ADVERTISEMENT

Politi on Kaliakmanis Being an Upgrade at QB (but not a flashy one)

The problem is Schiano could have Caleb Williams or Joe Burrow, and would still call the same plays. AK is an experienced QB with 17 Big 10 starts. I thought he looked good in his first game for us, but he is going to have to make much more difficult throws for us to beat good teams. As good as Monangai was last year, he had several games where he couldn’t get 50 yards. Against better teams, if they stuff our run, we are going to have to throw the ball down the field to win, and it would be good to have some live game action doing that before you are forced to try it out of necessity.

You may well be right but for now I’m just happy to see we have someone who can look for an open receiver under pressure. Gavin did not have the green light to do that for whatever reason. He was programmed to throw it away if option one was well covered.

True, Simon not as mobile as either one but it appears the offensive playcalling is the same as always. Run, short pass, nothing vertical. Simon would have offered at least a mid range passing game last year and also this year which would more than compensate for less mobility. How many bootlegs did AK run ? 2 or 3 ? Not enough to make up for a limited passing attack.

AK looks to be better than GW so far after one game, but I continue to question the philosophy.
So many complaints about nothing vertical. Yet we got good yards and TDs on short passes... finally!
I'm not a big fan of Tom Brady and Patriots offense during his run but Brady won with swing outs and tight ends throws in the flat out in the middle and a rare bomb. The success produced long drives keeping the opposition offense off the field. That was Rutgers problem with Gavin. 3rd and 3/5 yards had no chance unless it was a Kyle run.
There isn't a single way to win, go with your strength. Nothing beats making 3rd down plays for short yardage and making a short first down. Keep their defense on the field and keep resting ours.

So many complaints about nothing vertical. Yet we got good yards and TDs on short passes... finally!
I'm not a big fan of Tom Brady and Patriots offense during his run but Brady won with swing outs and tight ends throws in the flat out in the middle and a rare bomb. The success produced long drives keeping the opposition offense off the field. That was Rutgers problem with Gavin. 3rd and 3/5 yards had no chance unless it was a Kyle run.
There isn't a single way to win, go with your strength. Nothing beats making 3rd down plays for short yardage and making a short first down. Keep their defense on the field and keep resting ours.
Greg actually said in a recent interview that punts are the most important plays in games. Pretty near verbatim. That’s his objective. Punt rather than risk turnovers. It’s a huge headwind for a team to win games against good teams without any intention of putting up big points. It’s also why our receivers are still so weak. Why would any top receivers come here to have 1 catch for 6 yards every game ?

It’s a terrible philosophy.

Greg actually said in a recent interview that punts are the most important plays in games. Pretty near verbatim. That’s his objective. Punt rather than risk turnovers. It’s a huge headwind for a team to win games against good teams without any intention of putting up big points. It’s also why our receivers are still so weak. Why would any top receivers come here to have 1 catch for 6 yards every game ?

I think you are missing his complete thought process. If you don't get a first down, yes they are critical. And he pays more attention on blocking or stuffing punt returns. Schiano has always had a good to great special teams play on both sides off the ball. Flood and Ash had bad to terrible special teams.

I think you are missing his complete thought process. If you don't get a first down, yes they are critical. And he pays more attention on blocking or stuffing punt returns. Schiano has always had a good to great special teams play on both sides off the ball. Flood and Ash had bad to terrible special teams.
No. That’s not what he said or meant. Of course punts are important when you don’t make first downs. He said they are the most important plays. He prefers punts to anything but lowest risk plays. That’s how he is. We see it every game. GW didn’t even throw to the sticks on 3rd down pass plays last year and this is why. Too risky for Schiano.

Losing philosophy against good teams.

No. That’s not what he said or meant. Of course punts are important when you don’t make first downs. He said they are the most important plays. He prefers punts to anything but lowest risk plays. That’s how he is. We see it every game. GW didn’t even throw to the sticks on 3rd down pass plays last year and this is why. Too risky for Schiano.

You can’t go by pass decisions related to Gavin. The issue was he could not be trusted to accurately complete passes. His numbers speak for themselves and explain why we would often run on 3rd and 8. That’s what gave us the best chance to win

We also went for it on 4th down often instead of punting so what your saying isn’t true.

Reactions: RU-05 and WhiteBus

No it's not a losing philosophy. Time management and keeping the better offensive off the field is the better option. If you think that Rutgers is going to make the playoffs you need to change the teams you are routing for!

No it's not a losing philosophy. Time management and keeping the better offensive off the field is the better option. If you think that Rutgers is going to make the playoffs you need to change the teams you are routing for!
Punting gives the better offense the ball back, lol

I think Shelby thinks we have the talent of OSU and GS is the only thing holding us back rather than GS making the most of the team we have.
GS- was expected to only improve last year and he won, this year, he is expected to win. So, he is going to coach each game to win- even if the win isn’t impressive- and he is then going to build to become impressive.

I think Shelby thinks we have the talent of OSU and GS is the only thing holding us back rather than GS making the most of the team we have.
GS- was expected to only improve last year and he won, this year, he is expected to win. So, he is going to coach each game to win- even if the win isn’t impressive- and he is then going to build to become impressive.
I'll make it simple, Shelby isn't a Rutgers fan. Probably never had season tickets.

Decisive. Accurate. Quick. Mustard. Legs. All you can ask for.

I’m sure we will see if he can hit the deep ball in stride. I’m sure it will be good buy the looks of him.

Excited to see more!

Last edited:
It only matters if he can help us beat top tier competition. It doesn’t really matter how good you look against Howard. W/O OSU, Mich, PSU, and Iowa on the schedule, he will have plenty of chances.

Smart bus !! Good post

Reactions: newell138
It only matters if he can help us beat top tier competition. It doesn’t really matter how good you look against Howard. W/O OSU, Mich, PSU, and Iowa on the schedule, he will have plenty of chances.
We do t have OSU, Mich, PSU on tge schedule- 70% or so P4 teams don’t either.
So- it matters to where it brings us this year.

Greg is a low risk guy. We won 44-7. There was no need to make those kind of throws. It was more valuable to give AK practice making in game decisions on his own because he’s actually going to have the green light to do that. I’m sure we will run a handful of pre-rehearsed Gavin style plays down field too. There was no reason to show those hands though against Howard. Gavin threw a few against Wagner because those were the only types of throws he had the green light to throw - plays where he knew exactly where the ball was going.
Greg is certainly conservative, but we've had teams in the past, especially during 1.0, that threw deep (Teel and a stable of very good WRs), so I think it's more personnel related than philosophy. Having said that, though, AK has a good arm and we have some guys with speed and we're going to take some deep shots this year, so I don't understand not trying to work on those in a game like this that wasn't in doubt, as there's no substitute for real game reps. The "showing hands" argument doesn't hold up, as showing a few of our long pass plays isn't really going to give defenses some significant insight or advantage.

Someone here should write a post that when izenberg and vaccaro left the Star Ledger, Politi was a downgrade and not a flashy one.

Reactions: newell138

You’re the same guy that said Wimsatt would be our starter because Schiano like to run the ball. If we have a passing QB we will pass. Most on this board even question AK passing ability, don’t need to push it with a slightly above average QB. AK was not a 4 or 5 star recruit. If we need to pass the long pass, I’m sure we will do it.

We played plenty of teams that beat us with this type of passing plan and I wondered why we couldn’t do it.

Last edited:
You’re the same guy that said Wimsatt would be our starter because Schiano like to run the ball. If we have a passing QB we will pass. Most on this board even question AK passing ability, don’t need to push it with a slightly above average QB. AK was not a 4 or 5 star recruit. If we need to pass the long pass, I’m sure we will do it.
Yes I did predict incorrectly that Schiano would go with GW again.

I watched several games today and very few teams threw a long pass and very few were completed.

We knew this was more of a practice game then a truly competitive one, but we also wanted to see AK have a good game. And he did. Aside from the lack of the deep throw, he did everything we wanted to see.

I’ll reserve judgment on USC but we can beat everyone on our schedule this year. QB play and staying healthy are the keys.

I agree with everything you said, although tempered by the fact that this was Howard - I still want to see how he does against better opponents, especially on the road, but I'm more optimistic about his play than after the spring game.
Howard may win 10 games this year. This isn’t the Howard of old

Howard may win 10 games this year. This isn’t the Howard of old
It’s not about Howard. We were a 7-6 team last year. 4 of those losses are given. AK is brought in to beat teams like UMD and Wisc. Good news is that we don’t have the big 4.

It’s not about Howard. We were a 7-6 team last year. 4 of those losses are given. AK is brought in to beat teams like UMD and Wisc. Good news is that we don’t have the big 4.
And Oregon is going to underachieve if they don't figure out an OL pronto. This conference punishes bad line play.

Reactions: ashokan
GW had a 6.0 yards per pass last year (100th)
AK had 6.3 ( 93rd) and 6.1 vs Howard
He had no pressure at all and much better WRs to throw to.
The game went as expected but I don't like the dink and dink passing game.
A long ball opens things up and some WRs can go long and fight for balls this year.
Maybe coach is saving the saucy stuff for league play.

Me when I come into a thread like this!

FUynmxs.gif

Seems more like you come like this:

angry go cartoons GIF by Cartoon Hangover

Have serious question for you. What could Greg do that would make you happy?

Seems more like you come like this:

angry go cartoons GIF by Cartoon Hangover

Have serious question for you. What could Greg do that would make you happy?

It’s not Greg - he has this crazy love fest with Gavin. Our new QB threw 3 TD passes - something GW has never done in his career which includes multiple games against Wagner types.

Ashokan attributes any relative success by AK to better wide outs - meanwhile all but 37 yards in the air verse Howard were receptions by guys who were on the roster last year. And nobody made any “great” catches. All 15 receptions were passes that should have been caught.

Last edited:
Reactions: Knight Shift
It’s not Greg - he has this crazy love fest with Gavin. Our new QB threw 3 TD passes - something GW has never done in his career which includes multiple games against Wagner types.

Ashokan attributes any relative success by AK to better wide outs - meanwhile all but 37 yards in the air bs Howard were receptions by guys who were on the roster last year. And nobody made any “great” catches. All 15 receptions were passes that should have been caught.
Right? How many passes did Gavin complete to TEs all year last year?

Reactions: PSAL_Hoops

Ashokan attributes any relative success by AK to better wide outs - meanwhile all but 37 yards in the air verse Howard were receptions by guys who were on the roster last year. And nobody made any “great” catches. All 15 receptions were passes that should have been caught.
here is my take on Greg and GW- when he skipped a year on QB recruiting- he HAD to start GW all year.
Good news/bad news - For Greg- the good news is that GW was most likely the best QB last year. So- that decision was easy. Bad news- while he did improve from the previous year- he made no additional improvements through the year. Good news- GW with all his faults, did win 7.
This year- GS 2.0 went out to find a QB for this year- I do think he gave both guys a chance to win it. When GW was still not improving, Greg made the best call of his career.

I don't think we can be a playoff team with a QB like AK but he is good enough to get us to 7-9 wins this year. And that is going to be huge

here is my take on Greg and GW- when he skipped a year on QB recruiting- he HAD to start GW all year.
Good news/bad news - For Greg- the good news is that GW was most likely the best QB last year. So- that decision was easy. Bad news- while he did improve from the previous year- he made no additional improvements through the year. Good news- GW with all his faults, did win 7.
This year- GS 2.0 went out to find a QB for this year- I do think he gave both guys a chance to win it. When GW was still not improving, Greg made the best call of his career.

I don't think we can be a playoff team with a QB like AK but he is good enough to get us to 7-9 wins this year. And that is going to be huge
Hopefully, we can show we have an adequate passing game that we can get better and better passing QB recruits or transfers in the future.

The schedule sets up for us to be in the playoffs. We probably lose in the 1st round but there is a chance.

Hopefully, we can show we have an adequate passing game that we can get better and better passing QB recruits or transfers in the future.
While I know Greg is just going to try to win…there is a part of me that says we need to have a WR with over 50 catches this year.

I watched several games today and very few teams threw a long pass and very few were completed.

Even contemplating playoffs is preposterous.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT