ADVERTISEMENT

First time poster, to the Flood Haters (long post)

RUfan96

Redshirt
Apr 15, 2015
Hi everyone,

Like I said in my title, first time poster but long time fan of RU athletics, graduated in 96', Masters in 98' and still make it up to Piscataway for at least one game a year (I'm in North Carolina now).

I'm gonna give it my best shot to try to defend Kyle Flood from all these people who are jumping up and down about losing a recruit. First of all, when I was at Rutgers I had the privlidge (sarcasm) of having head coaches Doug Graber and Terry Shea provide what was an excuse to get drunk with your buddies on Saturdays... No one cared one way or another whether we won or not, because Rutgers Football wasn't relavant, NO ONE cared one way or another about rutgers football. Years past and we got Greg Schiano, obviously I can't say enough about the job he did putting rutgers on the map, the upgraded stadium, and ultimately an invitation to the Big 10. We can't blame Schiano for going after an NFL dream even though he wasn't successful, but Kyle Flood has come in and lived up to expectations.

I don't care what recruits we get, don't get, etc. What I care about is what I see on the field and what I saw last year was an 8-5 football team (which no one including yours truely thought would happen) in their first year in the Big 10 including beating MICHIGAN!!! Are you kidding me Michigan?! I don't care that they were on a down year, refs helped them, etc. I get the feeling that a lot of the posters on here are younger and by younger I mean under 30 years old, which is awesome that we have such a great young fanbase, but for those of us "Pre-Schiano" crew members what Rutgers football has turned into is nothing short of a miracle. To give you an idea, when I was at Rutgers we went 0-11 one year and I will NEVER to this day forget losing 49-7 to TEMPLE and you mean to tell me that we just BEAT the program that had Charles Woodson, Brian Griese, Jeff Backus, Steve Hutchinson, Jay Feeley, Tai Streets, etc. KYLE FLOOD BEAT MICHIGAN!!!!!!! I was as happy watching that game as any I can ever remeber. I'll even say the same about Penn State, yea it sucked we lost but we were there! we were competitive! this is Penn State we're talking about! (for those not in the know, Penn State for years and years was a perenial beat down, the onlyway to bare going to the games at Giants stadium was to get hammered beforehand).

I say all this so hopefully some of you can grasp the task at hand for Kyle Flood. My job has allowed me to travel around the country and see a lot of different college campus's and I can tell you that the facilities at Rutgers are no where close to those at our fellow Big 10 schools and other big time programs throughout the country. Rutgers also has never won anything as far as conferance titles, national titles or anything like that. You guys can't possibly think that Kyle Flood is on an even playing field with his competition for top Jersey talent. It's not even close. There's a reason why kids leave Jersey to play at other schools, simply put, they have more to offer as far as their football programs.

I get the whole Jersey loyalty thing and to an extent, its true, but let me ask you this, if you were starting a career and had an opportunity to work for your choice of Goldman Sachs or manage the local supermarket, only kicker is you would have to move out of state for Goldman Sachs, which one would you pick? Both you can make enough to live on and have a happy life but of the two, which one would you pick? That's what it's like for these high profile kids from Jersey when comparing Rutgers to the national, big time schools and facilities. Stop blaming Kyle Flood for not being able to convince kids to play in front of 50k people without a good practice facility and no track record of ever winning a conference title in our programs history when he has to compete against the Tennesee's of the world... Have any of you seen Tennessee's football facility? It's rediculous, nicer than pro teams facilities and these are the kind of programs we are competing against when a kid is considering PSU, Michigan, Ohio State, etc.... IT'S NOT FAIR TO FLOOD...

Here's the reality, when Schiano came in, he took the program to the next level, he made us relavant but in order to take the program even further, we need to upgrade our facilities, we need to spend more on recruiting and we need more donations, until we have those things, Rutgers will not take the next step no matter who the coach is, I mean that sincerely, everyone wants to blame Kyle Flood but the truth is, Nick Saban would have a difficult time recruiting here, it's not the coach, it's the facilities and the lack of tradition/luster. We are improving on the tradition/luster department but that takes time, we are not improving with facilities though and until we do Guarantano, Gary, Walker, and all these other high profile Jersey kids will continue to look elsewear.

Originally posted by rutgersdave:
I think he started this thread so the haters would go after Flood.
Exactly. Op is a troll looking to get people to attack flood.

I'm very pro Kyle Flood.

You were OK until you stated Nick Saban would have difficulty recruiting here. Saban would take this to the next level without a doubt.

This guy is kidding right?
Even in the lackluster Big LEast Schiano was getting Classes ranked in the Top 35 and keeping some Top 10 NJ Talent home.
Flood was dealt the " bad hand" of the announced entry some 2 1/2 years ago into one of the premier CFB Conferences in the Country : B1G .
Recruiting Progress to date : Classes that have dropped into the mid 50's Ranking and no Top 10 NJ Talent any year ( save one DB from the '13 class).
We all want the Dream Team class of 2016 but it has a long way to go.

Most people don't hate Flood. Blaming JG on Flood is ridiculous.

Kid used RU to scorn OSU after they scorned him. Flood did well enough to spin JG's shenanigans into positive buzz and PR for Rutgers.

Most people know this.

Originally posted by superfan01:

Originally posted by rutgersdave:
I think he started this thread so the haters would go after Flood.
Exactly. Op is a troll looking to get people to attack flood.
Huh?

What exactly do you mean by troll to get people to attack flood? I'm defending the guy. I've been reading posts all day from a bunch of people bashing Kyle Flood's ability to recruit, I'm trying to offer my point of view and perspective because I thought that was the point of a message board. I'm new here, I didn't realize this was such a sensitive subject (I just started reading this board 3 days ago). I meant no offense to anyone nor did I mean to upset anyone, just offering my perspective.

Your post was purely an attempt to incite people into attacking flood. It was a good try but failed.

Better luck trolling under your next screen name.

So I have no clue what you are talking about but sorry to disappoint, I lived in Campbell Hall freshman year and Richardson Apartments sophomore year before moving into the Phi Kappa Tau house my Junior and senior years, I lived in an appartment in New Brunswick during my graduate years and had season tickets all 6 of my years at Rutgers. I donate every year to the college of Marine and Coastal Sciences and my first position after graduation was working for Rutgers University Marine Field Station in Tuckerton.

As I said, I meant no offense by my post, I was responding to the folks who have been ripping all day on Coach Flood for not landing this Guarantano kid, clearly that wasn't you so I'm not sure how or why I offended you but I can assure you that my loyalty is clear.

Originally posted by RUfan96:

There's a reason why kids leave Jersey to play at other schools, simply put, they have more to offer as far as their football programs.[/B]

I get the whole Jersey loyalty thing and to an extent, its true, but let me ask you this, if you were starting a career and had an opportunity to work for your choice of Goldman Sachs or manage the local supermarket, only kicker is you would have to move out of state for Goldman Sachs, which one would you pick? [/B]
First off, I am not a FLood hater, and agree we need to give Flood some time.

You make some valid points. I agree, where we are at as a program is not FLood's fault. But it is irrelevant. It is the job of the coach to coach, recruit and win. Winning would obviously help elevate the program, and we did have a successful year last year. Not great at 8-5, but for our first year in the BIG, very successful. The caliber of recruits coming through is better than ever, but we have to start landing some of them. They want the BIG, but they want to win too.

I also agree that we need to start upgrading facilities to compete with other BIG schools, and donations will be a big part of it and when BIG money starts coming in, we will be in a much better position.

Again, where we are is not all Flood's fault. But he has to figure out a way to recruit and win.

BTW, you talk about how much our program has been elevated and how proud you are of it, but then you make the statements above. If you feel the recruits should choose elsewhere, and you feel we are a stop and shop compared to Goldman Sachs, how do you have any pride in the program. Doesn't make sense.

I don't agree with you. Rutgers has a lot to offer now, we have good, but not great football facilities, donations are up, and the future looks bright with BIG money coming. Our academic record for Football players is outstanding, and we are competitive right now. We are not building a program from scratch. We don't need to convince all NJ top 50 recruits, just a good chunk of them. FLood has to start doing this now whether its his fault or not where we are at as a program.

A few points from along timer here and for RU

1.) there are a lot of fans (maybe even the highest fan segment) that were at Rutgers during the 12 years of Anderson and Graber.

2.) Rutgers total football facilities are "middle of the pack" in the big ten. We wish the rest of our programs could say the same...but they can't

3.) right now...the head coach of Rutgers has enough to offer to be in the recruiting game and win our share as compared to the big ten east.

4.) the one area we have neglecting in (which I think you failed to mention) financially is paying our assistant coaching staff. Ralph was a nice change up and we need to pay for better assistants especially with higher costs of living here as opposed to many of our competitors

5.) if our current coach is not the answe...we will pay up for the next coach.
If our current coach gets it done...we will show him the dough

Program commitment is there...and will grow as revenue grows

You can't buy tradition and history, but, outside of out staff which has been done on the cheap, Flood has everything else he needs right now to elevate the program on a positive trajectory

Showed it in year one some on the field...need that to continue. Needs to show more in recruiting

this is the kind of troll thread we don't need on the board.....where are all these Flood hate posts today...you protest too much, there is hardly any negativity today...look at me look at me I'm Sandra Dee

I particularly like the "manage the local supermarket or work at Goldman Sachs" analogy in the OP.

That would seemingly imply that by choosing Rutgers a high school football player has materially damaged his career earnings potential. Like Devin McCourty did. I hope Devin eventually gets his life in order.

One might say it is a "rediculous" analogy.

OP, please make this your last post as well. No one wants to read an encyclopedia (I didn't read your post just read the title). Go back to covert mode please.

We love our head coach!
This post was edited on 4/16 8:52 AM by cRURah

RUfan96, keep right on posting. I like your sentiments and I know where you're coming from. Which apartment in Richardson were you in? I did triple duty there, sophomore year, part of my junior year, and my senior year.

Originally posted by RUfan96:

The next post down on this board is titled "Flood has to GO"
Re-read that post. The full post said, "Flood has to GO and recruit another QB". The guy was making a joke. He wasn't bashing Flood

Originally posted by KnightInVA23:
First and hopefully last post, ridiculous.
yep.. afaik, everyone likes Flood and hopes he succeeds.. some just see the problems and think it is too much.. and some think we can hire a magician if we only had enough cash.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT