bulked up with good muscle. Soldano wrestled with a plate in his arm all year that arm was infected and is now out so he should be better so cautiously optimistic is a good starting point.
Good to hear, Bill. As you know, I'm a big Poz fan, so hopeful that he will do well and stay healthy. Soldano has great potential, and I certainly hope to see him develop. I'm also encouraged to see that Turley is still active this off-season. I have said before that he could be a high performer if he stays in shape, trains throughout the off-season, and enters the coming season ready to pick up where he left off. I really believe that, but he has to make it happen. We'll know after his first tough match.

Reactions: brentx35
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT