ADVERTISEMENT

Football Elorm Lumor is back with Rutgers Football

Elorm Lumor, who was the Scarlet Knights' best pass rusher the last two seasons before declaring for the NFL draft, has returned to the program. He was a surprise inclusion when Rutgers released its updated team roster on Monday with less than two weeks until its season opener at Michigan State on Oct. 24.

Schiano will find a way to make us competitive sooner than later. On paper the D is better .If only we can find an offensive line, TE, WR ‘s and a QB to score more than 25 points per game.

If RU averages 25 ppg, I'll be ecstatic.
For us to have a fighters chance we need to be in the mid 20's range each week. Now is that an attainable goal for Rutgers? What we have seen so far in other conferences is defense is none existent. Perhaps more than the past.

This is why we need a Tywone Malone type to automatically shore up front. add him and we become real legit upfront next year... by that time some of the young guys have a full year plus with Butler in the weight room...Losing VanDer Mark hurts.

Was never a big fan, but adding an upperclassman with experience can only help.
Based upon how the team performed under Ash Elorm Lumor played at a very steady level for RU. Lumor and Tverdov together were not bad at all. I believe many Rutgers fans see Lumor as a productive player who under Schiano will continue to get better. Crazy to think he could be At the next level if everything went according to plan.

I didn't read the article but for anyone who did (or, anyone familiar with the situation), was there a specific reason he decided to return? It's not too often that you hear of players doing this.

Greg will find ways to free him up on the pass rush. Kid could have 10 sacks this year.

For us to have a fighters chance we need to be in the mid 20's range each week. Now is that an attainable goal for Rutgers? What we have seen so far in other conferences is defense is none existent. Perhaps more than the past.
It certainly is. Just need a bunch of pick 6s. 😎

I didn't read the article but for anyone who did (or, anyone familiar with the situation), was there a specific reason he decided to return? It's not too often that you hear of players doing this.
He wasn't drafted or signed, so after another player from a different program got a waiver to return in June, he applied and was granted a waiver to return to play his final year of eligibility. I guess since this year is a free pass, he's got 2 years left if he wants them.

ON ELORM LUMOR RETURNING TO THE ROSTER...

That’s an interesting turn of events, right? I think part of it has to do with the COVID situation. So if you look at Lumor’s opportunities, it's unfortunate. The Friday we were going on spring break that was supposed to be our pro day. Well that got cancelled because of the COVID. Then a lot of the workout opportunities were canceled as a result. So when the draft came and went, and nothing happened for him, he and I spoke again and he had an interest in returning. Now he and I spoke way back when I first took the job and he had some very valid thoughts about why he should go to the NFL, which I didn't argue with him I agreed. So when it didn't work out, I was more than happy to try to see if we could do something. You know Matt Pottorff, who handles compliance here at Rutgers and is in charge of it all, he’s Associate AD is a very, very bright guy and very wired with NCAA. He thought that maybe this would be an opportunity for him to return and then we were going to wait and see because he wasn't sure what he wanted to do.

However in the interim, the punter it from where the heck was it? Arizona State actually got a waiver from the NCAA. He did the same thing, he had declared for the draft and the whole deal. So we followed up and did our own waiver once Elorm felt that that's definitely what he wanted to do and I'm really pleased that he's here. He's a good really good football player that works very hard, so it's exciting for us to get him back. The crazy thing with this year being what it is, I'm not saying this will or could happen, but this year doesn't count towards your eligibility clock so he can actually come back in 21, if you chose to. So to say this year is weird is an understatement, but I think the more flexible you are, the more you're ready to pivot on a dime, depending on the day, the better you're going to do and the less it will make you crazy. So I've tried to do that as much as I can, because nothing surprises me. I can tell you right now, this has been a heck of a year so far.

He wasn't drafted or signed, so after another player from a different program got a waiver to return in June, he applied and was granted a waiver to return to play his final year of eligibility. I guess since this year is a free pass, he's got 2 years left if he wants them.

Thank you very much cz.

Lumor was one of the few bright spots the last couple of seasons. I hope Schiano helps him realize his potential.

Reactions: czxqa
ON ELORM LUMOR RETURNING TO THE ROSTER...

That’s an interesting turn of events, right? I think part of it has to do with the COVID situation. So if you look at Lumor’s opportunities, it's unfortunate. The Friday we were going on spring break that was supposed to be our pro day. Well that got cancelled because of the COVID. Then a lot of the workout opportunities were canceled as a result. So when the draft came and went, and nothing happened for him, he and I spoke again and he had an interest in returning. Now he and I spoke way back when I first took the job and he had some very valid thoughts about why he should go to the NFL, which I didn't argue with him I agreed. So when it didn't work out, I was more than happy to try to see if we could do something. You know Matt Pottorff, who handles compliance here at Rutgers and is in charge of it all, he’s Associate AD is a very, very bright guy and very wired with NCAA. He thought that maybe this would be an opportunity for him to return and then we were going to wait and see because he wasn't sure what he wanted to do.

However in the interim, the punter it from where the heck was it? Arizona State actually got a waiver from the NCAA. He did the same thing, he had declared for the draft and the whole deal. So we followed up and did our own waiver once Elorm felt that that's definitely what he wanted to do and I'm really pleased that he's here. He's a good really good football player that works very hard, so it's exciting for us to get him back. The crazy thing with this year being what it is, I'm not saying this will or could happen, but this year doesn't count towards your eligibility clock so he can actually come back in 21, if you chose to. So to say this year is weird is an understatement, but I think the more flexible you are, the more you're ready to pivot on a dime, depending on the day, the better you're going to do and the less it will make you crazy. So I've tried to do that as much as I can, because nothing surprises me. I can tell you right now, this has been a heck of a year so far.

It would behoove to spend 2 years with Greg...he could be a great one his final year....based on Greg's past defenses

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT