ADVERTISEMENT

***Fat Cat Friday: 8/14 Everything but the kitchen sink!***

bobby deren

Heisman Winner
Feb 8, 2007
Quotables
Kaiwan Lewis on the differences between the South Carolina and Rutgers defense:

“There are similarities in what we do, but there are differences in what you call it. It’s like trying to remember ‘what is that call?’”

Chris Muller on the quarterback competition:
“I have trust in both quarterbacks. I am an offensive lineman so I have no idea what makes a good quarterback and what makes a bad one. I just see a pretty ball when I look. But I have belief in what coach Flood is going to do. He makes the ultimate decision and I will be confident in whoever the quarterback is.”

Fat Cat Top Five
Top Five Freshman All-Physical Team
.) Deonte Roberts
4.) Nakia Griffin
3.) Ron’Dell Carter
2.) Manny Taylor
1.) Jon Bateky

Bobby’s Crystal Ball
Five true freshmen will play this season

Recruiting Tidbits
Poly Prep Update

As it was first reported Wednesday night on The Round Table, class of 2016 prospects OL Justin Morgan and LB Elias Reynolds of Poly Prep are still committed to Rutgers, but keeping their options open.

Morgan really enjoyed a recent visit to Pitt and plans to visit again. Reynolds confirmed with Scarlet Nation that he would like to take all five official visits, but with no other particular schools in mind at this time. Poly Prep doesn’t start its football practice until next Thursday, August 20th so it wouldn’t be a shock to see Rutgers work to get them both on campus in the coming days.

When Reynolds initially made his commitment to Rutgers, he told Scarlet Nation in an interview at the Rutgers Big Man Academy on June 19th shortly after a trip to Nebraska, "Rutgers is still my No.1 school. I was just visiting Nebraska, just seeing another school. But Rutgers is my home. I may tag along with my teammates for another visit, but I think Rutgers is my home.”

Philly’s Finest
Rutgers seemed to make a good impression on Imhotep (PA) teammates offensive linemen Yasir Durant and Johncarlo Valentin yesterday as they made their second visit to Rutgers this summer. Both prospects are taking their time with their respective recruitments as the only thing confirmed at this point is an official visit to Arizona State next month. The Sun Devils have added two Imhotep players in the program recently.

Durant told Scarlet Nation yesterday that he will most likely make it back up to Rutgers for a game this season and it seems likely that Valentin will accompany him.

It should also be noted that Durant told Scarlet Nation that the only written scholarship offer letter that he has received since August 1st, the first day they could be sent out to prospects, was from Rutgers even though multiple schools verbally offered earlier this year.

Meanwhile, highly-coveted class of 2016 DL target Karamo Dioubate is rumored to be leaning towards Penn State at this time, possibly even issuing a silent commitment. Dioubate told Scarlet Nation yesterday that his previously planned visits to Alabama and Auburn were off as he could not find any transportation as his coach wasn’t available. Any unofficial visits Dioubate makes will be with his football coach and with the season starting, it makes things difficult going forward.

Although it seems like there is work to do, Dioubate is still maintaining contact with the Rutgers. The best shot for Rutgers at this point is to hope Dioubate hopes to take official visits and extends the process.

Friday Visitors
While you can expect additional visitors on campus this weekend, Scarlet Nation received word from Timber Creek head coach Rob Hinson that Rutgers will host the entire varsity roster for the South Jersey powerhouse today. The team will get a chance to see alums Quanzell Lambert and Myles Nash who figure to have roles on the Scarlet Knight defensive line this year. The cupboard is never bare at the Erial school, and here are the prospects to watch closely from the school this fall:
Ezrah Archie 2017 WR/DB/ATH 6'0 185
Anthony Brown 2017 DT 6'2 255
Naijee Jones 2017 CB/S 6'0 180
Jelani McCargo 2017 SS/OLB/ATH 6'1 210
Dexter Miller 2017 OG/OC/DT 6'4 300
Matt Ringstaff 2017 OC/OG 6'3 290
Dante Witcher Jr 2017 CB 5'9 160
Isaiah Bolden 2018 DT 6'1 340
Devin Leary (Has Temple offer, played significant time last season) 2018 QB 6'1 172

Grand Street visitors
This past week, Grand Street Campus wide receiver commits Ahmed Bah and Taysir Mack checked out one of the first Rutgers practices of the summer, making the trip over from Brooklyn.

“It was good watching the receivers,” Bah said. “Coach Campanile had them doing a lot of different stuff. I was paying attention to all that. They said I could play the role of No.13 (Carlton Agudosi) when I get there. I like what they do on offense. I like the way the set up the defense. I just felt great being up there. It felt real comfortable because I know a lot more of the guys up there now.”

Mack offered his thoughts on being back to campus for the first time since he committed.

“It was just cool to be around everybody. One of my friends, Chris Parker, just got there. I like to be around people who have the same goals as me. I really see Rutgers as an upcoming program and I think they are going to be successful.”

Team Tidbits
Walk-on Week

It was a good week for walk-ons as second-year player Charles Scarff is making a strong push towards playing time at tight end. Scarff added 20 pounds from last season and is now up to 240 pounds. He said he can really see the difference with his additional strength.

“I can feel the difference out there, even from the spring until now. Not only did I put on weight and get bigger, but I know what I am doing. That makes the job a whole lot easier. My big thing was also playing with a lower pad level and I am doing that a lot better right now. I am liking the results and coach Flood is too."

Junior wide receiver Vance Matthews has also asserted himself through the first week of practice.

“I am a smart enough guy where I know all three positions, X, Z and F,” Matthews said. “I feel like I can fit in wherever they need me. I feel like I am not slow, so if they need me to go up top, I can. I feel like I have good enough footwork where I can go in the slot and operate against some linebackers. I feel like a good overall guy who can go wherever they need me.”

Senior running back Paul James has also excelled on the field in what is his final year as a Scarlet Knight.

“I don’t really feel it too much, but I am starting to notice it more as the days are going by and talking to the younger guys,” James said. "It is kind of starting to hit me that it is my fifth year, but it also brings wisdom and leadership. I am trying to use that since I have been out there so long. I use it to help out the younger guys."

Early Summer Standout
There was a lot of fanfare that followed Julian Pinnix-Odrick to Rutgers as he held over 20 offers at the time of his commitment. He redshirted his first year and then tore an ACL the following season. He played in a backup capacity at defensive end last year and now, with Darius Hamilton sidelined through the first week of camp, JPO has made a good deal of noise from the defensive tackle position and is relishing his chance to be out on the field.

“Being injured is one of the things I like to remember because it is never promised. You see guys go down with injury and when it was me, it was like I didn’t feel like a part of the team because I couldn’t contribute,” Pinnix-Odrick said. “So now, even when I am out there hurting, I still have to remind myself that I have an opportunity to go out there and enjoy the fun that is college football.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News