ADVERTISEMENT

FIOS and Optimum

tom1944

All American
Feb 22, 2008
Is it possible to get both?

I had Optimum and the internet service was lousy. It went out at least once a day.

We switched to FIOS and the internet has been great but the tv service has been awful.

When we first had it installed it worked for a few days and then started to go out. I would call for service and they would fix it over the phone but it would go out anywhere from an hour to a day later. They ended up sending service people over during the course of a month. Finally from October 22 until yesterday it was working. It began failing again for the last 2 days. They are sending me a new main box but I have my doubts that is the issue.
We think it is an issue where they ran the line from the street or where they connected at the house. The servicemen did not seem to want to consider that.

We actual had Direct TV before FIOS and that had minor issues but nothing like what is going on now.

Can I keep FIOS for the internet and get Optimum for TV? Or would I need internet service to get TV service?

Optimum is trash is every way. never again.

to answer your question, you should be able to split them. It'll just cost more.

You can also keep fios internet and try a streaming tv service like youtube tv or directv stream. id recommend that route. Optimum tv only would be expensive and they nickel and dime you.

Reactions: LeapinLou
I've had Optimum since 1990 (was Cablevision). Never had a problem until I upgraded to Altice about 4-5 months ago. Internet dropped daily, techs came at least twice a week for about 8 trips until I finally relented and had them upgrade to fiber instead of coaxial. Apparently Altice, a French company, is all fiber in Europe and doesn't jive well with coaxial. In any case, since I went fiber, my internet is flawless, faster (went from 300mps to 1 gig). I have 5 TV boxes, 3 WiFi-6 extenders, cable and internet (gave up landline a while ago) with a premium package for sports, HBO, and Showtime for 240/month. Negotiated it from 360 to 240 by emphasizing that I've been a loyal customer for over 30 years and that I was fed up with them, so they lowered the price. TV and internet are just fine, no drops and super fast.

Reactions: tom1944
I might have to see if I can get that because I want to like FIOS but the tv issue is annoying

Is it possible to get both?

I had Optimum and the internet service was lousy. It went out at least once a day.

We switched to FIOS and the internet has been great but the tv service has been awful.

When we first had it installed it worked for a few days and then started to go out. I would call for service and they would fix it over the phone but it would go out anywhere from an hour to a day later. They ended up sending service people over during the course of a month. Finally from October 22 until yesterday it was working. It began failing again for the last 2 days. They are sending me a new main box but I have my doubts that is the issue.
We think it is an issue where they ran the line from the street or where they connected at the house. The servicemen did not seem to want to consider that.

We actual had Direct TV before FIOS and that had minor issues but nothing like what is going on now.

Can I keep FIOS for the internet and get Optimum for TV? Or would I need internet service to get TV service?
Both stink. Move somewhere with Comcast/Xfinity. FYI, of course you can do both. However, you won't be able to get the price deals for bundling.

youll get local stations with directv stream or youtube tv.
One caveat. It appears (at least from quick search) you don't get WPIX with directv. You will get WPIX with YouTubeTV.
Think that Yankees games are no longer on WPIX, but at least last year Mets games were on WPIX. WPIX also has local news, and specials such as March of the Wooden Soldiers.

A benefit of streaming services (maybe Cable TV is same now) is that you can stream your channels when you travel. However, your local channels will likely be based on where you travel to.

Use Sling or YouTube TV and you won’t have to pay extra for every TV you want to watch the stream on.

I have use a bunch of Amazon Fire tablets that I put games on.
I'll have a main TV and then tablets and PCs around with games
I can go where I want without missing anything - including going outside.
I hate paying Google but YTTV is just too good

I pay $50/month for Optimum 500 MBPS Internet. I have YouTubeTV. The thermostat, two televisions, two phones, and my laptop all work off the wireless and are good. The trouble is if another person in the house tries to connect a laptop, that seems to be a tipping point and then the connection goes bad for one or more devices. So it seems I have a bandwidth rather than speed issue. I'm wondering if adding a home Wi-Fi system like Orbi, Eero, or Google would be a cheaper long term solution to my problem, than upgrading to 1 GB fiber or switching to FiOS.

I pay $50/month for Optimum 500 MBPS Internet. I have YouTubeTV. The thermostat, two televisions, two phones, and my laptop all work off the wireless and are good. The trouble is if another person in the house tries to connect a laptop, that seems to be a tipping point and then the connection goes bad for one or more devices. So it seems I have a bandwidth rather than speed issue. I'm wondering if adding a home Wi-Fi system like Orbi, Eero, or Google would be a cheaper long term solution to my problem, than upgrading to 1 GB fiber or switching to FiOS.
I tried Eero when I had coaxial and multiple techs blamed that partially for the drops I had in internet. Switching to fiber and using their WiFi-6 extenders solved everything. Besides the 5 TV's which are now WiFi, there are multiple laptops online simultaneously without any issues.

I tried Eero when I had coaxial and multiple techs blamed that partially for the drops I had in internet. Switching to fiber and using their WiFi-6 extenders solved everything. Besides the 5 TV's which are now WiFi, there are multiple laptops online simultaneously without any issues.
OK I guess to fully solve the issue I have to bite the bullet and spend the extra $30/month to upgrade to fiber. FiOS might be a little cheaper so maybe I'll switch.

I've had Optimum since 1990 (was Cablevision). Never had a problem until I upgraded to Altice about 4-5 months ago. Internet dropped daily, techs came at least twice a week for about 8 trips until I finally relented and had them upgrade to fiber instead of coaxial. Apparently Altice, a French company, is all fiber in Europe and doesn't jive well with coaxial. In any case, since I went fiber, my internet is flawless, faster (went from 300mps to 1 gig). I have 5 TV boxes, 3 WiFi-6 extenders, cable and internet (gave up landline a while ago) with a premium package for sports, HBO, and Showtime for 240/month. Negotiated it from 360 to 240 by emphasizing that I've been a loyal customer for over 30 years and that I was fed up with them, so they lowered the price. TV and internet are just fine, no drops and super fast.
$240 a month? you're still getting robbed.

My monthly costs:
$50 - Internet connection from Optimum
$65 - YouTube TV
$10 - HBO Max (pay for the year in advance)
$10 - Netflix (Actually my wife pays this so I'm not positive on the exact price)
Total = $135/month

I also have Amazon Prime but I get that more for the free shipping than the TV content.

No set top boxes needed. Need a Smart TV and/or Amazon Firestick or similar device for each TV. YouTubeTV includes being able to record shows like having a DVR.

I'm a Mets/RU fan and YouTubeTV includes BTN and SNY. It doesn't include MSG or YES so if you need Yanks/Rangers/Knicks, you have to explore other options. So for the guy paying $240, you have cheaper options depending on what content you must have.

Reactions: bac2therac
OK I guess to fully solve the issue I have to bite the bullet and spend the extra $30/month to upgrade to fiber. FiOS might be a little cheaper so maybe I'll switch.
The issue isn’t your internet. It’s your routers.

If you have a mesh network like Orbi or Eero, make sure the mesh points are not sitting too close.

If you still have problems, Wifi 6E routers may be the way to go. More expensive but the routers will last a long time.

You have to watch out that after a few months they don’t start creeping up the charges again. Maybe not all the way back up but enough

Fios and youtubetv.

Pricey, but worth it to me to have reliable internet and not have to pay for boxes for 4 TVs.

Reactions: LeapinLou
ADVERTISEMENT