ADVERTISEMENT

Next season is the most important season in Rutgers athletics history

ouchmyknee

All Conference
Gold Member
Nov 10, 2006
Hoboken, NJ
So now that we can finally add Dylan to our projected lineup next year, we squarely find ourselves at the crossroads of what will be the most important season ever. And not just because we’ll most likely start the season ranked and should be a lock for the tourney.

The reason it’s so important is that Pike has an opportunity to show he can effectively manage and develop 5 star players into 1-and-dones.

Once Pike and company can show they can put these kids into the league as top 5 picks, the sky is the limit and I’d expect to see 5 stars every season. It would truly be a new era of Rutgers basketball and I can easily see Rutgers becoming NYC’a team with games at MSG and Barclays regularly.

Also, for as much as we’re seeing a commitment, don’t be surprised to see a nice relationship form with ROC Nation.

A huge part of next year is Pike getting this team on TV and on the road. Need an MSG tourney, either Empire or Jimmy V (Uconn is in both this year, 4 games at MSG to our 0 .. infuriating) … but also, don’t be afraid to take them to Vegas, Atlantis, heck let’s get into the Maui Invitational .. next year’s the year

So now that we can finally add Dylan to our projected lineup next year, we squarely find ourselves at the crossroads of what will be the most important season ever. And not just because we’ll most likely start the season ranked and should be a lock for the tourney.

The reason it’s so important is that Pike has an opportunity to show he can effectively manage and develop 5 star players into 1-and-dones.

Once Pike and company can show they can put these kids into the league as top 5 picks, the sky is the limit and I’d expect to see 5 stars every season. It would truly be a new era of Rutgers basketball and I can easily see Rutgers becoming NYC’a team with games at MSG and Barclays regularly.

Also, for as much as we’re seeing a commitment, don’t be surprised to see a nice relationship form with ROC Nation.
Absolutely fantastic post until you said "Barclays."

Reactions: S_Janowski

True. And actually running a quality offense to show off these kids. It's one thing to be a very good defensive coach, but his understanding of the offensive side is frankly, offensive. And I say this with love for the guy.

have people not seen top 10 players underperform at the top programs.

Just plugging these guys in the roster doesnt immediately make us top 10 given we need to have a solid experienced based around them. Its likely we will start an incredibly young team with a coach known for taking some times for his teams to hit their best strides

RU better hope Jeremiah Williams sitting out this year is able to play and play well, don’t care how talented the frosh are, experienced guard play is the most critical piece to a winning team. Also will really need a quality portal transfer older 5 man to play defense rebound and do the dirty work. Maybe Cliff can fill this role after a Unsatisfied senior year, joking.

Reactions: RU MAN and Scangg
have people not seen top 10 players underperform at the top programs.

Just plugging these guys in the roster doesnt immediately make us top 10 given we need to have a solid experienced based around them. Its likely we will start an incredibly young team with a coach known for taking some times for his teams to hit their best strides
Gavin is a huge recruit. No one would have predicted this. Going from AAU to playing for Pike is a HUGE adjustment.

RU better hope Jeremiah Williams sitting out this year is able to play and play well, don’t care how talented the frosh are, experienced guard play is the most critical piece to a winning team. Also will really need a quality portal transfer older 5 man to play defense rebound and do the dirty work. Maybe Cliff can fill this role after a Unsatisfied senior year, joking.
Ogbole may be able to do this. He definitely has the size to play D and rebound. Wolf's rebounding has been surprisingly disappointing especially given his football background. I was expecting to see more battling and fight from him inside. He's also a below the rim player who doesn't protect the rim

Reactions: BossNJ
Ogbole may be able to do this. He definitely has the size to play D and rebound. Wolf's rebounding has been surprisingly disappointing especially given his football background. I was expecting to see more battling and fight from him inside. He's also a below the rim player who doesn't protect the rim

Yeah, they make a big deal about him being a football player but I see no “grind” to his game. He shows flashes, but is generally aloof.

Yeah, they make a big deal about him being a football player but I see no “grind” to his game. He shows flashes, but is generally aloof.
He's shown more in the skill department of passing and dribbling than expected. Less in terms of defense and rebounding. It's a bit strange. It might have something to do with his constant fouling and trying to avoid foul trouble. Wolf needs to figure out how to play physical without fouling

Besides not signing the horrendous Princeton game deal...a top recruit like Gavin needed to be given keys on day 1 not giving them to Hyatt nor midget guards
This is a problem. Gavin confidence issues might not have been a thing. He seems unsure about his role. It's like he wants to create and score but at the same time in the back of his head he's wondering if he should or if it will get him yanked

Reactions: RU MAN
We should absolutely be able to land some solid transfers with this group. The chance to play with this much talent is going to be appealing.

This is a problem. Gavin confidence issues might not have been a thing. He seems unsure about his role. It's like he wants to create and score but at the same time in the back of his head he's wondering if he should or if it will get him yanked
That goes back to Bacs point…this is on coaching from day 1 and giving him the keys to the team.

I see it also and players like Hyatt should have been reigned back. We have guards who play terribly yet given full range to do what they want. That needs to change and Gavin should be the man

Reactions: RU MAN
I’ll be that guy - while I love him, next year is a referendum on Pike. We didn’t make it last year and it seems very unlikely we will this year. Change must happen next year with Ace and DH.

We should absolutely be able to land some solid transfers with this group. The chance to play with this much talent is going to be appealing.

I'm not sure how much availability we'll have for transfer on top of the 5 new freshman.

Hyatt, Fernandes and A. Williams are gone.

2 addiontal players will need to leave just to make room for the freshman (Clif? Mag? Oskar?)

Then you are pushing out Chol, Ogbole, Simpson for transfers?

I'm not sure how much availability we'll have for transfer on top of the 5 new freshman.

2 addiontal players will need to leave just to make room for the freshman (Clif? Mag? Oskar?)

Cliff, Oskar and Mag will all be gone. I also don’t see a role on this team for Simpson year. Pike must go get men in the portal. We don’t need scoring — give me tough, older guys who want to play defense and rebound.

Reactions: cm_13

Those last 3 could definitely be candidates to move. If Derek continues on his current level of play...how much playing time will he see next year. Pike needs to recruit that Mag position. We are screaming for a quality portal guy

Reactions: cm_13
Those last 3 could definitely be candidates to move. If Derek continues on his current level of play...how much playing time will he see next year. Pike needs to recruit that Mag position. We are screaming for a quality portal guy
Mag has another year of eligibility even if he plays this year. Why are you guys so convinced he's not coming back to play with Dylan and Ace?

Mag has another year of eligibility even if he plays this year. Why are you guys so convinced he's not coming back to play with Dylan and Ace?

Still not playing yet and something about the offseason money grab rubs me the wrong way...will there be another bidding war next year while we wait and it hamstrings recruiting

Reactions: LeapinLou
Bottom line - I'm thrilled about having Dylan and Ace in the program. I really won't be that upset if this season is a colossal disaster. I get that some of you feel cautious about next season because the team will be so young. But these aren't 4 star guys that have to grow into a role. These are the best players in the country.

Turn those frowns upside down. There are 330 programs that would love to have our recruiting class and only 2 that are close. These are happy days!

Bottom line - I'm thrilled about having Dylan and Ace in the program. I really won't be that upset if this season is a colossal disaster. I get that some of you feel cautious about next season because the team will be so young. But these aren't 4 star guys that have to grow into a role. These are the best players in the country.

Turn those frowns upside down. There are 330 programs that would love to have our recruiting class and only 2 that are close. These are happy days!

I know i know

But even Calipari struggled with dream teams. This is Pikes first stop at the rodeo with this situation. Team will be ranked to start the year. Expectations and pressure to produce immediately with I assume a tougher non conference schedule

I know i know

But even Calipari struggled with dream teams. This is Pikes first stop at the rodeo with this situation. Team will be ranked to start the year. Expectations and pressure to produce immediately with I assume a tougher non conference schedule

Look back 3 years and there are many posts on here "We don't need 5 stars or One-And-Done players. We are better without them. Freshman based teams flame out in the tournament. Look at Kentucky and Duke and their struggles against veteran older teams."

This past offseason people were calling HC Scheyer (Duke) and HC Howard (Michigan) failures because they had 2-3 1st round picks and they didn't win anything in the NCAA Tournament.

Look back 3 years and there are many posts on here "We don't need 5 stars or One-And-Done players. We are better without them. Freshman based teams flame out in the tournament. Look at Kentucky and Duke and their struggles against veteran older teams."

This past offseason people were calling HC Scheyer (Duke) and HC Howard (Michigan) failures because they had 2-3 1st round picks and they didn't win anything in the NCAA Tournament.
Fair enough. But instead of thinking about that, enjoy the fact that Rutgers has just pulled off the impossible for a program of our stature. It's a day to celebrate.

Fair enough. But instead of thinking about that, enjoy the fact that Rutgers has just pulled off the impossible for a program of our stature. It's a day to celebrate.

Oh I've always been Team Talent
Give me one and dones every year.

I'll trust the staff to figure it out.
Rather they have to figure it out with talent vs. without talent.

Reactions: LeapinLou
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT