ADVERTISEMENT

Eddie George--"Rutgers Can Compete on National Level"

HeavenUniv.

Hall of Famer
Sep 21, 2004
Per Ryan Dunleavy--Eddie George made comments recently on his visit to Union City High School.

Reactions: DirtyRU
Nice article. Eddie was such a great player and I always loved to watch him play big time football at Ohio State. Could never have thought back in those days that we would be in a Conference with OSU and Michigan. Dreams do come true.

Reactions: lighty
Nice article. Eddie was such a great player and I always loved to watch him play big time football at Ohio State. Could never have thought back in those days that we would be in a Conference with OSU and Michigan. Dreams do come true.
+1. I'm still on Cloud 9. It's only a matter of time. New Ad and HC seem to have us headed in the right direction. Increased B1G revenue, leading to better facilities, will be a big help.

We've all known this and most of us are stunned it never seemed to happen.

He HAVE flirted with success..I will never forget beating USF when they were #2(I think)
all of Central Fla had Rutgers on their minds

But the more people that AGREE with our progress,,,the better !!!!!!

People do quickly forget how close we've been on several occasions. Blown calls by BE refs cost us BCS games in 2006 and 2012. And in 2008 we were one score away against Cincy from the Orange Bowl.

Interesting to hear George's comments, given that he did not play for his state's university. He expects NJ athletes to not do what he did? Actions speak louder than words. Most NJ fans would be happy if Rutgers reached the status of Iowa and Wisconsin ... stable well-coached programs, that recruit beyond state borders, that are occasionally significant on a national level and that are capable of upsets against high profile/traditional programs.

People do quickly forget how close we've been on several occasions. Blown calls by BE refs cost us BCS games in 2006 and 2012. And in 2008 we were one score away against Cincy from the Orange Bowl.

We were close in 2006 and 2012 because it came down to the last game. I'm not looking to a game in Oct like in 2008. The 2008 team wasn't very good.

What does Eddie George know about competing. . . He's one of the most performance enhanced athletes ever. . . in fact those Buckeyes were built by BALCO.

especially George, David Boston, Joey Galloway.

and yes, I know this for a fact.

it was ridiculous.

DJ Eddie!

He is a good dude. I am not surprised to see he believes in RU.

Interesting to hear George's comments, given that he did not play for his state's university. He expects NJ athletes to not do what he did? Actions speak louder than words. Most NJ fans would be happy if Rutgers reached the status of Iowa and Wisconsin ... stable well-coached programs, that recruit beyond state borders, that are occasionally significant on a national level and that are capable of upsets against high profile/traditional programs.
Hayden Fry's Iowa first then Barry Alverez's Wisky next.

I could live with that.

What does Eddie George know about competing. . . He's one of the most performance enhanced athletes ever. . . in fact those Buckeyes were built by BALCO.

especially George, David Boston, Joey Galloway.

and yes, I know this for a fact.

it was ridiculous.

LOL dude it's major college football. I'm quite confident that George, Boston and Galloway are not alone.

Not the worst thing in the world to have a Heisman Trophy winner from a top 5 all time program endorse us!

Don't you think Eddie George is saying that if Rutgers were in the Big Ten when he were coming out that he might have gone here?

That's thing big HOLE in our sports history.. that for many decades, Rutgers did not seek to compete at the highest levels. Its not like we tried and failed for nearly 150 years. We began TRYING around the mid 70s.

And its not like we went ALL-IN as some new "brand" to come to the scene. We had third rate facilities and budget and no history of big time sports. We had a shot in basketball.. but holding out for an all-sports conference and not joining the Big East as a founder destroyed that basketball "stain" we had at that time.

So guys like Eddie George.. they were looking elsewhere. And for that matter.. did anyone ever know someone who chose Rutgers because they wanted to follow its sports? How many students choose Penn State or Ohio State or Michigan because they want to attend games (and, btw, can also get a decent degree)? We didn't even get those guys.. never mind the top athletes.

We have a huge deficit to make up at Rutgers. We need the alums who will become lifelong fans and donate. We need the guys who will choose Rutgers and then go into teaching and coaching. And we need the players.. the star recruits who are happy playing for New Jersey in the Big Ten.

It will happen.. but it will take time.

Eddie George sees it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT