ADVERTISEMENT

Mag visiting San Diego State

I wouldn't blame a team for taking a flyer on Mag. When he's healthy and motivated he make a significant game impact. I just wouldn't deal with his drama or handlers' baggage. Make it clear they'll give him X amount money for the role of Y and he can take it or leave it.

Reactions: Scarlet83
Does it really matter when or why they are now interested in him though? They are a damn good program, that was recently in the final four, has never lost less than 20 under the coach, and have a couple 30 win years.
I mean, it probably does in terms of NIL demand. He was never not going to get picked up by a major conference team. I doubt he’s getting a check that looks like Cliff’s though.

I mean, it probably does in terms of NIL demand. He was never not going to get picked up by a major conference team. I doubt he’s getting a check that looks like Cliff’s though.
Yeah, I don't care about, or think about, NIL, so that's possible. I'd rather end up at a major basketball school than worry about major conference.

Yeah, I don't care about, or think about, NIL, so that's possible. I'd rather end up at a major basketball school than worry about major conference.

Me too, but I think the folks who said Mag misplayed his card were referring mostly to his NIL earning potential. My guess at this point (though I could be wrong) is that he probably stands to collect more at weaker schools at this point because they probably need him more than the major conference schools looking to fill out their rosters.

Didn’t say anything about status of program. For all intents and purposes this is the first documented case of a program having interest. And the point was SDSU only showed interest because they got Spencered and Mulcahy’d with a key player leaving the day before the portal deadline. Otherwise their roster was full and they would have had no interest in Mag. Even though sdsu took multiple transfers. So how is that an odd take to say the least?
Dude you posted about it again after the post with the team interested which is the post I directly replied to.... it is above again for reference... again this post is AFTER the team interested post

Stop the post you came at me for was posted at 6:15 am yesterday. And none of those teams were mentioned as landing spots until yesterday in that tweet. And again SDSU had no interest in Mag until they got Spencered. I wish mag well.

Both Cliff and cam were coaxed into the portal with garunteed landing spots and a payday.

Come on man! Try better.

It doesn’t. I think SDSU would be a great spot for him to land. But I do find it interesting the timing and that they didn’t get involved until late in the game when Mag has been in the portal for an eternity.
how late are we getting involved with Hayes (in portal for an eternity) and now Vinson? if it smells in Mag's case, it smells for Hayes too.

Reactions: seneca ave
how late are we getting involved with Hayes (in portal for an eternity) and now Vinson? if it smells in Mag's case, it smells for Hayes too.
Yup it’s actually exactly the same. If we’re filling these positions with Mag caliber (in his role as a 4) shooters / BIGs I’ll be thrilled. But no - none of these guys left on the table right now are bidding war types in my opinion. We probably dont have the money for that anyway

Yup it’s actually exactly the same. If we’re filling these positions with Mag caliber (in his role as a 4) shooters / BIGs I’ll be thrilled. But no - none of these guys left on the table right now are bidding war types in my opinion. We probably dont have the money for that anyway
i know it's the same, which I why I mention it. Shelby gets under everyone's skin mainly because he doesn't have the homer bias most others do. The mental gymnastics people do to put RU and its players above others is beyond lame.

i know it's the same, which I why I mention it. Shelby gets under everyone's skin mainly because he doesn't have the homer bias most others do. The mental gymnastics people do to put RU and its players above others is beyond lame.
I’m still missing your point? Nobody is trying to say that the guys we are after right now command high ticket NIL contracts. The point is Mag may have at one point thought that he was worthy of that. Perhaps last year he was but now with the injuries too many question marks.

Reactions: Scarlet83
Hayes only entered 5/1. Vinson in the past few days. Mag in March.
I might be slightly off but not by much.

Dude you posted about it again after the post with the team interested which is the post I directly replied to.... it is above again for reference... again this post is AFTER the team interested post
Dude! If I was responding to that post I would have acknowledged. I was responding to you about my post which was 12 hours before that news.So what I said was correct. It wasn’t documented.
I don’t know why you had such an issue with my original post! I will stand by his handlers overplayed their hand. He sat in the portal for 7 or so weeks before there was any movement. That is a fact.

Last edited:
Dude! If I was responding to that post I would have acknowledged. I was responding to you about my post which was 12 hours before that news.So what I said was correct. It wasn’t documented.
I don’t know why you had such an issue with my original post! I will stand by his handlers overplayed their hand. He sat in the portal for 7 or so weeks before there was any movement. That is a fact.
You have reading comprehension issues

You have reading comprehension issues
No I’m pretty sure you do. How can I refer to a tweet that wasn’t written yet. And I addressed the person that came at me. Not the person that posted the additional information. You debate like my 11 year old daughter. She adds information to an argument 2 days after the debate is over.

I don’t think he was ever trying to say that Mag was in high demand in terms of NIL. The cliff notes of the original point seem to be - 1) Mag was always going to land somewhere / have decent options when the dust settled in terms of getting a D1 scholarship on a decent team. (Hard to argue this - there was never a question of him not getting offers to fill a roster). 2) nobody really knows what Mag or his handlers assessed his NIL value to be when he chose not to play out the season. It doesn’t even make sense that anyone would think he was worth a ton after not having a great season following injury. If anything, playing more and better late in the season would’ve helped his stock if he was fully healthy. Scangg - am I missing anything?

I don’t think he was ever trying to say that Mag was in high demand in terms of NIL. The cliff notes of the original point seem to be - 1) Mag was always going to land somewhere / have decent options when the dust settled in terms of getting a D1 scholarship on a decent team. (Hard to argue this - there was never a question of him not getting offers to fill a roster). 2) nobody really knows what Mag or his handlers assessed his NIL value to be when he chose not to play out the season. It doesn’t even make sense that anyone would think he was worth a ton after not having a great season following injury. If anything, playing more and better late in the season would’ve helped his stock if he was fully healthy. Scangg - am I missing anything?
And I don’t disagree with much of this. He will be on a good team. The move and the reason to enter the portal has always been about getting more NIL with the Mag camp. But if there were many options early he wouldn’t have been in the portal for 7 weeks. SDSu took 3 portal transfers earlier. That is all o said. Not sure why he came at me.

Me too, but I think the folks who said Mag misplayed his card were referring mostly to his NIL earning potential. My guess at this point (though I could be wrong) is that he probably stands to collect more at weaker schools at this point because they probably need him more than the major conference schools looking to fill out their rosters.
I think he would have made more at RU if he had played tough the full season.

I think he would have made more at RU if he had played tough the full season.
I really have no idea what we pay any of our returning guys to retain them. I don’t think it’s true that he necessarily would’ve been more marketable though in the open market finishing out the year similar to how he had been playing this season. I think the interest would have been similar.

I really have no idea what we pay any of our returning guys to retain them. I don’t think it’s true that he necessarily would’ve been more marketable though in the open market finishing out the year similar to how he had been playing this season. I think the interest would have been similar.
I'm pretty sure he would have made more at RU had he stayed and fully committed than he's going to make now.

I'm pretty sure he would have made more at RU had he stayed and fully committed than he's going to make now.

Probably. For whatever reason though it seems like sticking around wasn’t really in the cards for him. Not every kid wants to go into their last season knowing they will play a complementary role to 2 frosh and that’s okay.

Probably. For whatever reason though it seems like sticking around wasn’t really in the cards for him. Not every kid wants to go into their last season knowing they will play a complementary role to 2 frosh and that’s okay.
He thought he could make more elsewhere. It was a gamble. It didn't pay off. Given his life story I give him a complete pass. Had he hit the jackpot it would have changed a lot of lives.

Very odd takes here and still seeing some fans defending Mag is truly bizarre to say the least.

No one is questioning whether Mag should or would generate interest....even Group of 5 players are getting interest from major programs.

What is disappointing to see from some RU fans are comments about how hard he played or competed, as if that's somehow going above and beyond what other players have done.

What fans keep missing or still not grasping is how this program stuck out it's neck for him and actually secured NIL for him, off an ACL AND didn't continue to recruit over him, after losing Baye Ndongo to Georgia Tech once former assistant coach Karl Hobbs landed there. And Mag could have played 8 to 12 minutes a game in November and perhaps 12 to 15 minutes in early December.

When the staff expected leadership, toughness and a boost, Mag didn't step up like others who were injured or less than 100% did for Pike and staff.....like Geo with a cracked thumb, Caleb with multiple injuries and a bad back.....Mulcahy with a bad or broken finger....RHJ with a bad ankle in the covid year.

It was as if Mag didn't see any of his former teammates sacrifice for the greater good of RU basketball.

Despite wayyyy too many posts by myself trying to slow down the hype train on Mag and his alleged importance, it's never going to sink in for some fans.

Good luck to Mag and I hope he does well wherever he goes. But we have a very good staff that developed and hides the obvious holes and gaps in players actual games.....I am 99.9% certain Mag will be exposed for his limitations elsewhere, just like the majority of RU portal departures. Those holes in his game explain a very, very limited amount of schools with interest (I think those 5 schools listed is probably closer to 2).

Very odd takes here and still seeing some fans defending Mag is truly bizarre to say the least.

No one is questioning whether Mag should or would generate interest....even Group of 5 players are getting interest from major programs.

What is disappointing to see from some RU fans are comments about how hard he played or competed, as if that's somehow going above and beyond what other players have done.

What fans keep missing or still not grasping is how this program stuck out it's neck for him and actually secured NIL for him, off an ACL AND didn't continue to recruit over him, after losing Baye Ndongo to Georgia Tech once former assistant coach Karl Hobbs landed there. And Mag could have played 8 to 12 minutes a game in November and perhaps 12 to 15 minutes in early December.

When the staff expected leadership, toughness and a boost, Mag didn't step up like others who were injured or less than 100% did for Pike and staff.....like Geo with a cracked thumb, Caleb with multiple injuries and a bad back.....Mulcahy with a bad or broken finger....RHJ with a bad ankle in the covid year.

It was as if Mag didn't see any of his former teammates sacrifice for the greater good of RU basketball.

Despite wayyyy too many posts by myself trying to slow down the hype train on Mag and his alleged importance, it's never going to sink in for some fans.

Good luck to Mag and I hope he does well wherever he goes. But we have a very good staff that developed and hides the obvious holes and gaps in players actual games.....I am 99.9% certain Mag will be exposed for his limitations elsewhere, just like the majority of RU portal departures. Those holes in his game explain a very, very limited amount of schools with interest (I think those 5 schools listed is probably closer to 2).
I was never on that hype train. Still wish he stayed. And you are right that anyone that feels he was disloyal is justified in feeling that way. I still give him a pass as a human. He got some bad advice.

Reactions: Smols
He thought he could make more elsewhere. It was a gamble. It didn't pay off. Given his life story I give him a complete pass. Had he hit the jackpot it would have changed a lot of lives.

Just curious. Why are you so sure he and/or his handlers thought he would get more money somewhere else and that was the primary motivation? I’m not saying it can’t be true, but it doesn’t make a lot of sense based on how his season was going at that point in time. It’s not like he was having this great year, then reinjured himself and decided to sit out the rest of the way as a precaution. It was an up and down season for him on all counts - it didn’t take a rocket scientist to know there would be questions surrounding his health based on his output.

If money was the end all focus and he was truly healthy - you’d think he would’ve been on the court trying to boost his stock late season. Thats why I don’t believe that was the main motivation. My unsubstantiated theory is he didn’t want to play his last year in the background behind the frosh hype. Maybe Gavin felt the same way after he got attention this year and didn’t pan out? Not every kid is going to want that. As a senior it probably isn’t so easy to be in that position.

Just curious. Why are you so sure he and/or his handlers thought he would get more money somewhere else and that was the primary motivation? I’m not saying it can’t be true, but it doesn’t make a lot of sense based on how his season was going at that point in time. It’s not like he was having this great year, then reinjured himself and decided to sit out the rest of the way as a precaution. It was an up and down season for him on all counts - it didn’t take a rocket scientist to know there would be questions surrounding his health based on his output.

If money was the end all focus and he was truly healthy - you’d think he would’ve been on the court trying to boost his stock late season. Thats why I don’t believe that was the main motivation. My unsubstantiated theory is he didn’t want to play his last year in the background behind the frosh hype. Maybe Gavin felt the same way after he got attention this year and didn’t pan out? Not every kid is going to want that. As a senior it probably isn’t so easy to be in that position.
That is the story I heard from a good source. Still could be wrong, but the person who said it would likely know.

That is the story I heard from a good source. Still could be wrong, but the person who said it would likely know.
I’m not questioning your source, and it also sounds consistent with what Richie reported in the podcast.

That said - put yourself in Mag’s position for a minute and assume that, money aside, the idea of playing in the background of the Ace / Dylan frosh show wasn’t what you wanted for your final year of college. That’s probably not something your going to admit publicly or want your handlers broadcasting if you even share it with them.

Of course - we have no idea. Maybe that wasn’t an issue for Mag at all - I’m just saying that if that was a deterrent, it likely wouldn’t come out and would’ve been framed the same way - just part of the NIL musical chairs. Point being - I think the word leaked it the public was going to be about money regardless of whether it was truly the main motivator. Thats all.

Which story? The one we all have been led to believe or the theory from PSAL Hoops?

Eagle is not talking about my “theory” coming from a source. The point I was trying to make is Mag understandably would have way to much pride to come out and say what I suggested is the reason he wanted to move on from RU.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
That's where the bad advice comes in.

Perhaps… but again, it doesn’t make sense. His handlers would’ve been putting out feelers and had an idea of his marketability. The incentive just wouldn’t be there. This isn’t a Jaden Jones like situation where a dad is living in a bubble and buying in on some dude whose out there looking to secure a slice of some long shot pay off (pipe dream story - I’ll get you to the G-league, etc) In the NIL era - whiffing badly as a handler is going to leave you unemployed. It doesn’t add up.

The word on the street - I.e. that Mag decided to sit out the end of the season to preserve his body for NIL in the transfer portal - could be true, even if he alreaady decided that he wanted to move on from RU after the season for unrelated reasons. Perhaps he regretted his decision to return when he saw how bad we were. Our guards didn’t exactly create an optimal setting for forwards or centers to be successful individual performers. When he agreed to return, for all we know he never planned to be around for Dylan / Ace. We have no way of knowing that. I’m just saying these kids talk and there would’ve been enough information available to Mag for him to have a pretty good idea of what he could get in the open market.

Perhaps… but again, it doesn’t make sense. His handlers would’ve been putting out feelers and had an idea of his marketability. The incentive just wouldn’t be there. This isn’t a Jaden Jones like situation where a dad is living in a bubble and buying in on some dude whose out there looking to secure a slice of some long shot pay off (pipe dream story - I’ll get you to the G-league, etc) In the NIL era - whiffing badly as a handler is going to leave you unemployed. It doesn’t add up.

The word on the street - I.e. that Mag decided to sit out the end of the season to preserve his body for NIL in the transfer portal - could be true, even if he alreaady decided that he wanted to move on from RU after the season for unrelated reasons. Perhaps he regretted his decision to return when he saw how bad we were. Our guards didn’t exactly create an optimal setting for forwards or centers to be successful individual performers. When he agreed to return, for all we know he never planned to be around for Dylan / Ace. We have no way of knowing that. I’m just saying these kids talk and there would’ve been enough information available to Mag for him to have a pretty good idea of what he could get in the open market.
I don't think the NIL market is as clear and predictable as you think. It's a new market with a lot of imperfect information and valuations changing rapidly. Paul reportedly got half of what he was promised at Washington. This year prices for centers were double what teams were anticipating. And the Athletic article specifically mentions false promises from teams, wild rumors, etc. Unscrupulous actors try to lure kids into the portal with vague shit because once they are in, the bridge is generally burnt. They are under no obligation to follow through.

I don't know who Mag's brain trust is. But there is plenty of room for bad decisions to be made in the current environment.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT