ADVERTISEMENT

Former Rutgers football player sentenced to probation for theft of youth group funds

Knight Shift

Legend
May 19, 2011
Jersey Shore
Brendan DeVera, an Ash error player, who played for one year and was dismissed for violating team rules in the summer of 2018 after playing special teams his first year. Story from the Asbury Park Press/North Jersey.com

"Devera pleaded guilty to a third-degree theft charge stemming from an incident in July 2021 and was sentenced by Bergen County Superior Court Judge Keith Bachmann.

While working as an exterminator, Devera stole $5,400 from Christ the Savior Orthodox Church in Paramus, most of it from the church's youth group funds."

His brother, Tyler, decommitted from Rutgers and now plays at Stony Brook.

Brendan DeVera, an Ash error player, who played for one year and was dismissed for violating team rules in the summer of 2018 after playing special teams his first year. Story from the Asbury Park Press/North Jersey.com

"Devera pleaded guilty to a third-degree theft charge stemming from an incident in July 2021 and was sentenced by Bergen County Superior Court Judge Keith Bachmann.

While working as an exterminator, Devera stole $5,400 from Christ the Savior Orthodox Church in Paramus, most of it from the church's youth group funds."

His brother, Tyler, decommitted from Rutgers and now plays at Stony Brook.

total loser

Hope he gets his s#!t together after getting off lightly, in my opinion..
To me, it looks like the reason he was dismissed from Rutgers wasn't a factor in sentencing

This kid used to claim be was a blood. Aka the gang bloods/crips. He has mental issues

Why does he deserve time? We have people committing every heinous crime known to man daily .Devera only committed fraud. Seems minor in scope.
Good point. We should wait for him to continually ratchet up his activity and become a career criminal before taking any action.

Good point. We should wait for him to continually ratchet up his activity and become a career criminal before taking any action.
No by today’s thinking most of those we see in the news have committed multiple crimes over years. So why should this be different? Let them ALL out on the streets starting in California.

Why does he deserve time? We have people committing every heinous crime known to man daily .Devera only committed fraud. Seems minor in scope.

Fraud AND theft. But he didn't get Mets tickets so I guess that's sufficient.

Stealing from the church or a charity is vile. In the story, the woman who was the treasurer was very distraught over the missing money, thinking she made a mistake.

""Sharing the news of this stuff with the youth group and parents caused feelings of sadness and disappointment that someone would come into our church and steal money that was intended to help those in need and help support activities in the church," [Rev.] Schmidt said."

"Devera deposited checks into his own account, and Schmidt said several parishioners had to get new accounts to prevent fraud and identity theft."

""Schmidt said the treasurer was ready to resign her volunteer position because she thought the missing funds were her fault.""

And what a load of horse crap by his attorney--pleading for leniency because he played football?:

"During his sentencing, Bachmann noted Devera's accomplishments as a star athlete and leader at Wayne Hills High School, where he led the football team to a state title in 2016 as a quarterback and linebacker. He said while viewing video of a Wayne Hills game, he saw how Devera's teammates looked to him as a leader."

If they are going to through RUTGERS in the title.. this paragraph should be near the top instead of buried. Then again, I guess it is a wash since there were more players involved in that than he alone.

In 2018, Devera was accused of being involved with a credit card fraud scheme with several other Rutgers University football players. He was dismissed from the university and eventually attended the University of Memphis. Ricci said the charges against Devera have been dismissed.​
More and more it seems to me that "everybody wants theirs" and they don't care how they get it.

If they are going to through RUTGERS in the title.. this paragraph should be near the top instead of buried. Then again, I guess it is a wash since there were more players involved in that than he alone.

In 2018, Devera was accused of being involved with a credit card fraud scheme with several other Rutgers University football players. He was dismissed from the university and eventually attended the University of Memphis. Ricci said the charges against Devera have been dismissed.​
More and more it seems to me that "everybody wants theirs" and they don't care how they get it.

Have you been in America long?

Reactions: Blitz8RUCrazy

A headline with : "Former Rutgers, Memphis Player"?

Not from the SL.

A problem with the headline and the article is the way they buried the fact that Devera was dismissed from the program. It's a cute guilt by association game our loving press in this state likes to play with Rutgers.

This is a non story for any other B1G team in their local news. Waiting for this newspaper group to do a human interest story on charitable work done by one of our players.

The first sentence of the article says he was a “star player” at Rutgers

I follow the team relatively closely. As indicated above - I honestly don’t remember the name. At all.

In what universe was he a “star” at Rutgers?

[I use this term since it clearly applies here]….. fake news?

The first sentence of the article says he was a “star player” at Rutgers

I follow the team relatively closely. As indicated above - I honestly don’t remember the name. At all.

In what universe was he a “star” at Rutgers?

[I use this term since it clearly applies here]….. fake news?

I think that was star at Wayne Hills, not Rutgers.

Reactions: Knightmoves
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT