ADVERTISEMENT

***Fat Cat Friday: 2/9 Everything but the kitchen sink!***

bobby deren

Heisman Winner
Feb 8, 2007
Quotables
Nunzio Campanile on why he joined the Rutgers coaching staff:

“I always thought that it had to be the right opportunity. Obviously, I am a New Jersey guy through and through. So, the opportunity to be here and to be in my backyard and in a place I grew up, and the Big Ten is the highest level of college football, so I thought when Chris Ash and I spoke, I really thought it was a great opportunity, a great time. I worked really hard at Bergen Catholic to make sure they were in a great position. I feel like their program is in great shape and it was a great opportunity to move on and I really appreciate the opportunity Coach Ash has given me.”

Chris Ash on RU’s lone signing day signee, Swedish DE Robin Jutwreten:
I am very excited about him, a big explosive guy. He has to work on his fundamentals and learning the game, but I think he’s got a ton of tools to work with.

Chris Ash on the 10 spring semester enrollees:
“They have been in all of our workouts the last few weeks and they have made our team better. I think they are really good, high character kids. They really fit in well in our locker room. They have bought into our standards and the way we do business really early on. They are a fun group and get to watch thus far. They have made us better.”

Fat Cat Top Five
Top Five Upcoming events at Rutgers
.) Rutgers Pro Day (March 9)
4.) RU Lacrosse vs No.16 Army (2/17)
3.) RU Wrestling vs No.21 Minnesota (Tonight)
2.) RU vs Illinois Basketball Game (Sr. Day - 2/25)
1.) RU Football Spring Game (TBA)

Bobby’s Crystal Ball
Rutgers spring practice will start earlier than it ever has before

Assistant Coach Hot Board
Rutgers is once again in search for a new assistant coach as word broke yesterday of Bill Busch’s departure for an assistant coaching job at LSU. Busch served as the secondary coach and was co-defensive coordinator. Here is a look at the top candidates who could be in line to replace him.

Fran Brown (Baylor Defensive Backs/Assistant Head Coach)
Brown appears to be at the top of Chris Ash’s wish list as Scarlet Nation has learned that contact has already been made and Brown does have an interest in returning to his home state of New Jersey. Brown would be an excellent fit as he has proved himself to be an excellent recruiter during his time at Baylor and a previous stint at Temple. However, it would likely take a sizable salary to lure Brown away from Baylor. This hire looks like it could be contingent on Rutgers’ capability of anteing up.

Anthony Campanile (Boston College Defensive Backs Coach)
Campanile got his start at Rutgers before moving onto Boston College when Chris Ash arrived. However, Campanile wanted to remain on staff, but all the previous problems caused by Kyle Flood prompted Ash to part ways with the entire staff. The Campanile family has planted its flag in New Jersey and they are all very close. Having the chance to coach alongside his brother, Nunzio, would make a return to Rutgers a very alluring scenario for Anthony. Don’t rule this one out just yet. If Brown and Ash cannot get on the same page, look for Campanile to be targeted.

Cory Robinson (Temple Defensive Backs Coach)
Before Robinson got his shot at Temple last year, he coached at Calvert Hall in Maryland and also trained high school athletes. He has always been very involved in the lives and recruitment of his players and could add some juice to Rutgers recruiting. Last season, Robinson also showed he can do it on the field as he helped Temple lead the American Conference in passing defense. Robinson is a rising young star in the coaching ranks.

Matt Hewitt (Rutgers Recruiting Assistant)
Hewitt may be the most frequently mentioned staff member when recruits talk about Rutgers. He’s proven to have the ability to connect with recruits and allowing him to hit the road recruiting would only elevate his capability. Hewitt arrived at Rutgers after a stint at Dartmouth where he held the title of quality control defensive assistant. That followed coaching stints at Bergen Catholic and William Patterson. Hewitt was also a standout safety in college at Alfred State before transferring to Arkansas. A bump for Hewitt may seem well-deserved, although he will have to battle out more experienced coaches.

Rob Hinson (Timber Creek High School Head Coach)
The South Jersey head coach has four state titles to his credit and does an excellent job both on and off the field. Hinson would rejuvenate Rutgers’ presence in South Jersey and add an immediate presence to recruiting. Since Ash recently hired Nunzio Campanile, that might hurt Hinson’s chances as it is not likely he will make back to back hires at the high school level. That does not diminsh Hinson’s potential to be an excellent coach at the college level.

Omar Hales (Rutgers Director of Football Recruiting)
Hales has been doing his part in recruiting and is steadily progressing into a more upgraded role. Bumping him up an assistant position would allow him to get out on the road and recruit. However, at this point, it looks like a host of other candidates will need to fall through before he can emerge as a favorite.

Recruiting Tidbits
DE Jamree Kromah (Flowers, Md.)
A late addition before the early signing period, Kromah is still recovering from a torn meniscus. He spent the past month on crutches and should be off them in about a week. He did not even realize it was torn and later found out when he left the football field. Having the procedure done a short while ago should allow him enough recovery time to be full healthy by the time he enrolls at Rutgers in late June.

WR Cornelius Johnson (Brunswick, Conn.)
Rutgers has offered another receiver in the 6-foot-3, 195-pound Johnson, who is now up to 10 offers. Rutgers looks as though it has generated some early interest as Johnson may soon make a trip down to campus.

"I have never been to campus but I am looking forward to it,” Johnson said. “There is a history there, like Paul Robeson. Coach [Vince] Okruch has told me they are very interested in me and want to get me on campus.”

DT Izaiah Henderson (Mater Dei, N.J.)
Another local defensive tackle offer, Henderson is part of the effort to add some depth to the d-line. The 6-foot-4, 265-pounder also has an offer from Boston College and is being recruited by Anthony Campanile. Here is a look at Henderson’s 2017 highlight tape:

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News