ADVERTISEMENT

Faculty into the NAS

This is great, but the announcement was 3 weeks ago. Rutgers should have had a press release out the very same day. It's a big deal, and a major gauge of prestige. Rutgers is still pretty shit at communicating its strengths and achievements, and it has been for far too long.

I was dissapointted they did not mention something like "they join the XX others Rutgers faculty that are NAS members".
Last I looked our numbers here are better than many that the mildly informed (people that put a lot of stock in USN&WR rankings) would consider comparable institutions to us.

Last edited:
Interesting that Rutgers-NB was asterisked, among others, as being a university without a medical school when it has now been 5+ years since the integration of RWJMS. Instead it probably could have been mentioned along with UT-Austin and UIUC in the lead-in as newly having a medical school.

If I read this right, the asterisks were supplied by Professor Leiter. He must not be completely informed. He generally says nice things about Rutgers, perhaps because he once had a job offer at the Camden Law School when he was a young professor. He may have been trying to make us look good ("all these members without a medical school.") I will try to write him and correct him.

I had an e-mail exchange with Brian Leiter, who is a professor of law and philosophy at the University of Chicago. He says he thought the medical school was associated with the Newark campus, not New Brunswick, and I set him straight.

Reactions: RUnTeX and Vlife
Sounds good... I guess he was surprised to learn that there's a separate medical school associated with each campus.

Is the Newark medical school separate? I thought it was just part of the school at NB. As for Camden, UMDNJ now has , I think, all of what used to be associated with Rutgers (the osteopathic school in Stratford).

Is the Newark medical school separate? I thought it was just part of the school at NB.

Technically they've always been separate, even when they existed under the former CMDNJ/UMDNJ banner, and now under the Rutgers/RBHS banner. When the Newark medical school was established it was originally affiliated with Seton Hall Univ. (Seton Hall College of Medicine, IIRC) while the Piscataway medical school, of course, was Rutgers Medical School and has existed on Rutgers' Busch campus from the beginning. They were then brought under the umbrella of CMDNJ when it was created in the 70s.

The two schools have always been and continue to be ranked separately, although often around the same or within a couple spots of each other in med school rankings. I don't believe they share medical faculty or whether there are any faculty appointments co-listed at both schools, but perhaps. So it's not like the current "RBS-Newark and NB" setup of the business school particularly for its graduate business programs. I suppose they're more like what the two law schools used to be, but no longer technically are with the quasi-consolidation into one entity but with two locations. From what I can tell, the Newark-based medical school (NJMS, now officially RNJMS) was never part of or subordinate to the Piscataway-based medical school (RWJMS, now RRWJMS), or vice versa.

As a multi-campus health sciences university (up until it was officially dissolved in 2013 I believe it was the largest of its kind in the country, in terms of enrollment), UMDNJ had three medical schools (2 allopathic "M.D.", 1 osteopathic "D.O.") as well as a few other schools/academic units spread between Newark, Piscataway, and Stratford. Several health/medical related research institutes based in Piscataway that were jointly Rutgers-UMDNJ administered and other graduate degree-granting schools/programs solely part of UMDNJ (in both Newark and Piscataway) are now all housed under Rutgers and its RBHS umbrella.

As for Camden, Rutgers now has nothing, I think, from all of what used to be associated with UMDNJ (not even the osteopathic school in Stratford).

FIFY in bold (flipped UMDNJ and Rutgers)...as UMDNJ exists no more, and since the School of Osteopathic Medicine in Stratford was transferred to Rowan Univ. in the restructuring. At Rutgers-Camden, as far as medical/health sciences, I know of only the nursing program which has been there (and getting a brand new facility) as well as the B.A./D.O. 7-yr accelerated medical program in conjunction with the aforementioned Rowan SOM at Stratford. As a comparison, a BA/MD program in NB has existed for many years, going back to when it was in conjunction with RWJMS under UMDNJ. I know a few folks who completed that program in the 90s. I imagine it continues to this day, now with both parts of the program fully under Rutgers.

Apologies for the extremely long response.

Last edited:
I had an e-mail exchange with Brian Leiter, who is a professor of law and philosophy at the University of Chicago. He says he thought the medical school was associated with the Newark campus, not New Brunswick, and I set him straight.
Good work, Thank you

Reactions: retired711
Thanks for the link.
B1G compadres look like...
14 Sconnie
19 Meechigan
20 Illini
22 NW
25 RU
33 Minny
36 Nits
40 Buckeyes
40 MSU
Also getting votes Hoosiers, Purdue

Also nice to point out the among schools ranked "Top 50" by USNWR beauty contest that don't have a single NAS member on faculty are our friends under the Golden Dome.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT