ADVERTISEMENT

Elam Ending

old.jpg

[roll]
I think that's the shift he's yelling at. The rest of us are perfectly happy the way things are.

Reactions: Vlife and RUChoppin
Maybe hit em where they ain’t. Problem solved. Managers are absolute cowards for not demanding hitters take a cheap single by taking advantage of a shift. Mark Teixeira went from a possible Hall Of Famer to a lousy hitter for average by stubbornly refusing to keep infielders honest and punching the ball to the open field every once in a while. If this was football those offensive coordinators would be exploiting this defensive weakness all day but baseball managers won’t do it.

Count me in as one who thinks you should put the defense anywhere you want.

Years ago there was a pitcher who threw some high arc pitches that were later banned.

I think
That should be allowed also, if the guy could put it over, more power to him, go right ahead.

They basically had to invent a new baseball rule for that , same as they would have to for the shift

Reactions: RUChoppin
Agree - there shouldn't be any rule for where defenders can line up other than the pitcher. Defense should be able to adapt to player tendencies and try to force players to attempt to hit against their strengths - or to try to force double hitters into single hitters, or line drive hitters into ground ball hitters.

The batters who still succeed will thrive, those who struggle will get sent down. It will all sort itself out.

Metrics have definitely changed the feel of the game, though, and I don't see that changing.

Agree - there shouldn't be any rule for where defenders can line up other than the pitcher. Defense should be able to adapt to player tendencies and try to force players to attempt to hit against their strengths - or to try to force double hitters into single hitters, or line drive hitters into ground ball hitters.

The batters who still succeed will thrive, those who struggle will get sent down. It will all sort itself out.

Metrics have definitely changed the feel of the game, though, and I don't see that changing.
If I'm the umpire, I'd like the catcher's position to be fixed as well!

Reactions: RUChoppin
I believe there is a rule that only the catcher can start in foul territory. I remember it being discussed a long time ago in the context of holding the runner on at 1st.

I don't see a need to outlaw the shift. Back to the topic of this thread, I don't think I would like the Elam ending. No chance of OT or buzzer beaters, mainly because someone doesn't like the foul line parade that sometimes occurs? This might only start the parade at the five minute mark to try to cut the gap before the four minute clock. It would take a little time, but coaches would find ways to exploit the new rules in a way to find an advantage. If anything changes, I could see letting the offense decide if they want shots or the ball out of bounds. That gives the defense another chance to steal the ball on the inbounds so it is not a zero risk option for the offense.

Does this guy want to outlaw taking a knee in football to run out the game, too?

Dave Laroche, "La Lob" is probably who you are talking about as he was a yankee. although other guys used it too. but its not banned, as Kershaw used it a couple years ago

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/04/los-angeles-dodgers-clayton-kershaw-eephus-whoa-ok-nice-mlb

Count me in as one who thinks you should put the defense anywhere you want.

Years ago there was a pitcher who threw some high arc pitches that were later banned.

I think
That should be allowed also, if the guy could put it over, more power to him, go right ahead.

They basically had to invent a new baseball rule for that , same as they would have to for the shift

"Maybe I’m old fashioned".... nawwww.... lol

Btw, the three point shot is going to ruin the game, I tells ya!

Seriously though, I'm not a supporter of wholesale change for change's sake. For the sake of a mini tournament, though? Definitely draws my interest.

It's funny... I love the three! But this is too big a change!!

ADVERTISEMENT