ADVERTISEMENT

GAME 29 NEBRASKA: They are exactly what they are

bac2therac

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 30, 2001
Belle Mead NJ
I would not normally be all that discouraged about losing to a NCAA bound team on the road in their place when they do not lose. However tonight the way the game played out was infinitely winnable. It was a missed opportunity to make a statement that things were different. Nebraska did not play like a team who wanted to nail down a NCAA bid. Nor did they even play like a team that was tight with alot riding on the line. They went got a lead early and then coasted. Most of the game they went through the motions on offense with some bad turnovers and some pourus defense allowing guys like Wolf and GG to get hot. Door was left open for sure. Then when RU got to within 6 all Nebby did was turn to Tominanga who simply went on a personal 9-0 scoring run and the game was over. More disheartening is the fact that even with going through the motions, Nebraska was still outhustling Rutgers and getting every 50/50 ball. RU watched flat footed on most rebounding attempts while Nebraska simply grabbed rebounds. Tired of watching rebounds go off of Cliffs hands out of bounds. You are not coming back with plays like that.

The fact is the game was lost at the beginning when our vaunted starters pulled no shows besides J Will. How many times am I going to watch Cliff pull a now show manhandled by his opponent. Derek fail to make a transition bucket. Hyatt remind me why I did not want him back for a 5th year. The only reason RU had any pulse in the first half down by 12 not 24 was that Wolf and Gavin stepped up for their teammates and brought energy. I said at half that if Pike wanted to win, he needed to start the same 5 that played at the end of the first half. Instead of course we got the same 5 and the same results as Nebby was up as much as 15. It wasnt until Wolf and Gavin came in that the lead was chipped away. But they cannot do it all after getting handed a 15 point defecit on the road. In a frustrating game I am rethinking my thoughts on Wolf after a 9 points/9 rebound game....5 offensive boards and 2 assists. I beyond stoked about Gavins performance tonight especially how active he is defensively. Showing more confidence in his shot as well....yes only 3-10 fg, 10 points, 3 board, 2 blocks, 2-2 ft. Pike is finally finding something here and he needs to ride this the next couple of games. Looks like Mag probably will not go anymore. Hyatt is a disaster and I am going to hold my tongue here on Derek but I let my thoughts know in the game thread.

I said turn the page two games ago. It is beyond time and Pike maybe realizing it now. Lets hope he realizes it for the next couple of games and perhaps if they are fortunate enough to make the nit. Again offseason is huge. Some players need to leave. Some players like Mag/Cliff were there likely will be indecision need to be agressively handedly by Pike.. Pike need to ask if its worth first and then are you 100% with us or not. Sometimes hard choices need to be made to move the program forward. Perhaps GG and Wolf were not put in the best situation by Pike and by their teammates. I believe my eyes when I see certain players not acknowledging others. Again next year is new deal for Pike but can he actually navigate the roster offseason. No one wants to be 19-12 scraping in the field. We have two godsend players. The portal should be salivating to play with them.

Back to Nebraska.....congrats to them. They are headed to the NCAA tourney. Hoiberg will be Big 10 coach of the year. Hoiberg has had a rough go at times with major roster movement from year to year. This year finally some consistency and all his players bought in. An incredible story with Tominanga....he is a great kid...why wouldnt he be showing his emotions. He is having the time of his life and its about enjoying it. He will be a great story to watch in the NCAA tournament. Nebraska as a program reminds me of the 2020/2021 Pike NCAA teams.

For Rutgers it remains a Jekyll and Hyde group. Was their really people trying to build a path for a NCAA bid for this team because they beat Michigan. Bollocks...this team is what it is. They are 15-14 and 5-4 with J Will. Nothing more, nothing less. Incredibly frustrating. Its been messy since game 1 in Trenton vs Princeton and game 29 in lincoln there isnt much difference. A win over Ohio State is quite possible so is a loss. Yet this team simply is not more than a medicore bunch and the season a disappointing one in light of last year tanking. A roster terribley constructed. A combo of bad luck and bad recruiting and too many lacking hunger. How many times can I write the SAME RECAP. Next year is bright but again all those questions need to be answered. I have seen better coaches flounder with top talent. Aggressiveness is what I need to see in the portal and with the roster. If not I fear a program playing with a hand tied behind their back next year.

Nebraska honestly feels like a team that loses first game of the tourney, very unimpressed with them.

This season was dead on arrival when Cam and Paul transferred in the summer. .500 season expect blowouts, that's been my viewpoint all season aside from some fools gold in early February. Let's close out the next 10 days and hope to break even on the year and then focus on the portal and setting up for the hype train.

Incredibly frustrating. Its been messy since game 1 in Trenton vs Princeton and game 29 in lincoln there isnt much difference.
Check This Out GIF

Bac, you and I have both mentioned it in game threads throughout the season, but it is something we both disagree with Pike on. No matter what happens first half, the starters start 2nd half. He never rewards good play in the 1st half with a start in the second. He never benches anyone to start the 2nd half who play poorly 1st half. We then see the same lineup that starts slow repeat the poor play and dig another hole to start half 2

Hyatt back to back years fading down the stretch. Hyatt back to back years with a chance to step up as a senior leader with Mag out and a bigger role there for the taking. He shrinks the occasion sadly

Start Gavin over Hyatt. Season is over. Maybe that gives Gavin more confidence. If Gavin can continue to trend up the rest of the season, that would be a very nice silver lining to close a disappointing season

Wolf has just shown so little, I'm hesitant to say this is more than one good game, but if he finishing strong that makes next season's roster decisions tougher. Do we want 4 roster spots at the 5? Hard to imagine someone isn't leaving unless Cliff leaves and we don't land a portal 5. That would be very risky to rely on a freshman and Wolf / Ogbole

Reactions: Joey Bacala
I would not normally be all that discouraged about losing to a NCAA bound team on the road in their place when they do not lose. However tonight the way the game played out was infinitely winnable. It was a missed opportunity to make a statement that things were different. Nebraska did not play like a team who wanted to nail down a NCAA bid. Nor did they even play like a team that was tight with alot riding on the line. They went got a lead early and then coasted. Most of the game they went through the motions on offense with some bad turnovers and some pourus defense allowing guys like Wolf and GG to get hot. Door was left open for sure. Then when RU got to within 6 all Nebby did was turn to Tominanga who simply went on a personal 9-0 scoring run and the game was over. More disheartening is the fact that even with going through the motions, Nebraska was still outhustling Rutgers and getting every 50/50 ball. RU watched flat footed on most rebounding attempts while Nebraska simply grabbed rebounds. Tired of watching rebounds go off of Cliffs hands out of bounds. You are not coming back with plays like that.

The fact is the game was lost at the beginning when our vaunted starters pulled no shows besides J Will. How many times am I going to watch Cliff pull a now show manhandled by his opponent. Derek fail to make a transition bucket. Hyatt remind me why I did not want him back for a 5th year. The only reason RU had any pulse in the first half down by 12 not 24 was that Wolf and Gavin stepped up for their teammates and brought energy. I said at half that if Pike wanted to win, he needed to start the same 5 that played at the end of the first half. Instead of course we got the same 5 and the same results as Nebby was up as much as 15. It wasnt until Wolf and Gavin came in that the lead was chipped away. But they cannot do it all after getting handed a 15 point defecit on the road. In a frustrating game I am rethinking my thoughts on Wolf after a 9 points/9 rebound game....5 offensive boards and 2 assists. I beyond stoked about Gavins performance tonight especially how active he is defensively. Showing more confidence in his shot as well....yes only 3-10 fg, 10 points, 3 board, 2 blocks, 2-2 ft. Pike is finally finding something here and he needs to ride this the next couple of games. Looks like Mag probably will not go anymore. Hyatt is a disaster and I am going to hold my tongue here on Derek but I let my thoughts know in the game thread.

I said turn the page two games ago. It is beyond time and Pike maybe realizing it now. Lets hope he realizes it for the next couple of games and perhaps if they are fortunate enough to make the nit. Again offseason is huge. Some players need to leave. Some players like Mag/Cliff were there likely will be indecision need to be agressively handedly by Pike.. Pike need to ask if its worth first and then are you 100% with us or not. Sometimes hard choices need to be made to move the program forward. Perhaps GG and Wolf were not put in the best situation by Pike and by their teammates. I believe my eyes when I see certain players not acknowledging others. Again next year is new deal for Pike but can he actually navigate the roster offseason. No one wants to be 19-12 scraping in the field. We have two godsend players. The portal should be salivating to play with them.

Back to Nebraska.....congrats to them. They are headed to the NCAA tourney. Hoiberg will be Big 10 coach of the year. Hoiberg has had a rough go at times with major roster movement from year to year. This year finally some consistency and all his players bought in. An incredible story with Tominanga....he is a great kid...why wouldnt he be showing his emotions. He is having the time of his life and its about enjoying it. He will be a great story to watch in the NCAA tournament. Nebraska as a program reminds me of the 2020/2021 Pike NCAA teams.

For Rutgers it remains a Jekyll and Hyde group. Was their really people trying to build a path for a NCAA bid for this team because they beat Michigan. Bollocks...this team is what it is. They are 15-14 and 5-4 with J Will. Nothing more, nothing less. Incredibly frustrating. Its been messy since game 1 in Trenton vs Princeton and game 29 in lincoln there isnt much difference. A win over Ohio State is quite possible so is a loss. Yet this team simply is not more than a medicore bunch and the season a disappointing one in light of last year tanking. A roster terribley constructed. A combo of bad luck and bad recruiting and too many lacking hunger. How many times can I write the SAME RECAP. Next year is bright but again all those questions need to be answered. I have seen better coaches flounder with top talent. Aggressiveness is what I need to see in the portal and with the roster. If not I fear a program playing with a hand tied behind their back next year.
You will hold your tongue with Derek, I will not. He’s statistically one of the worst offensive players this sport has seen in years. @mb5789 had the stat a couple pods ago about his FG%. It’s terrible, and the fact Pike let’s him take these bonehead contested mid range jumpers is mind boggling. 4 times (May have been more) he completely missed Gavin who was wide open for 3 and instead put his head down and played hero ball. He’s a good kid and plays hard on defense, but he has no business being on a P5 basketball roster.

I do think it’s a little bit of a chicken and the egg scenario, where they’re maybe reluctant to give GG the ball as he takes terrible shots, but I think he takes terrible shots because he’s not otherwise involved in the offense.

Simpson takes even worse shots though so idk
I think that is part of it but they are not passing it to Gavin in situations where it would be a good shot if they did

4-25 from 3. That’s why we lost. By the way none of those misses were from Simpson. So can’t blame him. 🦗.

10-19 from the foul line. That’s why we lost. None of those missed free throws from Simpson. 🦗.

Narratives blown. Who will you blame??

Simpson didn’t make any baskets in transition? Who did?

Idea that Simpson didn’t pass to Gavin is stupid. Simpson lost two or three assists with fumbled catches and fouls.

Let’s ignore the obvious goal tending not called and that Davis went 0-6 and 0-3 from three but Simpson transition baskets? What?

Cliff has six points and Hyatt has 2 points but let’s blame Simpson in transition. SMH

Gavin a nice game but still 3-10 but Simpson.

Fernandes 2-8 but Simpson

I prefer to focus on the positives tonight. Nebraska has the best home court in the country this year and we could have won.

We held Nebraska 10 points under average, home court senior night, sell out.

Gavin keeps improving by the minute.

Woolfolk probably best game of career.

B1G gives us three games in 10 days including two away games to end season. Most other teams greeting week rest.
Supposed to ignore that B1G never screws us. SMH.

All in all never thought we were going to win this game. Nobody this year other than Creighton has beat Nebby at home.

We played tough and never backed down. Hit some foul shots and one or two threes, and we would have been right in it.

We can and will beat Wisconsin.

Nebraska honestly feels like a team that loses first game of the tourney, very unimpressed with them.

This season was dead on arrival when Cam and Paul transferred in the summer. .500 season expect blowouts, that's been my viewpoint all season aside from some fools gold in early February. Let's close out the next 10 days and hope to break even on the year and then focus on the portal and setting up for the hype train.
they are going to be a 9 or 10 seed. They easily can win that opening round game. Now can they matchup vs a 1...well they did beat Purdue albeit at home. There is ability for them to get hot and their defensive is getting better. Today...they did not play well at all and still won rather easily.

Reactions: kimaniismyffriend
4-25 from 3. That’s why we lost. By the way none of those misses were from Simpson. So can’t blame him. 🦗.

10-19 from the foul line. That’s why we lost. None of those missed free throws from Simpson. 🦗.

Idea that Simpson didn’t pass to Gavin is stupid. Simpson lost two or three assists with fumbled catches and fouls.

Let’s ignore the obvious goal tending not called and that Davis went 0-6 and 0-3 from three but Simpson transition baskets? What?

Cliff has six points and Hyatt has 2 points but let’s blame Simpson in transition. SMH

I prefer to focus on the positives tonight. Nebraska has the best home court in the country this year and we could have won.

B1G gives us three games in 10 days including two away games to end season. Most other teams greeting week rest.

All in all never thought we were going to win this game. Nobody this year other than Creighton has beat Nebby at home.

We played tough and never backed down. Hit some foul shots and one or two threes, and we would have been right in it.

Wow. Read the board. There is TONS of criticism of Hyatt, Cliff, JMike, etc after tonight’s game. And yes, there’s also criticism of Simpson. Wanan know why? Because all four of them had awful games.

You seem to be claiming that Simpson is the only guy under the microscope. It’s just not true.

Tell me — I know what you thought of Cliff, Hyatt, JMike, Noah’s game tonight based on your post. But what do you think of Simpson’s game?

Bac, you and I have both mentioned it in game threads throughout the season, but it is something we both disagree with Pike on. No matter what happens first half, the starters start 2nd half. He never rewards good play in the 1st half with a start in the second. He never benches anyone to start the 2nd half who play poorly 1st half. We then see the same lineup that starts slow repeat the poor play and dig another hole to start half 2

Hyatt back to back years fading down the stretch. Hyatt back to back years with a chance to step up as a senior leader with Mag out and a bigger role there for the taking. He shrinks the occasion sadly

Start Gavin over Hyatt. Season is over. Maybe that gives Gavin more confidence. If Gavin can continue to trend up the rest of the season, that would be a very nice silver lining to close a disappointing season

Wolf has just shown so little, I'm hesitant to say this is more than one good game, but if he finishing strong that makes next season's roster decisions tougher. Do we want 4 roster spots at the 5? Hard to imagine someone isn't leaving unless Cliff leaves and we don't land a portal 5. That would be very risky to rely on a freshman and Wolf / Ogbole
I am beyond over Hyatt but i was over him for last years tank at the end. Yet Pike gave him another shot. I know what you mean with Wolf. He has been bad. Is this just one game..or is it perhaps how Wolf was used this year. Tonight he showed things from his freshmen year that made us think he could play at this level. I dunno but I guess I want to see him more these next 2. I dont need to see A Will or Egbole

GG to start..i doubt Pike does it but I do think GG will get plenty of minutes in the next 2.

I think the OP was too negative. Other than the first 3 mins we outplayed Neb IMO - the foul shots and wide open 3s didnt fall, and thats why we lost. Against Michigan they did, and thats why we won by 30. This team has potential but also misses shots some nights poorly. I agree this was not as bad as I thought, I feel really good about the Wisconsin game and send us to the OSU senior day with a chance to punch our NIT ticket

I think the OP was too negative. Other than the first 3 mins we outplayed Neb IMO - the foul shots and wide open 3s didnt fall, and thats why we lost. Against Michigan they did, and thats why we won by 30. This team has potential but also misses shots some nights poorly. I agree this was not as bad as I thought, I feel really good about the Wisconsin game and send us to the OSU senior day with a chance to punch our NIT ticket
Nebby played a C- game and still won, they got a lead and they absolutely coasted from there. RU got to 6 but never really threatened. Outplaying? what does that even mean. When RU got close Tominanga went on his own 9-0 run as we folded tent and Derek threw up a bunch of bricks.

says alot to outplay a team in your opinion and still lose by 12, even in a poor game for Nebby, they outplayed us and my eyes were not lying when they saw them hustle for 50/50 balls even so

Reactions: motel00 and Scangg
Wow. Read the board. There is TONS of criticism of Hyatt, Cliff, JMike, etc after tonight’s game. And yes, there’s also criticism of Simpson. Wanan know why? Because all four of them had awful games.

You seem to be claiming that Simpson is the only guy under the microscope. It’s just not true.

Tell me — I know what you thought of Cliff, Hyatt, JMike, Noah’s game tonight based on your post. But what do you think of Simpson’s game?
If you don’t think Simpson receives a ridiculous amount of criticism then I don’t know what to say. Look at BAC’s review, one of the most respected basketball posters on this board. Quick to rip Simpson for lack of transition baskets. He has to hold his tongue for ripping Simpson. Yet Davis goes 0-6 and 0-3 from 3 and not a peep. Not a single word! Hypocrisy much? Double standard much?

We lost this game because we 4-25 from three and 10-19 from the line.

None of those misses were from Simpson!

If this fan base isn’t going to acknowledge that… shame on them.

Reactions: zebnatto
If you don’t think Simpson receives a ridiculous amount of criticism then I don’t know what to say. Look at BAC’s review, one of the most respected basketball posters on this board. Quick to rip Simpson for lack of transition baskets. He has to hold his tongue for ripping Simpson. Yet Davis goes 0-6 and 0-3 from 3 and not a peep. Not a single word! Hypocrisy much? Double standard much?

Literally everyone admits JMike had a bad game

Why can't you say Simpson had a bad game?

I will ask again.

Please tell us how you felt about Simpson’s game tonight. You’ve made it clear what you think about everyone else.

Watching the Princeton game was a omen of the rest of the season with woeful shooting and the lack of leadership from the upper classmen.Jermiah Williams was the only player who showed a semblance of offense on a consistent basis but it was late in the season before he was eligible to play.The absence of a 3 point presence in games put Rutgers at a decided disadvantage in games along with poor foul shooting.The roster took a hit with the departure of Mulcahy and Spencer with the end result being a offense that was one of the worse in college basketball.There needs to be roster changes in addition to the five freshmen along with better coaching of a half court offense.
Rutgers can't waste the opportunity to having two elite players on the court for one year joined with players lacking the talent for the B1G Ten.

Sad how we’ve flipped places with Nebraska in three years

It is really not too far away from last year and it comes down to playmaking and shot making, passes that set up others.

We have TEN to 11 players who cannot generate their own offense OR are deficient in a key area.. but most of it is talent missing or playmaking missing.

We have 3 players who can create their own offense OR shoot....

JWill is 1...
Gavin is 2 ,(but really not there yet on defense).
Noah is 3rd, but not a plus defender.

I'd ultimately give Gavin and Noah 1/2 a player each, which makes it 2 out of 13 players.

The rest of the roster is totally reliant on someone else to set them up, which shows up in the fans comments...."this one won't pass the ball nonsense".....no one had to worry about setting up RHJ, Jacob Young, Geo Baker etc

Even Cliff isn't in sync, unless everything lines up with the perfect lob or pass

Mag, Hyatt, Austin Williams, Oskar, Wolf, Ogbole, Chol, Cliff all need someone to set them up.....and Derek and JMike are learning on the job but neither factors in as a starter or aren't good enough to make shots thar other guards make in our league.

Adding 5 playmaking players with the 2024 class is fun, but we need Gavin to keep improving vs Wisconsin, Ohio State and perhaps Maryland a 3rd time.

Do not agree that Nebraska didn’t play like a team that wanted that NCAA bid , they hit every big 3 every time we got closer or tried to cut into the lead. They got almost every single 50 / 50 ball . They hustled all night. What I did see was Rutgers defense turning up the defense and really bothering Nebraska for the last 27 minutes of the game. We turned it up defensively giving us a chance to win but our offense struggled to get over the hump.

I did not like a number of Pike ‘s subs as we were trying to make the runs. He played Hyatt, Derek and JMike too much. He should have gone with Jeremiah and played Wolf and Cliff together along Gavin and Noah or Austin . With Austin , still enough offense with Jeremiah , Gavin and Cliff with Wolf having his best offensive game of the year. He kept on going back to bad lineups.
Amazing how bad Hyatt, Derek and JMike were tonight and we still had a chance especially if Hyatt hits those 2 foul shots.

Your posts, on net, generate criticism of Simpson. Every one of these ridiculous posts that you make generates multiple replies, and every one of those replies needs to criticize Simpson in order to explain why you are wrong. If you want to reduce criticism of Simpson, you should stop making these posts.

It is really not too far away from last year and it comes down to playmaking and shot making, passes that set up others.

We have TEN to 11 players who cannot generate their own offense OR are deficient in a key area.. but most of it is talent missing or playmaking missing.

We have 3 players who can create their own offense OR shoot....

JWill is 1...
Gavin is 2 ,(but really not there yet on defense).
Noah is 3rd, but not a plus defender.

I'd ultimately give Gavin and Noah 1/2 a player each, which makes it 2 out of 13 players.

The rest of the roster is totally reliant on someone else to set them up, which shows up in the fans comments...."this one won't pass the ball nonsense".....no one had to worry about setting up RHJ, Jacob Young, Geo Baker etc

Even Cliff isn't in sync, unless everything lines up with the perfect lob or pass

Mag, Hyatt, Austin Williams, Oskar, Wolf, Ogbole, Chol, Cliff all need someone to set them up.....and Derek and JMike are learning on the job but neither factors in as a starter or aren't good enough to make shots thar other guards make in our league.

Adding 5 playmaking players with the 2024 class is fun, but we need Gavin to keep improving vs Wisconsin, Ohio State and perhaps Maryland a 3rd time.
Simpson can also create shots, he just can't make them

Simpson is almost certainly the worst high usage offensive player in the P6. You really should stop posting.

Reactions: Scangg
Tough to see time for Simpson and Davis next year. With 2 freshman, I expect our team defense to take a step back. JD and DS are excellent defenders but negative on offense. In a perfect scenario, they fight for the 4th guard spot and play limited minutes.

DS must work all summer on the 3 ball. Absolutely NO midrange shots from him next year. NONE. He will never be at the top of a 1-4 and go iso. Those days are over. This is on Pike to do his freaking job. With his foul shooting, 35% from 3 would help RU.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT