ADVERTISEMENT

Farewell, Caleb-helped Rutgers Become a Consistent Winner

Knight Shift

Legend
May 19, 2011
Jersey Shore
Good story, yeah, it's Carino:

“I am so glad he stayed,” McConnell’s mother, Stefanie Meade, said. “He’ll always be able to say he went to one college, that this was his school. That means something.”

“Where I come from, there are not too many kids who even get to go to college,” McConnell said. “My freshman year didn’t start off as good as I wanted it to be, but I learned how to fight and I learned how to overcome things.”

“I feel like kids, they don’t want to stay and fight, they don’t want to grow, they don’t want to go through the fire,’ he said. “The benefit of staying at a university like this is you get to stamp your name, you get to leave your own legacy.”

Loyalty is a life skill that these guys have honed over the past four or five years.

“It’s cliché, but we’re watering our own grass and I think that will help us down the line in our marriages, it will help us raise our kids,” Mulcahy said. “That’s part of life. Basketball and life are similar – staying the course is huge.”

And some perspective on the last 4 years:

"Over the last four seasons, only four teams have won at least ten Big Ten regular season games.

Michigan, Illinois, Iowa, AND Rutgers."

"McConnell is not the perfect player. Far from it. His offensive struggles at times can challenge the patience of most fans. But his dedication, his toughness, his defensive prowess make him an all-time Rutgers player."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT