ADVERTISEMENT

Flood is no longer to blame

A “nice eye for O-Line talent.” I completely disagree. The fourth and fifth year guys on the roster are his. Pretty sure we have the worst o-line in the entire nation.

Disagree with the OP. While Ash has left it in shambles it was Flood who started this disaster. Nothing will change that.
Agree that Flood started it...my point is that 4 years later, it is irrelevant. If Ash had us at the cusp right now- 4/5 wins and a possibility to get to 6 wins and some hope, then you could say it’s Floods fault that we had to deal with 4-5 years of a rebuild. But since we are actually far worse now then we were when Ash took over- Flood is no longer the reason we are where we are.

Truth is they both, in their own individual ways, stunk.

Flood was the initial post-Schiano arsonist. He steadily lit the fire that began the destruction of what had been built. -Then Ash came along and thought he could put out the conflagration by pouring napalm on it.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, brings us to where we are today.

Agree that Flood started it...my point is that 4 years later, it is irrelevant. If Ash had us at the cusp right now- 4/5 wins and a possibility to get to 6 wins and some hope, then you could say it’s Floods fault that we had to deal with 4-5 years of a rebuild. But since we are actually far worse now then we were when Ash took over- Flood is no longer the reason we are where we are.
You are correct. Some people here can’t see the difference between saying you can’t blame Flood anymore and saying he didn’t do a bad job. Clearly he did a bad job. He left a program in worse shape than he received it. And it was he who started this spiral. That being said. The program he left Ash was significantly better than it is now. Ash took it, and crushed it. Some of it he did deliberately by spitting in th face of many traditions. He treated RU like a piece of trash. This mess could have been prevented by the right hire. Hobbs missed the boat on that one. Let’s hope he gets this one right.

Reactions: JoeRU0304
don't blame the coaches, blame the Athletic Department for stupid hires, no vision, no foresight, no real 5/10yr plan, not having ADs that actually know what the fk they are doing. You can't expect a McDonalds line cook to come into Tavern on Green and become a chef and that's what we're expecting

Reactions: rutgersal
Flood actions against the Academic Support that Schiano built is 100% on him. The slide to the bottom was already in full swing. Ash has been terrible but the only people to give Flood a pass of the downfall are the dumbass Floodies.

Flood actions against the Academic Support that Schiano built is 100% on him. The slide to the bottom was already in full swing. Ash has been terrible but the only people to give Flood a pass of the downfall are the dumbass Floodies.

My OP was not to exonerate Flood, I think I have said that at least 3 times now. But any real coach, even a bad one, should have all that is or was Flood, 90% out the door at this point. We should already be mostly fixed and getting better. We have only gotten worse which means the stench falls solely on Ash now.

My OP was not to exonerate Flood, I think I have said that at least 3 times now. But any real coach, even a bad one, should have all that is or was Flood, 90% out the door at this point. We should already be mostly fixed and getting better. We have only gotten worse which means the stench falls solely on Ash now.

Usually with a new coach, you'd expect to see positive results beginning in year 3. That clearly didn't happen with Ash.
The fact that things are worse is clearly on Ash.

Reactions: JoeRU0304
My OP was not to exonerate Flood,

We have only gotten worse which means the stench falls solely on Ash now.
That is exonerating Flood.
One started the downward slide. The other continued it. Both coaches were nightmares for this program.

Understand point of OP but the revisionist history is fun here from others.

Not to defend Ash at all, but he took over a program under investigation by the NCAA (which I agree with another poster that other programs fix in house - except the Princeton thing...that was just moronic and hard to keep under wraps at a school like Rutgers). The credit card scam was equally bad for moral. Can’t imagine those factors help recruiting.

I obviously don’t need to get into all of his other deficits. We see that every Saturday now…

Flood was a horror show, he ruined the program! Ash just was way over his head and was clueless as to how to fix it.

Flood should have been fired a year or two before he was. Ash should have been fired last season. Both weren't because Rutgers tries to go cheap with Athletics ever since I stepped on campus in 1979.
Both AD's and the administration are to blame as well.

Reactions: motorb54
Flood should have been fired a year or two before he was. Ash should have been fired last season. Both weren't because Rutgers tries to go cheap with Athletics ever since I stepped on campus in 1979.
Both AD's and the administration are to blame as well.

False on the Ash thing, we would had owe him the same amount of money if he was fired last year version this year. It wasn't about the money and Ash and his staff were the highest paid in Rutgers history... The reason wasn't going cheap, it was that Ash was awful at his job.

Hire someone who doesn't suck ass and none of that matters.

False on the Ash thing, we would had owe him the same amount of money if he was fired last year version this year. It wasn't about the money and Ash and his staff were the highest paid in Rutgers history... The reason wasn't going cheap, it was that Ash was awful at his job.

Hire someone who doesn't suck ass and none of that matters.
Wrong. Yes they would still have to pay Ash. That's not the issue. They issue was they didn't want to spend money on a new head coach and a new coaching staff. Same reason Flood was kept around another year.

Will those bashing Flood provide some facts? He won 9, 6 and 8 games his first three seasons, very Schiano like. He went 4-8 his last season and did some dopey stuff trying help out one of our best players, and he was rightly fired. Ash came in with the players I mentioned above and reeled in 3 four star players before even coaching a game, so the perception of him and the program was good. Everything began to rapidly spiral downward once he coached a game and it never stopped.

Reactions: yesrutgers01
Wrong. Yes they would still have to pay Ash. That's not the issue. They issue was they didn't want to spend money on a new head coach and a new coaching staff. Same reason Flood was kept around another year.

They went cheap on Flood because the Bg East was on the verge of getting dismantled and while the Big Ten said that they would take us if they expanded again, that was not 100% guaranteed that they would expand anytime soon. People forget how grim things were at that time. Flood also unlike Ash did just enough to keep his job. Even if there was signs that it was going to all fall apart sooner rather than later. They didn't go cheap on Ash, he just didn't work out.

Reactions: Steve91562
Coach Flood > ashole

You posters can pile on all you want about our past inferior coaching hires, and inferior Athletic Department hires, which brings our football program to today's reality, but the real heart of the problem is the fault of the powers to be in the entire Rutgers Administration that dictate the parameters of budget, hires and firings of said coaches and administrators.

Hopefully, the present RU Administration finally gets it, as we have come to a crossroads here and now and a major decision must be made. Will the decision be made to finally fully invest in our football program? If not, football at this university is doomed until which time the RU Administration finally comes to the simple conclusion to spend money to make money.

The present football budget financials has been strapped because of past RU Administration directives...by pulling institutional support prematurely, thus forcing (multi mm interest) loans against its future BIG earnings. Further, many multi-million dollar contract buyouts had to be negotiated because of past RU Administration short sighted hiring budgetary constraints.

We, the fan base await the next move by this Administration indicating whether a change in policy is in force, or are we pegged to endure another slap in the face by continuing the losing status quo?

You posters can pile on all you want about our past inferior coaching hires, and inferior Athletic Department hires, which brings our football program to today's reality, but the real heart of the problem is the fault of the powers to be in the entire Rutgers Administration that dictate the parameters of budget, hires and firings of said coaches and administrators.

Hopefully, the present RU Administration finally gets it, as we have come to a crossroads here and now and a major decision must be made. Will the decision be made to finally fully invest in our football program? If not, football at this university is doomed until which time the RU Administration finally comes to the simple conclusion to spend money to make money.

The present football budget financials has been strapped because of past RU Administration directives...by pulling institutional support prematurely, thus forcing (multi mm interest) loans against its future BIG earnings. Further, many multi-million dollar contract buyouts had to be negotiated because of past RU Administration short sighted hiring budgetary constraints.

We, the fan base await the next move by this Administration indicating whether a change in policy is in force, or are we pegged to endure another slap in the face by continuing the losing status quo?
that's what i'm hoping for.. because football is the bread winner.. invest in a winning team and the money will pour in like lava.. cover all sports AND help academics

Reactions: Scarlet_Scourge
Here is my analogy. Flood has a house. He does not do a good job of maintaining it and eventually it goes on the market as a “fixer upper”. It is in bad shape. Hobbs, a realtor finds Ash, a contractor, who claims he can fix it up. Ash takes control of the house. However, because he is not a very good contractor the house falls down in a complete wreck due to his inability as a builder. Flood is not responsible for the house falling down. He is definitely responsible for it needing to be repaired but he didn’t knock it down. Ash did. Now, if you want to blame the realtor for bringing Ash on board you have a case. But as bad as Flood was, and he was bad, he damaged the program but Ash wrecked it.

Flood completely wrecked our OL and DL recruiting with many years of subpar recruiting. Ash took it to another level.

Flood was the termite that started nibbling at Schiano's foundation, Ash burned the thing to the ground... To Ashes...

Does that include going to a Counting Crows concert during game planning? I loved how one of our former mods put it, "Flood liked the idea of being a head coach, but not the work required to be one"

Counting Crows vs Ash.....give me Counting Crows for $400...!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT