ADVERTISEMENT

From PSE&G meter reader to Rutgers multimillion-dollar donor: The remarkable journey of a SMLR Alumn

Tango Two

Aug 21, 2001
North Brunswick, New Jersey
It all started with a bad boss.

It was the early 1980s and Bill Dwyer was working for PSE&G, reading electric and gas meters. He loved the job — going into homes, getting to know the customers — but his supervisor was a tyrant with a short temper. One day, during an all-hands meeting, the boss publicly humiliated one of Dwyer’s co-workers for making a mistake.

“He laced into this employee on a tirade,” Dwyer said, taking a deep breath as he recalled the moment. “This employee started to cry. This is a grown man, and he actually started to cry. He was so humiliated.”

Dwyer decided on the spot that he had to change the way his colleagues were treated. His dad had a suggestion: instead of fighting management, become management. Dwyer enrolled in the labor and employment relations program at Rutgers while still working full-time at PSE&G.

https://www.mycentraljersey.com/sto...ex-traces-path-pse-g-meter-reader/3629112002/

Reactions: Tararua
I'll have to see if my dad knows him. My dad worked for Public Service for years and was in charge of the meter readers at one time.

My dad is still alive so he isn't the bad boss the article references. Although I bet my dad was a demanding boss.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT