Gold Member
Aug 1, 2001
*** more details to be added, sorry, was running short on time

Repeat after me:

we won

WE WON

WE WON

WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON

....DOESN'T THAT FEEL GOOD? Now, for the rest of this thread, REMEMBER THOSE WORDS. Thank you!!!

(maybe I should just leave it at that???....of course not....TBC this just may take a while)

My "trek" to The Blue Lot...

- NEC to Hamilton to pick up, YES, paper tickets from my dad (his 2 regular seats, a Scarlet pass and a HC seat) which had all been sold. Train gets delayed 20-minutes at Linden due to a man on the spectrum, who got on at Newark Airport (by himself), having personal problems. I'm not making my first train from Hamilton to NB at this point but there's another 30-minutes later which I should make by 15-minutes. Welp....it's take an additional 15-minutes to go from Jersey Ave to Princeton....so I gotta text my mom (dropping off the goods for my dad) and tell her to "get outta the car and walk to the ticket office....which she did, thank God, as my train pulled into Hamilton and I could see the one that left Trenton coming down the tracks....hoofed it up-over-and-down, met mom, and bolted into the waiting train with about 5-seconds to spare. My you...there's a guy waiting in NB for me to give me money for 2 tix and a parking pass, lol....get to NB, make the transfer, take an Uber to SHI and get out on the student side. Perfect because I wanted to stop in Scarlet to meet....

...@RUSkoolie and company. Which I did, briefly and panting (my murmurs got the best of me walking up that hill), all while accidentally calling Pete "Malast....".....oooof.....obviously brain scrambled from a hectic morning but he laughed it off and came over to say "hello!" Great guy, told him I'd be back later to do shots and, well, yeah I owe him lol!!! On to the Blue Lot...

...where "R Tailgate" was 4+ hours into the day already and looking like we were going to have an EPIC afternoon - which we most definitely DID have - preparing us to go into SHI later on.

...where to begin? Welp...other than one "nuisance" shower (which I SAID would be the case that morning, kinda like the one "nuisance" shower during the game, the weather was fantastic (not hot, not cool, not humid, not muggy....shorts and t-shirt all day long....), the drinks (and shots) flowing, and the food.....oooooof.....started with a hot dog to get through then, I guess by 2, the "Oktoberfest" feast (pierogies, kielbasa, schnitzel, etc, etc...) began to flow and Chef Chris, once again, CRUSHED IT!!! The # of people who showed up at this tailgate - from people I hadn't seen in 10-20-30 years, and "friends" I've NEVER met, including about 7 or 8 who were at their FIRST RU home game EVER - was just mind-boggling (yes, I called "this" type of crowd, as well, during the week....)!! I said this was going to be a "coming out of the woodworks insulation" kind night and it was! Okay the next few hours, honestly, were a "blur" but that's okay!!! I just remember lots of tequila and "stein" chugs....

....onto SHI!!! I was one of the people who's tix didn't move to their wallet, or disappeared, or something, but ran into a friend who had an extra and they helped out that stressful scenario BUT we got in relatively quickly (right side of north gate) at about 35-minutes prior to kickoff. Student section already half full with kid streaming down all the aisles....simply amazing....and the majority of the crowd (as predicted) a good 98% of so IN BLACK...as it ended up being once the stadium was full. AWESOME JOB BY ALL!!!! Now...

....the pregame show. What can be said that hasn't been said already? It was....in a word....EPIC. The students, the rest of the stadium, the "blackout" ....everything...so damn proud of this fan base (as I completely expected would be the case....)

....the game...welp.....WE WON. That's it (we can talk about this in the 345 other threads)

...the atmosphere was a electric as anyone could have asked for and, IMHO, ARGUABLY BETTER than Michigan 2014 BECAUSE there weren't 5K Michigan fans in the stadium. There were, as expected, 2-3K Husky fans there AND they were all very nice before, during and after the game.

....the halftime and 3rd/4th quarter shows....EPIC EPIC BEYOND FREAKIN' EPIC....but I have an issue with 2 things already discussed in another thread (NOT giving the students a hot second to begin the "R-U" chant after the team entrance AND the way that "Don't Stop Believin'" is cut off. LET THE WHOLE SONE PLAY OUT or GET A MIX MADE that doesn't sound like someone knocked into the turntable (for us "older" dudes...). PLEASE!!! Born to Run, Livin' on a Prayer, We Will Rock You....all PERFECTLY timed IMHO....and the crowd loved it. Loved most of the "Club SHI" tunes as well because....

....as I've said 100000 times YOU JUST NEED TO WIN and everything else falls into place/becomes awesome!!! I had friends in who go to games all over the nation - particularly LSU and Texas - who were simply amazed at Friday night. WE GOT IT RIGHT in every way imaginable AND not a single negative word about ANYTHING (from tailgates to entrance to bathrooms to concessions or anything else) from a single one of them. Absolutely nothing but compliments, astonishment and love from everyone I knew there for the 1st time. THANK YOU to all who made that possible (specifically US, lol...)!!!

....OH AND GUESS WHAT???

WE WON THE GAME!!!!

P.S. -I DON'T KNOW ANYONE WHO STAYED HOME BECAUSE OF THE FORECAST and IT CERTAINLY DIDN'T APPEAR TO KEEP "20%" OF THE FANS HOME, lol....

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.