ADVERTISEMENT

GAME 32 MARYLAND: They shoot horses don't they

Would love to be a fly on the wall for the end of season recap and next steps discussion btw Hobbs and Pike. Hope they look closely at the coaching and staff. If the team doesn’t succeed next year guys like Knight will likely leave.

The portal game will be interesting - hopefully the money is there to get the players fans are clamoring for but I fear we will continue to focus on low major kids in the bargain bin.

While I’m excited for next season I am super nervous about 2025 recruiting. Need to follow this class with another solid class to keep the momentum. If we stumble next year that will also suffer.

Reactions: babbs09
I'll be very disappointed if we don't get to the 2nd weekend next season... because I expect Pike to be able to attract real talent in the portal this time. All I'm saying is let's make sure that actually happens in the next couple months.

Are you saying sweet 16 is the expectation with a team of Dylan, Ace, and make it up... Somerville, Derek, Gavin, Jeremiah, JMike? I mean it's possible but I wouldn't feel great about it
I too expect us to be able to add solid pieces in the portal. Look at seton hall with zilch for NIL. They put together a rag tag bunch and made the tourney

Reactions: ScarletNut
We all want to get out of the first weekend, but upsets happen in the tournament

We might be getting 10 new players next season and might not know who 5 of them are yet

Hard to set any clear expectations at this point
Best way to get out of the first weekend is a 6 seed or better. If were a 8+ seed thats unacceptable with this roster

Forget about what happens over two games dude. Being Purdue last year is more of a success than scraping into the tournament and then making the sweet 16.

I’d much rather set expectations for a tourney seed than a tourney result.
Thats fair too. What tourney seed?

Harry Truman famously had a sign on his desk which read,”The buck stops here.” The ”here” we are talking about is Pikell. Whether some of us like if or not he gets to use a mulligan for this terrible season. But that’s it. If next year is not a success from a reasonably objective standpoint, he needs to go. NO MORE EXCUSES !

Best way to get out of the first weekend is a 6 seed or better. If were a 8+ seed thats unacceptable with this roster
What roster? All we know for sure are the five freshmen. We expect GG, JWill, and Davis, too. That still leaves five unopened roles and a VERY inexperienced roster.

Interesting how you were basically silent for over a month on the hoops program and have EXPLODED with input now that the season is over.

What roster? All we know for sure are the five freshmen. We expect GG, JWill, and Davis, too. That still leaves five unopened roles and a VERY inexperienced roster.

Interesting how you were basically silent for over a month on the hoops program and have EXPLODED with input now that the season is over.
Smurf!

Tough season for the fans and program for sure. Actually better than I expected after watching them early this year but still very disappointing after pikes raised expectations here. If pikes is anything calm demeanor notwithstanding he’s a competitor. It’s a changing landscape and he got blindsided but he still needs to produce. I’m very confident he will figure it out. He did so already in more difficult circumstances.

Not me said the Flea, not I said the fly.

No grudges all Rutgers fans!! :-). I think!

Poor shooting game I was a bit distraught to say the least. Fire away. Think confidence shot.

Williams 3-14 and Cliff 1-7 didn’t help either.

Funny thing is thought he was distributing the ball very well. 4 assists and should have had quite a few more but our guys missed some bunnies and don’t have the best of hands. Throw in two rebounds and two assists….

8-14 from the line. Wouldn’t you want better than that next year?

In the be careful what you wish for, don’t start Derek and the game was over in the first three minutes. 11-0 before you blink an eye. Maryland hitting threes for first time all year. First five minutes 3-14 and one assist.
Never recovered.

Don’t think you missed Simpson?

Last edited:
Reactions: zebnatto
I recognize this is a dumb “if” because its not the case. But IF dylan and ace werent coming here next year, these boards would be ablaze will calls for pikes head. Weve regressed every year since the 2019-2020 season
You're aware it's dumb (you got that part right), but alas you can't help saying it anyway. From a guy who admits he hasn't watched this year.

Highly recommend YouTube video series called “why this offense is basketball poetry”
Hoop vision 68
It will make you want to fire Pike for malpractice.
Pike should spend all offseason watching it.
What's the point of all the ball movement and screening if the guy that ends up with the ball can't hit the shot? It's a good offense for UConn. I don't see how it would have been a good offense for this Rutgers team. We were better off focusing our energy on defense. Maybe next year.

Reactions: DRC79 and socaldave

I was silent the entire season because I really didn’t watch lol, it wasnt just a month. I obviously could’ve come in here and torn them to shreds how bad the team was this year but with idiots like you, I can’t win. If I’m silent, that means I can’t talk, if I talk that means I’m not a fan, so I choose to ignore people like you.

You guys were shocked i was quiet. I was quiet because it was obvious wed be awful. There was no surprise

I was silent the entire season because I really didn’t watch lol, it wasnt just a month. I obviously could’ve come in here and torn them to shreds how bad the team was this year but with idiots like you, I can’t win. If I’m silent, that means I can’t talk, if I talk that means I’m not a fan, so I choose to ignore people like you.

You guys were shocked i was quiet. I was quiet because it was obvious wed be awful. There was no surprise.
Who is the "we" you didn't watch?

Lol im an alum and fan so anything rutgers is we to me. Ill be following next season which started yesterday
Okay, you're interested enough to watch when you expect RU to be good but not when you think otherwise. That's a pretty lowlife attitude, certainly not a fan's.

Did you watch any college hoops? Maybe UCONN, Purdue, Houston. Or maybe you watched your favorite team whoever they are.

Okay, you're interested enough to watch when you expect RU to be good but not when you think otherwise. That's a pretty lowlife attitude, certainly not a fan's.

Did you watch any college hoops? Maybe UCONN, Purdue, Houston. Or maybe you watched your favorite team whoever they are.
Im a hockey first guy. So only time i watch bball really ever is rutgers and when rutgers is good. Nothing personal. Youre taking this personal haha.

Like I genuinely could not be paid to go to an nba game.

I hope they do because this one still has 15 minutes to go and it is quite clear this season needs to be put out of its misery. Rutgers on their way to their 7th loss in their last 8 games. A tank job that would make Fred Hill look bashful. Performance has been so bad I did not even do a recap for last game and the only reason I am doing one here is because it is the last game of the season. I do not want to hear about next season. What I saw this season has me very concerned about roster management, ability to get a feel for the portal and the unfortunate stubborness of loyalty. Pikiell may have been sandbagged by the departures of Cam and Paul but he bares most of the brunt of what happened. He brought in 3 injured players for a team that had an injured guy coming back. That injured guy by the way played the staff for more $$$ which to me a giant red flag. One of the 3 guys also had a gambling issue held over his head and missed half the season. Another guy is a major project that is only good for a few minutes. The first target and prize of the portal class was a 24 year old out of shape with a family which means his focus was never going to be on hoops. Pike brought back a guy who is 8th man on most teams but forced to be the leading scorer on this team...paying attention yet. Pike bringing back Hyatt instead of recruiting over him in the portal knowing Mag could miss at least half the season. Then injured player Mag is cleared to play yet drifts in and out of the lineup rumored to be saving himself for a bag somewhere else. But worse yet Pike's prize recruit made a painful transition to D1 hoops failing to grasp how to play defense and then could not even rely on his shot to get him minutes. Oh we are not done yet. An undersized underrecruited guard who had one local beat writer writing love letters about has the worst fg percentage of all power conference guards.

Let us hold back on advancing a narrative its Cams and Pauls fault. This was coming from 3 years of major misses in recruiting, being too loyal to some players and refusing to recruit players to challenge returning players. I can list a half dozen or more players that should never have been in the progam as Big 10 players and for Pike to try to get by with such a thin margin of depth for 3 years running inexcusable. The performance tonight was predictable given this team has checked out and only maybe 3-4 of these players will be back next season. However there is a thing called pride and its unacceptable that RU did not show an ounce of one today. Getting down 16-3 and then doors blown off to start the 2nd half going down feebly and looking like a laughingstock. If any team in the past decade is unlikable...its this one. Fair or not.

Next year the #2 and #3 players are coming for a one year stay along with some other highly recruited players. There is reason for optimism. Expectations will be high. But the program is going nowhere if Pikiell cannot put the right parts in place for this once in a lifetime run...and remember when they are gone after next year, the program has to be able to live to. Its a dance with the devil but anything is better than this season. Pikes team traditionally take time to gel and he struggles with coming up with offensive gameplan. Next years team will be required to produce right out of the gate. I am not overly confident this is going to happen. Its going to take a major change in demeanor from this staff and what they demand from the players and yes I think Pike is too easy on players and maybe there is something to those Spencers comments. So thankfully this season has come to an end. Good or bad, next year is going to be completely different and embracing brand new expectations and challenges. There is no honeymoon anymore. Rutgers is expecting to make the NCAA tourney next season. Rutgers is expected to have a successful season. The excuses and mea culpa need to end. This is not Rutgers coming off of Eddie Joran. Pikiell is entering his 9th season. He is getting paid a shit ton of money to deliver. Next year he must deliver.

The first target and prize of the portal class was a 24 year old out of shape with a family which means his focus was never going to be on hoops.

^This is the guy that I voted for as biggest disappointment in other thread. He was expected to bring a solid PG game and could hit 3's. Turns out he couldn't really play PG at the B1G-level-not a ball handler/distributor, and his D was so bad we couldn't risk him on the floor enough to be a deep threat on offense. His transfer probably also chased away Mulcahy. As a result JMIke and Simpson were forced into too many PG minutes.

Not me said the Flea, not I said the fly.

No grudges all Rutgers fans!! :-). I think!

Poor shooting game I was a bit distraught to say the least. Fire away. Think confidence shot.

Williams 3-14 and Cliff 1-7 didn’t help either.

Funny thing is thought he was distributing the ball very well. 4 assists and should have had quite a few more but our guys missed some bunnies and don’t have the best of hands. Throw in two rebounds and two assists….

8-14 from the line. Wouldn’t you want better than that next year?

In the be careful what you wish for, don’t start Derek and the game was over in the first three minutes. 11-0 before you blink an eye. Maryland hitting threes for first time all year. First five minutes 3-14 and one assist.
Never recovered.

Don’t think you missed Simpson?
We have started slow in games constantly all season that Simpson started

He did have good passes early on but then went back to shot hunting

Kyk and FIG

Carl Weathers Friendship GIF

Im a hockey first guy. So only time i watch bball really ever is rutgers and when rutgers is good. Nothing personal. Youre taking this personal haha.

I think you’re being duplicitous. You don’t really care about Rutgers basketball or you would’ve watched the games.

I think you’re being duplicitous. You don’t really care about Rutgers basketball or you would’ve watched the games.
Is Rutgers the college bball team I root for? Yes. Does Rutgers basketball get me going even like 10% of what Rutgers Football and Rangers hockey does? No.

Does this mean Im not allowed to talk about them? Haha

Reactions: dconifer
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT