ADVERTISEMENT

From 31 PPG to 13 PPG, Vedral 1st 5, Last 5 starts

NewJerseyHawk

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jan 11, 2007
There are trends that stand out and then there are drastic ones that should trigger a longer term discussion.

The offense pretty much brought back every skill position player and most of the kids who played OL last year....whether they were more talented or not, the point is how fast teams have adjusted to RU, or how conservative Schiano has made the offense and Gleeson. The drastic change to me, happened after Vedral played his best game vs Michigan, in the 3OT loss, 49-42.....

Ru scored, 38 vs Sparty, 21 vs Indiana, 27 at Ohio State, 20 vs Illinois and had 42 in triple OT vs Michigan......all Vedral starts in 2020.

Since the 3 OT Michigan game in 2020, Vedral has generated the following point totals, excluding non Power 5 games, Temple and Delaware.....I think it is important to include Syracuse as a game of note and not include Temple or Delaware.....

Since the return from injury after Vedral missed the Purdue win on the road last season.....

Penn State 7 PTS (1 TD)

Maryland 0 points in a scoreless 1st half (No TDs when Vedral was on field as QB). 27 PTS in 2nd half and OT.

Syracuse 17 PTS (7 to 10 PTS provided in redzone by RU defensive takeaway( 2 TDs nonetheless). Should have been 20 points, another chip shot FG miss factored in.

Michigan 13 points (1 TD, 2 FGs, but should have been 3 FGs).

Ohio State 13 points (1 TD by Vedral as QB, 1 by Snyder).

Michigan State 13 points (1 TD generated when Vedral was QB).....3 Redzone trips, 6 points

RU has scored 6 TDs in Vedral's last 6 starts or games he has played...(5 TDs for Vedral as the QB).......RU is averaging around 12 to 13 PPG in those 6 games.

We didn't lose anyone of note that graduated from last year to this year on offense, but the production is cut in half, from the 1st half of last season.

We are entering a part of the schedule where 2 games are almost certainly not games where you would expect RU to exceed 13 PPG, hosting Wisconsin and at Penn State).

On the other hand, RU gets 4 games against 4 rosters with clear talent advantages (RU still far and away,, carries the least overall talent in the B1G) but not as extreme as the Wisconsin and PSU matchups......I could argue Indiana and Maryland belong in the Wisconsin and PSU categories, based on eye-test and just watching both rosters.

At Northwestern
At Illinois
At Indiana
Maryland

RU has performed or seemingly played better on the road, so it is not impossible to expect at worse, a split of Northwestern and Illinois. But it is difficult to expect to win any of the remaining games, averaging 1 TD and 2 FGs per game.

If RU is going to make this a successful season by the standard of overachiever again, it needs to find points with Vedral at QB, or consider that a position needing a change.

I am not sure RU wins either the Purdue or Maryland games last year if Vedral was the QB, so maybe RU should have been 2-7 last year instead of 3-6, but that's just an assumption based on the throws made by Sitkowski in those games at Purdue and Maryland, RU earned those victories.

5 games is a very long sample size since the Michigan game last year, that teams have either caught up to Gleeson or Vedral just cannot generate enough PPG. I also don't think Gleeson suddenly forgot how to call offense......

Is it totally Vedral.....??

Is it Schiano looking to avoid INTs or turnovers???

Is it the B1G and others completely catching up to both Vedral AND Gleeson???

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News