ADVERTISEMENT

GAME 29 NEBRASKA: They are exactly what they are

I’m not going to blame Simpson for all of our offensive woes. There is plenty of blame to go around, from Hyatt, to Cliff, to JMike, to GG most of the year, hell EVERYBODY on this team shares the blame. We’re an AWFUL offensive team.

But with that said, Simpson is our starting Shooting Guard, and I would challenge anyone to find a worse “shooter” on a major conference team who starts as a shooting guard:

Decent to good shooting games this year (in order):
4-10
7-10
3-8
9-16
3-8
4-10
7-13
6-14
And, mind you, I’m really being indulgent in labeling 4-10 and 3-8 games as decent to good.

Bad shooting games:
1-5
1-6
2-8
1-6
2-7
1-3
2-7
3-14
4-15
2-13
2-6
3-13
3-10
1-7
2-9
1-6
3-10
1-6
0-3
1-7
2-10

These numbers are mind-numbingly, stunningly, vomit-inducingly bad. They don’t lie. This is our starting 2-guard for goodness sake. That’s supposed to be a team’s best scorer, or one of the best.

The above is not talking about Derek’s other qualities as a player, which are many. He’s a plus defender, starting to border on the elite in fact. He usually brings energy. He’s got chutzpah, the will to take big shots. He’s a very good foul shooter.

But as a “shooting guard,” he’s just plain bad. Doesn’t mean other players aren’t bad too. But he’s affirmatively a net negative — and hugely so — on offense. And this needs to be corrected on next year’s team.

Simpson is almost certainly the worst high usage offensive player in the P6. You really should stop posting.
Best foul shooter on the team.
No Mags.
4th best defensive team in the country
Simpson.
1 turnover today.
You should never post ever.

Best foul shooter on the team.
No Mags.
4th best defensive team in the country
Simpson.
1 turnover today.
You should never post ever.
31.6% from the field for the season. Basically couldn’t be worse even if you were shooting blindfolded. Please stop posting. If you are close to him, at this point you are embarrassing him.

I’m not going to blame Simpson for all of our offensive woes. There is plenty of blame to go around, from Hyatt, to Cliff, to JMike, to GG most of the year, hell EVERYBODY on this team shares the blame. We’re an AWFUL offensive team.

But with that said, Simpson is our starting Shooting Guard, and I would challenge anyone to find a worse “shooter” on a major conference team who starts as a shooting guard:

Decent to good shooting games this year (in order):
4-10
7-10
3-8
9-16
3-8
4-10
7-13
6-14
And, mind you, I’m really being indulgent in labeling 4-10 and 3-8 games as decent to good.

Bad shooting games:
1-5
1-6
2-8
1-6
2-7
1-3
2-7
3-14
4-15
2-13
2-6
3-13
3-10
1-7
2-9
1-6
3-10
1-6
0-3
1-7
2-10

These numbers are mind-numbingly, stunningly, vomit-inducingly bad. They don’t lie. This is our starting 2-guard for goodness sake. That’s supposed to be a team’s best scorer, or one of the best.

The above is not talking about Derek’s other qualities as a player, which are many. He’s a plus defender, starting to border on the elite in fact. He usually brings energy. He’s got chutzpah, the will to take big shots. He’s a very good foul shooter.

But as a “shooting guard,” he’s just plain bad. Doesn’t mean other players aren’t bad too. But he’s affirmatively a net negative — and hugely so — on offense. And this needs to be corrected on next year’s team.
He’s not our shooting guard. He’s our point guard. He’s actually playing two roles.

What exact is Davis’ role…. which he fails miserably.

Simpson is our only point and the only reason shooting so much as the only guy who can get open and our best ball handler.

If Simpson is our shooting guard, who in the world is our point??

Defense, rebounds, steals….

List me Davis and Hyatt’s numbers and Gavin’s and Fernandes before your vomit inducing numbers!

Hypocrites much??

4-25 from 3 today!!!!
10-19 from the foul inducing!!!
Agreed absolutely horrible!!

So stunningly vomit inducing. But….

Not of those misses threes is from Simpson. Not one!!!
Hmmm….

Not one of those missed foul shots is from Simpsons.

That’s why we lost. Not one of those misses from Simpson. If any of you have any shred of honesty…

Narrative blown to bits and intellectually dishonest.

I am not asking too much but those are the facts. Chew on that!

Posters and bashers should be embarrassed. Just the facts. SMH

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: cshelley
31.6% from the field for the season. Basically couldn’t be worse even if you were shooting blindfolded. Please stop posting. If you are close to him, at this point you are embarrassing him.
Please stop posting as it’s obvious you have nothing constructive to say.
Who is our ball handler?
4-25 from three. How many misses were Simpson’s?
10-19 from the line? How many misses were Simpson’s?
You are the embarrassment. Please stop posting. I’ve been here long before you and will be here long after you.

He’s not our shooting guard. He’s our point guard. He’s actually playing two roles.

What exact is Davis’ role…. which he fails miserably.

Simpson is our only point and the only reason shooting so much as the only guy who can get open and our best ball handler.

If Simpson is our shooting guard, who in the world is our point??

Defense, rebounds, steals….

List me Davis and Hyatt’s numbers and Gavin’s and Fernandes before your vomit inducing numbers!

Hypocrites much??

4-25 from 3 today!!!!
10-19 from the foul inducing!!!
Agreed absolutely horrible!!

So stunningly vomit inducing. But….

Not of those misses threes is from Simpson. Not one!!!
Hmmm….

Not one of those missed foul shots is from Simpsons.

That’s why we lost. Not one of those misses from Simpson. If any of you have any shred of honesty…

Narrative blown to bits and intellectually dishonest.

I am not asking too much but those are the facts. Chew on that!

Posters and bashers should be embarrassed. Just the facts. SMH
JWill is our point guard for the past 9 games, but I suppose Pike doesn’t play a true “point guard” and “shooting guard” in the traditional sense. He plays “guards” who share ball handling and other duties.

But that doesn’t change the shooting data. Whether Simpson is a point guard or shooting guard or combo guard or crossing guard, HE’S A TERRIBLE SHOOTER. And a high volume terrible shooter too.

You still haven’t come to grips or admitted this yet. All you’ve been doing is pointing out his good qualities (which I did in my post) and, most prominently, deflecting attention from Simpson by pointing out how bad other players are (which I also did in my post).

But I am isolating the one particular skill set that is most important for a guard — shooting. He’s terrible at it. And nothing you say to defend him as a player can change that fact. It’s a FACT backed up by two years’ worth of hard data.

I’m frankly perplexed by your refusal to acknowledge this fact. It’s almost like you’re “punking” the board with your stubborn defense of 31.6% from the field.

You will hold your tongue with Derek, I will not. He’s statistically one of the worst offensive players this sport has seen in years. @mb5789 had the stat a couple pods ago about his FG%. It’s terrible, and the fact Pike let’s him take these bonehead contested mid range jumpers is mind boggling. 4 times (May have been more) he completely missed Gavin who was wide open for 3 and instead put his head down and played hero ball. He’s a good kid and plays hard on defense, but he has no business being on a P5 basketball roster.

Here’s a wild stat…

Simpson shot 37.4% from the field last season, which was the worst on the team (for players who took 40+ attempts).

He followed that up by shooting 31.6% this season.

Here’s a wild stat…

Simpson shot 37.4% from the field last season, which was the worst on the team (for players who took 40+ attempts).

He followed that up by shooting 31.6% this season.
Sick Vomit GIF by CBS

If you don’t think Simpson receives a ridiculous amount of criticism then I don’t know what to say. Look at BAC’s review, one of the most respected basketball posters on this board. Quick to rip Simpson for lack of transition baskets. He has to hold his tongue for ripping Simpson. Yet Davis goes 0-6 and 0-3 from 3 and not a peep. Not a single word! Hypocrisy much? Double standard much?

We lost this game because we 4-25 from three and 10-19 from the line.

None of those misses were from Simpson!

If this fan base isn’t going to acknowledge that… shame on them.
The roster is full of players that can't make baskets.Picking on one player over the others misses the point that poor recruiting and player development has resulted in a team that will be lucky to have a winning season.

Reactions: RW90
This thread really is something else. Wow.

Of rhe starters, only Williams should be okay with his individual performance.

Simpson should've gotten credit for two on goaltending, but still... that box score line is terrible other than 5 rebounds and if I'm being generous, only one turnover in 30 minutes. But one assist and 4 pts with zero trips to the FT line.... ugh. Net negative on O eight of his last ten games. Yikes.

Hyatt with a terrible night. Missed a bunch of wide open shots from deep. Got a few boards but seemingly none early when Nebraska pounded us on the glass to create their lead. He should start on Senior Day but I would start Gavin at Wisconsin. Pike won't do that IMO.

Davis brings good effort on D. He really is a pest there. But his shot was way off tonight. Generally speaking, he seems to know most games it is not his role to shoot much. I'll give him a pass for the clunker tonight.

Cliff got outplayed badly by Sideshow Bob. You could say he never got the ball in the post from Nebraska D game plan... what about two rebounds?

Noah hit two 3s but plays bad D. He is a good rebounder for his size.

Pike should get away from the 2nd half autostart for opening tip starters.

Wolf and Gavin showed a lot of effort and desire. Gavin stopping Gary in iso twice in a row was impressive and shod build his confidence on that end of the floor. I'd like to see Wolf repeat this play the next two games before I'm convinced it is a trend, but it was a very solid night other than the FT line and the moving pick.

I don't think Simpson has played well for most of this season.

I also love the fans who point out obvious shooting woes for Simpson and in general but continue to ignore the elephant in the room.

We are now 4 out of 6 important games down the stretch of the season and RU has NOT issued any statement on Mawot Mag. When asked about Mag, the quote was as folllows "Hopefully, maybe, Mawot Mag will be back".

While Simpson is not able to carry a limited offensive roster (his stats and shooting percentages look like Corey Sanders during the early Pike years surrounded with limited offensive options), we have NO clue what's the story with Mag.

There are certain games and matchups where having a Mag, obviously could help. Nebraska plays a smaller lineup and Mag again is a no-show. And there are no real answers on "why is he not playing"??

We got 9 points and rebounds from Wolf and when certain players aren't scoring (Cliff, Hyatt), it's possible we could have gotten 6 PTS and 3 rebounds from Mag.....but we didn't get anything, because the player ultimately doesn't want to compete.

If a player has an opportunity to play at 80 to 85%, RU should see all of its parts able to play. There's really no valid excuse anymore for a lot of the fans who seemingly have nothing to say about Mag, but endless discussions about Simpson.....

I can at least say, while Simpson isn't a great shooter and has to do too much because he doesn't have a 3 point shot to rely upon, we have a senior player very comfortable not competing down the stretch. And it's not the reason why RU hasn't won more games or not, but I would like to think maybe RU doesn't fall behind by 8 to 10 at Michigan because Mag played some and maybe we don't have to rally from 13 down in the 2H vs Northwestern, if Mag could give RU 10 to 14 minutes somewhere along the way.

Maybe RU still loses to Nebraska by 6 or 5 instead if 11 if he played a dozen minutes. Maybe he could have scored all the same.points Wolf gave us and added a couple more FTs instead if Wolf going 1 of 5 from the line.

I'm not saying Mag is a starter at all, he's certainly not shown it or a willingness to compete, so I'm actually not surprised he isn't playing. And I have a disappointed and classy HC, who easily could pull a Rick Pitino, but doesn't.

Onto Wisconsin and while Mag continues to rest up, we are watching Gavin Griffiths learn more on the job, which ultimately and hopefully pays off next year, as he gets stronger and plays better defense and gets his feet wet in conference games.

I hope we have the same standard and energy for Mag but the free pass continues for those fans seemingly not truly interested in "what is the standard "?? The goal should be to build a program that competes, plays defense and tries for 40 minutes......at least Simpson and others like Davis and JWilliams, Austin Williams and others are out there trying. Let's not hold Mag to the same standard is what most fans are seemingly OK with...

Continue ignoring what I've said now for well over a year......when something is staring you right in the face, it's kinda hard to ignore at this point. Player was cleared in October, sat out wayyyy too many games at the start of the season.....now, in the stretch run of key B1G games, we have more "no-shows"......

Let's get back to the Simpson bashing, sorry to interrupt the thread with more facts......

• Love
Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
Seems pretty clear at this point Mag ie not all in on playing every minute he can get. I think he will be looking to transfer out. What should we say about him in a game thread about a game he didn't play?

Reactions: RUonBrain
People are frustrated with Simpson. They're frustrated with Davis, Hyatt, Cliff, Mag, and Gavin, too. Please don't mistake criticism of one player for a free pass for another.

I also love the fans who point out obvious shooting woes for Simpson and in general but continue to ignore the elephant in the room.

We are now 4 out of 6 important games down the stretch of the season and RU has NOT issued any statement on Mawot Mag. When asked about Mag, the quote was as folllows "Hopefully, maybe, Mawot Mag will be back".

While Simpson is not able to carry a limited offensive roster (his stats and shooting percentages look like Corey Sanders during the early Pike years surrounded with limited offensive options), we have NO clue what's the story with Mag.

There are certain games and matchups where having a Mag, obviously could help. Nebraska plays a smaller lineup and Mag again is a no-show. And there are no real answers on "why is he not playing"??

We got 9 points and rebounds from Wolf and when certain players aren't scoring (Cliff, Hyatt), it's possible we could have gotten 6 PTS and 3 rebounds from Mag.....but we didn't get anything, because the player ultimately doesn't want to compete.

If a player has an opportunity to play at 80 to 85%, RU should see all of its parts able to play. There's really no valid excuse anymore for a lot of the fans who seemingly have nothing to say about Mag, but endless discussions about Simpson.....

I can at least say, while Simpson isn't a great shooter and has to do too much because he doesn't have a 3 point shot to rely upon, we have a senior player very comfortable not competing down the stretch. And it's not the reason why RU hasn't won more games or not, but I would like to think maybe RU doesn't fall behind by 8 to 10 at Michigan because Mag played some and maybe we don't have to rally from 13 down in the 2H vs Northwestern, if Mag could give RU 10 to 14 minutes somewhere along the way.

Maybe RU still loses to Nebraska by 6 or 5 instead if 11 if he played a dozen minutes. Maybe he could have scored all the same.points Wolf gave us and added a couple more FTs instead if Wolf going 1 of 5 from the line.

I'm not saying Mag is a starter at all, he's certainly not shown it or a willingness to compete, so I'm actually not surprised he isn't playing. And I have a disappointed and classy HC, who easily could pull a Rick Pitino, but doesn't.

Onto Wisconsin and while Mag continues to rest up, we are watching Gavin Griffiths learn more on the job, which ultimately and hopefully pays off next year, as he gets stronger and plays better defense and gets his feet wet in conference games.

I hope we have the same standard and energy for Mag but the free pass continues for those fans seemingly not truly interested in "what is the standard "?? The goal should be to build a program that competes, plays defense and tries for 40 minutes......at least Simpson and others like Davis and JWilliams, Austin Williams and others are out there trying. Let's not hold Mag to the same standard is what most fans are seemingly OK with...

Continue ignoring what I've said now for well over a year......when something is staring you right in the face, it's kinda hard to ignore at this point. Player was cleared in October, sat out wayyyy too many games at the start of the season.....now, in the stretch run of key B1G games, we have more "no-shows"......

Let's get back to the Simpson bashing, sorry to interrupt the thread with more facts......
Condescending post.

The thread is a recap of the Nebraska game. A game in which Mag did not play. So people are discussing the guys who did play.

If Mag is good enough to go and opting not to so he can transfer out, then he’s a shitty teammate and honestly, f him.

14 paragraphs in a recap thread about a guy who didn’t play filled with condescension towards people just discussing the game. Geez.

Condescending post.

The thread is a recap of the Nebraska game. A game in which Mag did not play. So people are discussing the guys who did play.

If Mag is good enough to go and opting not to so he can transfer out, then he’s a shitty teammate and honestly, f him.

14 paragraphs in a recap thread about a guy who didn’t play filled with condescension towards people just discussing the game. Geez.
Have to agree with this - though I don’t know if condescending is the right word. The post just makes no sense. Why on earth would Mag be discussed in a recap thread about performance in a game he didn’t play in?

I am beyond over Hyatt but i was over him for last years tank at the end. Yet Pike gave him another shot. I know what you mean with Wolf. He has been bad. Is this just one game..or is it perhaps how Wolf was used this year. Tonight he showed things from his freshmen year that made us think he could play at this level. I dunno but I guess I want to see him more these next 2. I dont need to see A Will or Egbole

GG to start..i doubt Pike does it but I do think GG will get plenty of minutes in the next 2.
Pike made a comment post game about going with guys who were bringing great energy. I have to imagine that was in reference, at least in part, to Gavin vs Hyatt.

To your point, I doubt Gavin starts, especially on Senior Day, but his minutes should go up from here on out.

Pike made a comment post game about going with guys who were bringing great energy. I have to imagine that was in reference, at least in part, to Gavin vs Hyatt.

To your point, I doubt Gavin starts, especially on Senior Day, but his minutes should go up from here on out.
Gavin vs. Hyatt last 4 games:

Hyatt:
Mins: 21
Pts: 8.25
FG%: 32%
3ptFG%: 14%
Reb: 3.5
Blocks: 0.5

Griffiths:
Mins: 20
Pts: 5.75
FG%: 33%
3ptFG%: 38%
Reb: 4.5
Blocks: 1

People are frustrated with Simpson. They're frustrated with Davis, Hyatt, Cliff, Mag, and Gavin, too. Please don't mistake criticism of one player for a free pass for another.
It is a free pass my friend.....we aren't seeing anyone questioning why the "supposedly " best player is not able to give RU any minutes in a game.
We have to be fair and right now Simpson is deserving of all the criticism coming his way......I think it's clearly a bit over the top but not going to interrupt a jilted portion of the fanbase still upset about Cam and Paul leaving and them taking that out on Simpson. It's big-boy sports and comments are free to fly in any direction, as long as they're supported by facts.

I just find it somewhat strange that a program built on defense, rebounding and toughness, had a good amount of posters or fans argue with me for 7 to 9 months about how important Mag was and he no shows down the stretch of games this season.

When you want to buy into hype and claim the player is the reason why RU faltered down the stretch last year, we now have more excuses for his injuries now this year. No one is asking him to be all B1G or scoring 12 PTS and 7 to 8 REBS each night.....but when you don't play at all, I don't see that same energy directed at Mag, while it's full steam ahead on Simpson.

If I had one player that I'd place my eggs in the basket with next year, pouring full effort and whatever he has next year, I'd clearly do that with Simpson and others way before I even get down the list to Mag.

It is a free pass my friend.....we aren't seeing anyone questioning why the "supposedly " best player is not able to give RU any minutes in a game.
We have to be fair and right now Simpson is deserving of all the criticism coming his way......I think it's clearly a bit over the top but not going to interrupt a jilted portion of the fanbase still upset about Cam and Paul leaving and them taking that out on Simpson. It's big-boy sports and comments are free to fly in any direction, as long as they're supported by facts.

I just find it somewhat strange that a program built on defense, rebounding and toughness, had a good amount of posters or fans argue with me for 7 to 9 months about how important Mag was and he no shows down the stretch of games this season.

When you want to buy into hype and claim the player is the reason why RU faltered down the stretch last year, we now have more excuses for his injuries now this year. No one is asking him to be all B1G or scoring 12 PTS and 7 to 8 REBS each night.....but when you don't play at all, I don't see that same energy directed at Mag, while it's full steam ahead on Simpson.

If I had one player that I'd place my eggs in the basket with next year, pouring full effort and whatever he has next year, I'd clearly do that with Simpson and others way before I even get down the list to Mag.
He's injured right? Did I miss the memo? How can you conflate poor shooting performance with a guy not playing because he's injured?

Reactions: Degaz-RU and Scangg
Condescending post.

Someone coined the term "Hawksplaining" earlier this season. Think we need to add "Hawklighting" as well.

JWill is our point guard for the past 9 games, but I suppose Pike doesn’t play a true “point guard” and “shooting guard” in the traditional sense. He plays “guards” who share ball handling and other duties.

But that doesn’t change the shooting data. Whether Simpson is a point guard or shooting guard or combo guard or crossing guard, HE’S A TERRIBLE SHOOTER. And a high volume terrible shooter too.

You still haven’t come to grips or admitted this yet. All you’ve been doing is pointing out his good qualities (which I did in my post) and, most prominently, deflecting attention from Simpson by pointing out how bad other players are (which I also did in my post).

But I am isolating the one particular skill set that is most important for a guard — shooting. He’s terrible at it. And nothing you say to defend him as a player can change that fact. It’s a FACT backed up by two years’ worth of hard data.

I’m frankly perplexed by your refusal to acknowledge this fact. It’s almost like you’re “punking” the board with your stubborn defense of 31.6% from the field.
Point guards distribute and handle the ball. Do the majority of ball handling.
JM is not the point guard ever.

Irregardless if Jwill is now considered the point guard on the team, Simpson is still usually bringing the ball up and not only has the most assists but the best assist per turnover rate on the team. So if you want to classify him as combo guard have at it. Neither are pure point guards or shooting guards

I certainly am not punking this board and am truly sorry for your perplexion. I have never claimed that Simpson is a good shooter. You are reading what you want to read. I am merely defending Simpson who does everything else very well.

Nobody on the team is a good shooter yet Simpson takes all the heat for missing shots.
Nobody in two years has shown that they are a good shooter besides Cam.

Board constantly kills him even yesterday.
Sure he was 2 for 10 and had one taken away for goal tending. Who takes all the heat? Simpson. Don’t you think that’s a bit unfair.
Gavin had one of his better games and was 3-10.
Hyatt was 1-6.
Davis was 0-6 and 0-3
Fernandes was 2-8
Cliff had two baskets from the field.

Reading BACS review, it is Simpson who had no baskets in transition! Who did?
Reading BACs review, he has to bite his tongue on Simpson.
Reading BAC’s, review, Hyatt is a disaster.
Reading BAc’s review, he’s quick to rip every starter but there is actually no comment on one starter going 0-6 from the field and 0-3 from three. No bias here right?

Simpson is fair game but other guards/players are not?

Reading BAC’s review he is stoked that Gavin went 3-10, 3 rebounds and 2 blocks and played active defense.

Well I ask rhetorically, if Simpson gets his goal tending call, shouldn’t BAC be stoked that Simpson went 3-10, had 5 rebounds, a steal and an assist and played active defense?

Are you perplexed by that or is BAC punking us? Where is your response to BAC punking us? No perplexion there? SMH

Since you want to rely on the Stats and are so fixated on shooting, Simpson is yes the worst shooter among the players with the most minutes, that’s a given. I like the kid despite the poor shooting as he does so much more, so well.

But a much more sophisticated look at his shooting, which you obviously chose to ignore, is that Simpson is shooting a better three point percentage than Davis, Gavin, Mag, and Williams and barely behind Hyatt. That’s also a fact supported by DATA. Who is punking who? Maybe not such an awful shooter on this team supported by the DATA.

It’s also a FACT supported by hard DATA that Simpson is the best free foul SHOOTER on the team. In fact right now 4th best in the B1G conference. So who is actually being “punked.” ?????? So you are only attacking selective parts of his shooting. Most teams want their starting guards to be great foul shooters like Simpson. Who is punking who?

May want to rethink your post and stop attacking me as I am only defending one of the best defensive players we’ve had and a kid who constantly plays hard and hustles and takes repeated unfair shots on this board. (No pun intended).

No I am not Simpson’s brother or father just a diehard longtime fan of RU.

We held Nebraska 10 points below their average on their Senior Day at home. That was still a very good defensive effort. Simpson is a huge factor in that. Deal with it and acknowledge it and stop ripping the kid.

Last edited:

It is nothing close to facts. It is your stupidity trying to pile on to a kid coming off an ACL and cannot compete like he is capable. Your ridiculous opinion that Mag going down last year had nothing to do with our losing streak (6 of 8) down the stretch is something you refuse to admit. Now you are doing everything to pile on Mag when the obvious reason we lost yesterday is that Nebraska came out getting every 50/50 ball and tough on the boards and Hyatt failed measurably and then Hyatt, Derek and JMike play like their worst games of the year ( although some have had bad ones that seemed as bad ) and Cliff never got involved in the offense until Jeremiah fed him to cut the lead to 8 . Mag had absolutely nothing to do with the loss yesterday as 4 of our starters laid close to goose eggs in an important road game.
Your injecting Mag into every thread has been annoying and frankly borderline senile at this point. Stop trying to justify your mistake over and over again. It sucks you are doing it over and over again. The team has obvious shooting issues that are historically bad coupled with seniors along with underclass men that we were expecting more from , that come up small , non tough and unclutch over and over. That is the problem with this team not Mag.

Reactions: RUonBrain

Irregardless if Jwill is now considered the point guard on the team, Simpson is still usually bringing the ball up and not only has the most assists but the best assist per turnover rate on the team. So if you want to classify him as combo guard have at it. Neither are pure point guards or shooting guards

I certainly am not punking this board and am truly sorry for your perplexion. I have never claimed that Simpson is a good shooter. You are reading what you want to read. I am merely defending Simpson who does everything else very well.

Nobody on the team is a good shooter yet Simpson takes all the heat for missing shots.

Sure he was 2 for 10 and had one taken away for goal tending. Who takes all the heat? Simpson. Don’t you think that’s a bit unfair.
Hyatt was 1-6.
Davis was 0-6 and 0-3
Fernandes was 2-8

Reading BAc’s review, he’s quick to rip every starter but there is actually no comment on one starter going 0-6 from the field and 0-3 from three. No bias here right.Simpson is fair game but other guards are not?

Reading BAC’s review he is stoked that Gavin went 3-10, 3 rebounds and 2 blocks and played active defense.
Well I ask rhetorically, if Simpson gets his goal tending call, shouldn’t BAC be stoked that Simpson went 3-10, had 5 rebounds, a steal and an assist and played active defense?

Are you perplexed by that or is BAC punking us? Where is your response to BAC punking us? No perplexion there? SMH

Since you want to rely on the Stats and are so fixated on shooting, Simpson is yes the worst shooter among the players with the most minutes, that’s a given. I like the kid despite the poor shooting as he does so much more, so well.

But a much more sophisticated look at his shooting which you obviously chose to ignore, is that Simpson is shooting a better three point percentage than Davis, Gavin, Mag, and Williams and barely behind Hyatt. That’s also a fact supported by DATA. Who is punking who? Maybe not such an awful shooter on this team supported by the DATA.

It’s also a FACT supported by hard DATA that Simpson is the best free foul SHOOTER on the team. In fact right now 4th best in the B1G conference. So who is actually being “punked.” ?????? So you are only attacking selective parts of his shooting. Most teams want there starting guards to be great foul shooters like Simpson. Who is punking who?

May want to rethink your post and stop attacking me as I am only defending one of the best defensive players we’ve had and a kid who constantly plays hard and hustles and takes repeated unfair shots on this board. (No pun intended).

We held Nebraska 10 points below their average on their Senior Day at home. That was still a very good defensive effort. Simpson is a huge factor in that. Deal with it and acknowledge it and stop ripping the kid.
Cool. How many free throws did he make yesterday?

Last edited:
In league play only Simpson is now 91 out of 94 in FG% at .305. Griffiths is 93rd at .256. Davis 80, Fernandes 81, and Hyatt 87. It is a team-wide problem. Derek gets a lot of heat on this board for it because he has the 2nd worst FG% in league play on the team, yet has taken the most shots.

FGA in conference games:
Simpson 167
Hyatt 155
Omoruyi 151
Mag 119
Williams, J 99** this is the most FGA per game on the team but he is shooting .455
Davis 99
Griffiths 90
Fernandes 84
Williams A 64

Simpson is great at the FT line, ranking 14th in the league in conference play at .857. But he only has attempted 42 FT in 18 league games. That's 46th in the league. He doesn't draw enough FT to really take advantage of that skill set. Some of it may be the lack of leading games this season, forcing opponents to foul us late. But more of it is probably his size does not lend to drawing fouls when he drives to the basket.

Guard/wing leaders in FT attempts per game:
Terrence Shannon 8.8 per game in 13 games
Jahmir Young 7.8 in 19 games
Tony Perkins 5.6 in 19
Kanye Clary PSU 5.4 in 12 games
Boo Buie 5.4 in 18 games
A.J. Storr 4.7 in 18
Ace Baldwin 4.5 in 19
Derek Simpson 2.3 in 18 games

It's like having a baseball player that can steal bases at a high success rate rarely get the green light to steal for whatever reason.

Reactions: Scangg
Someone coined the term "Hawksplaining" earlier this season. Think we need to add "Hawklighting" as well.
That was me 🤣

Now we have Hawk arguing we can't win bc Mag didn't play arguing against himself. Can't make this stuff up

• Haha
Reactions: fatsam98
Simpson 2% by year.... 37, 31

Sanders 2% 48, 41, 44

If Simpson was shooting like Sanders, that would be amazing. Sadly he is nowhere close

Sanders from 3, sure. But this is the biggest problem with Simpson and why his numbers are elite level bad... he doesn't shoot well from anywhere on the court from the field. Simpson doesn't score efficiency from 3, midrange, or the rim. Sanders wasn't a good 3 point shooter but he could score in other ways

Reactions: DRC79

Hyatt was 1-6.
Davis was 0-6 and 0-3
Fernandes was 2-8

Reading BAc’s review, he’s quick to rip every starter but there is actually no comment on one starter going 0-6 from the field and 0-3 from three. No bias here right?

Simpson is fair game but other guards/players are not?

But a much more sophisticated look at his shooting, which you obviously chose to ignore, is that Simpson is shooting a better three point percentage than Davis, Gavin, Mag, and Williams and barely behind Hyatt. That’s also a fact supported by DATA. Who is punking who? Maybe not such an awful shooter on this team supported by the DATA.

It’s also a FACT supported by hard DATA that Simpson is the best free foul SHOOTER on the team. In fact right now 4th best in the B1G conference. So who is actually being “punked.” ?????? So you are only attacking selective parts of his shooting. Most teams want their starting guards to be great foul shooters like Simpson. Who is punking who?

Derek might walk the ball over halfcourt when he’s in. J Williams runs the offense though when he’s on the court.

Your really grasping at straws there to come up with statistics that point a picture of Derek as the better PG but your info isn’t even accurate. J Will has an assist to turnover ratio of 2.06. Derek’s is 2.00. That’s not even adjusted for SOS (and obviously J Will didn’t play against the cupcakes. Of course Derek has more assists overall as he played in 20 more games than Jeremiah. But J Will has more assists per game.

In Simpson’s defense, until Williams came along nobody else could get open on their own. Simpson takes the most shots as nobody was open. If Simpson wasn’t taking the shots, who was going to get open and even a bigger question who was going to make them? (see yesterday). Yet it is Simpson who takes the heat and grief.

Simpson taking the most shots because there was no other choice. And he gets ripped for it. SMH.

And after 9 games, Simpson still has a better Assist to turnover ratio than Williams. While Williams better passer and running the point, it still is Simpson better against pressure and bringing ball up court. Another one turnover game yesterday but wouldn’t know that from this board. Certain not appreciated

And still third most foul shots attempted on team and only 5 behind Hyatt. Foul Shooting has been stellar. 81 shots is a great sample size. Can play it down if you chose but I’d want a player shooting almost 87% from the line in a close game next year.

In Simpson’s defense, until Williams came along nobody else could get open on their own. Simpson takes the most shots as nobody was open. If Simpson wasn’t taking the shots, who was going to get open and even a bigger question who was going to make them? (see yesterday). Yet it is Simpson who takes the heat and grief.

Simpson taking the most shots because there was no other choice. And he gets ripped for it. SMH.

And after 9 games, Simpson still has a better Assist to turnover ratio than Williams. While Williams better passer and running the point, it still is Simpson better against pressure and bringing ball up court. Another one turnover game yesterday but wouldn’t know that from this board. Certain not appreciated

And still third most foul shots attempted on team and only 5 behind Hyatt. Foul Shooting has been stellar. 81 shots is a great sample size. Can play it down if you chose but I’d want a player shooting almost 87% from the line in a close game next year.
You don't have to say in Simpson's defense. We know

Have to agree with this - though I don’t know if condescending is the right word. The post just makes no sense. Why on earth would Mag be discussed in a recap thread about performance in a game he didn’t play in?
He is frustrated with people destroying Simpson and not going after Mag. People looking at players with different lens. Just like i have seen With Gavin.

NJH and I are on the exact, identical page with regards to Mag. Dont think much more needs to be said on the topic. Anything said will definite rub some the wrong way. We dont know the facts, but we can come to conclusions that seem logical.

He is frustrated with people destroying Simpson and not going after Mag. People looking at players with different lens. Just like i have seen With Gavin.

NJH and I are on the exact, identical page with regards to Mag. Dont think much more needs to be said on the topic. Anything said will definite rub some the wrong way. We dont know the facts, but we can come to conclusions that seem logical.
There is a lot of selective bashing of players and others get a free pass.
And you get ripped for calling out the Board on it. Accused of “punking” the Board? Ridiculous.
It’s a message board. It’s not the Official Rutgers University site. It’s not even Facebook in the general public.

Ru fans allowed to argue in the RU family.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT