ADVERTISEMENT

Positives from the season

Degaz-RU

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Dec 19, 2002
There weren't many positives, but there are a few we can point to as helpful to next year:

1. Jeremiah Williams - he's a leader, he's a ballhandler and distributor, and he can get a bucket when needed. He will be a perfect complement to Ace and Dylan.

2. Gavin Griffiths -- yes, he was lost on both offense and defense for most of the year, but he absolutely showed improvement over the final 1/3rd of the season, as you would hope a freshman would. He showed glimpses of actually becoming a "plus" defender with his length and quickness -- he was third on the team in blocked shots with 13, in just 17.8 mpg, and he was right behind Hyatt who had 15 blocks -- and his offensive decisions and shooting were much better, especially in the final 7 games where he shot 13-35 from 3-point range (37%). There is hope that he can be a consistent 9-10 ppg scorer next year while shooting 35% or better from deep.

3. JaMichael Davis -- not much was expected of the man they call JMike. Most thought that he was brought in solely because of his connection to Ace, and that he would only see garbage time minutes like a replacement for Jalen Miller. But he ended up being a plus defender (way better than Miller IMO), had a decent mid-range game (41% on twos), and he was often a stabilizing force at PG with a solid assist-to-TO ratio (58-39). No doubt, he also had serious flaws to his game, such as terrible FT shooting (52%), bad 3-pt shooting (8-36 for 22%), and a penchant for getting out of control on fast breaks. But he provided many more positives than I had anticipated before the season started, and as a freshman, it has to give you hope that he can develop into a serviceable, if not good, 4th guard off the bench next year in a four-guard rotation.

1. yes but he needs new sneakers as has been noted
2. I agree 100% about Gavin and one of the issues is he didn't get a lot of open looks which should definitely change next year and he could really use a year in the S and C program
3. J Mike very good defensively and agree with the rest

There weren't many positives, but there are a few we can point to as helpful to next year:

1. Jeremiah Williams - he's a leader, he's a ballhandler and distributor, and he can get a bucket when needed. He will be a perfect complement to Ace and Dylan.

2. Gavin Griffiths -- yes, he was lost on both offense and defense for most of the year, but he absolutely showed improvement over the final 1/3rd of the season, as you would hope a freshman would. He showed glimpses of actually becoming a "plus" defender with his length and quickness -- he was third on the team in blocked shots with 13, in just 17.8 mpg, and he was right behind Hyatt who had 15 blocks -- and his offensive decisions and shooting were much better, especially in the final 7 games where he shot 13-35 from 3-point range (37%). There is hope that he can be a consistent 9-10 ppg scorer next year while shooting 35% or better from deep.

3. JaMichael Davis -- not much was expected of the man they call JMike. Most thought that he was brought in solely because of his connection to Ace, and that he would only see garbage time minutes like a replacement for Jalen Miller. But he ended up being a plus defender (way better than Miller IMO), had a decent mid-range game (41% on twos), and he was often a stabilizing force at PG with a solid assist-to-TO ratio (58-39). No doubt, he also had serious flaws to his game, such as terrible FT shooting (52%), bad 3-pt shooting (8-36 for 22%), and a penchant for getting out of control on fast breaks. But he provided many more positives than I had anticipated before the season started, and as a freshman, it has to give you hope that he can develop into a serviceable, if not good, 4th guard off the bench next year in a four-guard rotation.
Number 1, Jeremiah can get a bucket but he can also fall down for a turnover going the other way. He has to stay on his feet and slow down. He started well feeding Cliff but became like the rest of the guards and became shot first not pass first and did not help enough. He can play defense but has to stop with the stupid ticky tack fouls. He really has to improve and I am hoping his being out for 2 years was the cause of some of the rustiness
Number 2. Gavin was a no show in every way for the first 15-20 games. Then he played a little better , a little better defense , a little better 3 point shooting but my disappointment was in his overall game. He has to use his height and get in the lane and drain 2 ‘s as well and drive like he did late yesterday. Hoping the progression next year will be drastic as he will be counted on when Dylan and ACE are doubled or swarmed. He has to get in shape and start cutting non stop for curls , around screens , and improve his handle and stop with the behind the back high school stuff. He also has to get stronger and be a force on the boards.
Number 3 JMike was decent for a frosh but his insistence to go into trees and get blocked should be his wake up that he is not in high school anymore. He also failed to feed Cliff and become a pass first guard. His form and shot is good and could get better so if he gives some offense along with tough on the ball defense and less hero ball , he will be useful off the bench next year.

1. Jeremiah is fine, but not sure agree on his fit w Dylan. JW doesn't spread the defense out as he can't shoot from outside either. Dylan will want lanes to drive.
2. Gavin should be fine, and did show defensive improvement, but he was awful again the last couple games on that end.
3. Agree, exceeded any expectations we should have had for him, even if he was third best of the three guards.

Only 2 players out of all of our scholarship players met or exceeded expectations…JMike and JWilliams, and it was a very small sample size for Williams and he started to slip into the muck like the rest of the team at the end. JMike exceeded expectations only because there weren’t really any expcectations and he needed to play because of the failures of our other guards. Hopefully, he can take the next step next year and play within himself.

It’s almost unfathomable to think that of the remaining approximately 10 scholarship players, only Griffiths showed some improvement during the season, and that’s partially due to the fact that he was so horrendous early on.

This team ended the season worse than they started it. Truly a wasted season.

JAMike needs to learn how to distribute the ball and not get out of control when he's driving. He also needs to shoot 10,000 FT's over the summer. His defense and quickness are undeniable. I think this kid can only get better. As to your #1 and #2, I couldn't agree more.

JAMike needs to learn how to distribute the ball and not get out of control when he's driving. He also needs to shoot 10,000 FT's over the summer. His defense and quickness are undeniable. I think this kid can only get better. As to your #1 and #2, I couldn't agree more.
and 10,000 jump shots and 3 pointers

Reactions: RU MAN
4. We got a free walking tour of our state's capital?

5. We beat SHU and Indiana. Won at Mich for first time ever.

I remember giving up on the lot after 40 mins and parking on the street and saying to my son, “well, I hope the car is still here when we get back”. Never again.

It was though, so I guess not having my car stolen in Trenton count be a 4th positive.

3 positives is basically all anyone can come up with which says it all
I guess I could add the fact that Cliff’s rim protection and shot blocking abilities became elite this year. It’s the reason I would want him back next year, as our defense will need that sort of backstop.

Reactions: Scangg
I guess I could add the fact that Cliff’s rim protection and shot blocking abilities became elite this year. It’s the reason I would want him back next year, as our defense will need that sort of backstop.

He also showed some progress with his moves in the post. Sometimes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT