ADVERTISEMENT

Formula for Success for Smaller Teams in Tourney

BillyC80

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
1) Play with your hair on fire, but with controlled abandon.
2) Utilize quickness with good hands and handles.
3) Spread the floor and dribble-weave through the paint, dish when you see help defenders coming.
4) Constant movement gets defense out of sync and leaves gaps for o-boards and put-backs.
5) Stay loose, let muscle memory guide your shots.
6) Apply pressure on ball handlers.
7) Defend the arc, then double and trap down low.
8) Box out intensely.
9) Run, run, run, but take high percentage shots.
10) Make free throws.

FDU was helped that Purdue went 5-26 from 3PT. I would have also told Edy get position, catch the ball above your head and keep it there as you turn and then shoot. The little bit I saw he would bring it down and sometimes one bounce dribble, which FDU attacked.

Reactions: raritan1 and pmvon
I'm guessing there was a few percent chance that FDU's game plan would work, in terms of not defending the 3 on many possessions. The stars aligned last night for them. That's not to say that they didn't do a bunch of those other things well, but they needed Purdue to have a very cold night from the floor to win.

FDU was helped that Purdue went 5-26 from 3PT. I would have also told Edy get position, catch the ball above your head and keep it there as you turn and then shoot. The little bit I saw he would bring it down and sometimes one bounce dribble, which FDU attacked.
This, at the same time have the other team go cold and have only one player show up on the day. They played terribly

Reactions: Pils86
Good observation. Purdue is vulnerable to teams like Rutgers and FDU because their half court offense does not provide enough spacing inside the 3 point line when teams are playing a pressing/ trapping defense.. Purdue then has,to live or die by 3-pointers.

This was a down year for the B1G TEN because so many of the best players left at the end of last season.The abysmal 3 point shooting was a noticable result.Purdue had the best player in the country but lacked consistent outside shooting .They also had great difficulty against opponents that used the full court press .Rutgers was a over achieving team that for most of the season was strong on defense and mediocre on offense.There were plenty of highs and lows that got fans excited and depressed. The same can be said for other B1G TEN teams.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT