ADVERTISEMENT

Friday Night B1G?

Doctor Worm

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Feb 8, 2002
The Athletic (paywall) is reporting that starting this season, Fox Sports will televise a Friday night game of the week. The game will be chosen from among three host conferences: B1G, Big XII, and Mountain West.

So, one can expect about five Friday night B1G games this year. I don't expect them to be feature games. The Big Noon slot remains the Fox premier time slot. CBS and NBC will get dibs too.

So, for better or worse, we may get a Friday nighter.

I’d assume these will predominantly feature west coast big ten teams…FOX’s chance to go out west.

Yeah.

I don’t like it. The only reason I liked the Friday night game was the timing and temps…LDW when there isn’t really any other competition football-wise and cooler at night for all of us, fans and players.

Other than that, give me Saturday all the time.
Agree.

They have had the pac 12 for a while .
Yes. But no more.

With only noon games on FOX, very unlikely they’ll go out west much and start a game at 9am.

Again this gives FOX the chance to showcase west coast big ten teams

Yes. But no more.

With only noon games on FOX, very unlikely they’ll go out west much and start a game at 9am.

Again this gives FOX the chance to showcase west coast big ten teams
Why not if it brings a big audience? They do 10am starts.
Tv $$

September with Colorado a couple times.
Not sure if there were some later in the season.
But tv rules.

I think it was only once with Colorado..anyway..

Yes, TV rules hence the new tv windows I’ll say again it’s VERY unlikely west coast teams get the noon slot on FOX and this new window gives much more opportunities to showcase them

I think it was only once with Colorado..anyway..

Yes, TV rules hence the new tv windows I’ll say again it’s VERY unlikely west coast teams get the noon slot on FOX and this new window gives much more opportunities to showcase them
It was at least twice

Dude tv will do what it wants . They are paying for the right

It was at least twice

Dude tv will do what it wants . They are paying for the right

From the Athketic in October: Kenny (Big Ten COO) said Thursday the Big Ten will not have 9 a.m. PT local games in Los Angeles, Pasadena, Calif., Eugene, Ore., or Seattle, although teams from the West Coast may play in games that kick off at 11 a.m. CT or noon ET on the road.

AGAIN…very unlikely we see many 9am west coast on Fox.

From the Athketic in October: Kenny (Big Ten COO) said Thursday the Big Ten will not have 9 a.m. PT local games in Los Angeles, Pasadena, Calif., Eugene, Ore., or Seattle, although teams from the West Coast may play in games that kick off at 11 a.m. CT or noon ET on the road.

Ok, I am pretty sure tv dictated that statement.
If Fox ever wants ohio state at usc at noon, it will get it.

Also per football scoop:

- The Big Ten will avoid having the West Coast teams play home games at 9am PST / 12pm EST.

Which is why it was a stupid move to bring in West Coast teams. Their TV ratings suck.

• Haha
Reactions: fsg2
Ok, I am pretty sure tv dictated that statement.
If Fox ever wants ohio state at usc at noon, it will get it.

If FoX ever wants that..they’ll put it on Friday prime time, imo…which is a big reason this new tv window was established.

This isn’t FS1. This is FOX. The Friday night matchups aren’t gonna be bad ones. They’ll be good.

Also always the possibility of a “trade”…so one week NBC gets the noon if Fox wants prime time on Saturday. There’s also a potential west coast/FOX window. Though those aren’t likely to happen often

Fox will do what it wants to do

Totally agree. But there’s a “gentleman’s agreement” with the league that there won’t be 9am games.

Which is why I keep saying it’s very unlikely west coast genes are on Fox at noon. And much more likely to be on Fox on Friday prime time.

Reactions: mosito
Totally agree. But there’s a “gentleman’s agreement” in the league that there won’t be 9am games.

Which is why I keep saying it’s very unlikely west coast genes are on Fox at noon. And much more likely to be on Fox on Friday prime time.
That’s fine .

Hey I hope our game at usc is BIG enough that Fox moves it to 9 am!

• Haha
Reactions: mikemarc1
I’d assume these will predominantly feature west coast big ten teams…FOX’s chance to go out west.
Yea I can see it being matchups with the west coast teams. Possibly the week leading into their eastern most trips. Giving them an extra day for prep. Something like USC v Oregon Friday night before they make the trip out to RU or UmD.

Reactions: Plum Street
Yea I can see it being matchups with the west coast teams. Possibly the week leading into their eastern most trips. Giving them an extra day for prep. Something like USC v Oregon Friday night before they make the trip out to RU or UmD.

Exactly. agree.

Reactions: mosito
Not surprising news. I’ve mentioned a Friday night package as a possibility before the extra additions to help make Washington and Oregon work. A group of 4 from the west can help with that or after dark games.

I wouldn’t assume it would only be west coast teams though. For sure they will be highlighted in this time slot but I wouldn’t assume it as exclusively west coast teams. Outside of PSU, Michigan and OSU, I think any team could have a game in that slot.

Good point about extra day before cross country travel. Thats possible too.

Not surprising news. I’ve mentioned a Friday night package as a possibility before the extra additions to help make Washington and Oregon work. A group of 4 from the west can help with that or after dark games.

I wouldn’t assume it would only be west coast teams though. For sure they will be highlighted in this time slot but I wouldn’t assume it as exclusively west coast teams. Outside of PSU, Michigan and OSU, I think any team could have a game in that slot.

Agree.

Sounds like a good idea for western and northern parts of the country…in the south and here in Texas, little chance anyone will care. The potential Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas and Louisiana teams that MATTER, are in the SEC…

Sounds like a good idea for western and northern parts of the country…in the south and here in Texas, little chance anyone will care. The potential Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas and Louisiana teams that MATTER, are in the SEC…
It's solid programming for Fox and replaces WWE. It also on Big Fox so that's good exposure for any of the programs that get put in that slot.

Reactions: fsg2 and RUTGERS95
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT