ADVERTISEMENT

Football Flacco transferring

Question about the report.

"After one season, junior quarterback Tom Flacco is leaving Rutgers, multiple sources have told The Knight Report...will reportedly transfer to Towson for his senior season."

Shouldn't he be able to play this year for Towson? Doesn't he have two years to play at Towson?

Flacco was a great competitor... But I'm guessing he saw the writing on the wall.

Hope he sees the field at Unitas Stadium. Definitely has a chance to compete for the starting job. Towson has 3 red-shirt sophomores in the mix currently.

Reactions: GoodOl'Rutgers
This is definitely a case of fight for playing time or have one last chance to go out and play some ball. Best of luck to him.

I don’t want to diminish what he did in the spring game but a couple of his big plays would have been whistled dead if he had the green shirt on. The D let up thinking the play was over and then he made the play. The others did not have that luxury. But I liked him and think he is a playmaker. I’ll root for Towson this year.

Reactions: GoodOl'Rutgers
He also graduated from Rutgers last month. So he is going there as a Graduate Transfer.

I still don't quite understand this. He has graduated, but he still has two years of eligibility from high school (redshirt Junior if he stayed at RU). There is no reason to transfer to Towson as a graduate transfer because he'd be available to play this year anyway since he's going from FBS to FCS. Graduate transfers can play immediately going from FBS to FBS, which is the reason to transfer as a graduate. My thinking is that he should be a junior this year at Towson.

I still don't quite understand this. He has graduated, but he still has two years of eligibility from high school (redshirt Junior if he stayed at RU). There is no reason to transfer to Towson as a graduate transfer because he'd be available to play this year anyway since he's going from FBS to FCS. Graduate transfers can play immediately going from FBS to FBS, which is the reason to transfer as a graduate. My thinking is that he should be a junior this year at Towson.

I don't think he can start at the FBS anywhere else. He wants to start while getting a Masters Degree.

Towson is a good fit.

I don't think he can start at the FBS anywhere else. He wants to start while getting a Masters Degree.

Towson is a good fit.
Perhaps I'm not being clear. This started out with the article stating he's transferring to Towson for his senior year. Since he has graduated, it isn't his academic senior year. I interpret that as meaning his athletic eligibility senior year. But he's a redshirt junior at RU, correct? Why is he losing a year of eligibility?

Perhaps I'm not being clear. This started out with the article stating he's transferring to Towson for his senior year. Since he has graduated, it isn't his academic senior year. I interpret that as meaning his athletic eligibility senior year. But he's a redshirt junior at RU, correct? Why is he losing a year of eligibility?

Because the article wasn't clear :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Reactions: sherrane
He might have had a chance here but the kid just wants to play. After playing football their whole lives who wants to end it on the bench.

He will not lose a year of eligibility.

Narduzzi just signed a TE graduate transfer from Arkansas (Will Gragg) who will be able to play immediately and have 2 years of eligibility remaining.

The TE position was a position of need for Pitt and he has an excellent chance to start for Pitt (He was ranked the #4 TE in 2015). Played in 10 games last year but maybe lower on the depth chart at Arkansas.

Flacco obviously wants to start and believes his chances are best at Towsen.

Worked out well for his brother at Delaware. Can lightning strike twice.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Face palm on comments regarding how he played in Spring game and thinking he could start or get playing time over Sit or Lewis. Wish him well. He should also give thanks to the Defense for not lighting him up in Spring game.

GO RU

He will not lose a year of eligibility.

Narduzzi just signed a TE graduate transfer from Arkansas (Will Gragg) who will be able to play immediately and have 2 years of eligibility remaining.

The TE position was a position of need for Pitt and he has an excellent chance to start for Pitt (He was ranked the #4 TE in 2015). Played in 10 games last year but maybe lower on the depth chart at Arkansas.

Flacco obviously wants to start and believes his chances are best at Towsen.

Worked out well for his brother at Delaware. Can lightning strike twice.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
Glad 90% of this post was about Pitt for some reason... how’s recruiting going?

Tommy boy we barely knew ya !

Seriously best of luck. You have a chance to play vs. being 4th on the depth chart.

Glad 90% of this post was about Pitt for some reason... how’s recruiting going?

Well since you asked.

Pitt does not have any recruits this year who have committed.

Similar to last year at this time and that is why I am not concerned.

If it was December, then I would be very concerned LOL.

My point was does ASH use grad transfer to solidify positions of need at Rutgers as Narduzzi does at Pitt (even for one year). Narduzzi brought in two experienced grad transfers this year one at OL and one at TE.

Over the last 3 years how many grad transfers has ASH brought in at Rutgers to strengthen position weaknesses. Does Ash like to use use grad transfers. I also did not realize that a grad transfer can have more than one year of eligibility.

I think it is great if you don't have to rely on grad transfers but apparently we have to use this resource at this time.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Well since you asked.

Pitt does not have any recruits this year who have committed.
Yikes. This board would be in a total meltdown if that was RU's situation.
I see Syracuse has only 1 2 star commit and Louisville has only 3 commits.
In the SEC, Vanderbilt only has 1 and Missouri has 3.
B12- Kansas has 1, Kansas State 2, and Texas Tech 3.
Pac12- Arizona state has 1, WSU 2, and Stanford 2.

Agree, it is still early, but zero commits??? [roll]

I called this after the spring game. It was the primary reason he went full contact. He was never cracking the top 3 on the depth chart and basically was auditioning for other teams. Smart move on his part.

Something I have wondered about is why didn't PJ get Flacco to go to Minnesota? Maybe he tried and Flacco did not want to go? But I can't find anything on that.
And Minnesota is very light on QBs:
https://www.twincities.com/2018/05/...-training-camp-could-play-multiple-qbs-early/
“Not one of our quarterbacks have thrown a college pass, and I continue to say that because that is a fact,” Fleck said. “That’s not hiding behind something, that’s not making an excuse. That’s a fact, and that’s where we are.”

In limited action at WMU, Flaccco had decent stats.
Maybe it is saying something if PJ did not have him transfer to Minnesota. Maybe it is not.
Good luck Tom Flacco.

At the open practice he was the best QB on the field that day. Many thought the same thing at the spring game. Don’t be surprised if he lights it up there. Liked the kid a lot after seeing his performances. Ah well

At the open practice he was the best QB on the field that day. Many thought the same thing at the spring game. Don’t be surprised if he lights it up there. Liked the kid a lot after seeing his performances. Ah well
Then maybe he should have pressed PJ Fleck to take him at Minnesota. They don't have a QB who has thrown a pass in a college game. Fair question to ask why he did not go to Minnesota. . . .

I wasn’t at the open practice but I would say very few thought he was the best QB at the scrimmage. He showed the ability to scramble but his passing ability is not at the Big Ten level.

Wish him well. His brother made a similar decision and it paid off. The difference is one is a pro QB withe size and an arm and the other is a great athlete with moxy. Like him a lot but this was his best possible move. Agree with Cowbell he was showcasing by not wearing the green jersey.

Reactions: redking and GSGS

He has two years of eligibility remaining. They are probably calling him a senior based on academic standing, although graduate student would be more accurate. Or maybe because of age, he will be 24 in November, LOL.

I was there as well and thought Sitkowski was easily the best QB, especially throwing the ball. Flacco looked no better or worse than Gio or Lewis , only that he ran the ball without the protective jersey, and guys still were hesitant to tackle him, so he ‘appeared ‘ to have speed, but he was just benefiting from guys hesitating.
Maybe he should be play baseball, he was good at it in high school.

Agree Flacco is nowhere near Art.
He might be on par with Lewis and a step down from Gio.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT