ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Full 2019-20 RHoops Schedule released

Path to 11 wins (NOT saying this is likely, just saying that if you want to look for 11 wins this is it):

@ MSU - L
vs. Wisconsin - W
@ Nebraska - W
vs. Penn State - W
@ Illinois - L
vs. Indiana - W
vs. Minnesota - W
@ Iowa - W
vs. Nebraska - W
vs. Purdue - L
MSG vs. Michigan - L
@ Maryland - L
vs. Northwestern - W
@ Ohio State - L
vs. Illinois - W
vs. Michigan - W
@ Wisconsin - L
@ Penn State - W
vs. Maryland - L
@ Purdue - L

Last edited:
"The conference schedule is obviously a tremendous challenge, and this season is certainly no different," said head coach Steve Pikiell. "Starting with the nation's No. 1-ranked team on the road after playing at Pittsburgh in the Big Ten/ACC Challenge is a tough test, but one that we welcome. There's a lot to be excited about. Teaming with our wrestling program to compete against Michigan at The Garden on Super Saturday is great for our brand, the team, the fans, alumni, and the Big Ten. It's going to be a very unique environment, and we have the potential to be a unique team with a lot of versatility."

https://scarletknights.com/news/201...nnounce-2019-20-mens-basketball-schedule.aspx

We never catch a break with the December games. Though Wisconsin is winnable and we need to win, at Michigan State is as difficult as can be. Also isn’t the Michigan road game at MSG on feb 1.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Best case: 11-9
Worst case: 5-15
Base case: 8-12

Combine 8-12 with a 9-2 non-conference schedule for 17-14. Should be enough for the NIT.

We never catch a break with the December games. Though Wisconsin is winnable and we need to win, at Michigan State is as difficult as can be. Also isn’t the Michigan road game at MSG on feb 1.

C’mon guys. Let’s not complain without thinking this through. I don’t mind playing two tough B1G teams early since our OOC schedule isn’t filled with top teams. Since we have to play MSU and Wisconsin anyway, might as well play the better B1G teams early to boost the competition of the November-December schedule.

We could have had two of the weakest B1G teams in December, then almost all tough B1G teams during the 18 game B1G stretch. So I definitely prefer it this way.

Last edited:
There are definitely opportunities to generate momentum with the January B1G schedule but this is a very young roster that will have some bumps to work through.

February is challenging but if you have won a few games in January, maybe the momentum can carry you into the teeth of the schedule

I maintain that RU cant have more than 12 regular season losses in order to have a chance to dance. A 13th loss can happen in the B1G tournament but you definitely want to emphasize the B1G wins and avoid more than 4 lopsided scores in league.

Once you start winning games, if you have 12 to 18 point losses on the road like Michigan State Ohio State Maryland or Purdue, those are acceptable margins of defeat. Those games can't get out of hand where they're 20 to 25 point games like we saw at Purdue and home for Maryland early in the B1G last year.

The schedule lines up but must have the RAC with some noise and a difficult spot for opponents. I think that's an assumption that it will happen based on home games last year with Iowa, Minnesota and Penn State down the stretch. Those environments have to now be the "norm", if the program is taking the next step.

With our pathetic OOC schedule, we need a challenging B1G schedule to have a chance for the post season. Happy that it is. It’s time for this team to step up.

Reactions: Scarlet83
There are definitely opportunities to generate momentum with the January B1G schedule but this is a very young roster that will have some bumps to work through.

February is challenging but if you have won a few games in January, maybe the momentum can carry you into the teeth of the schedule

I maintain that RU cant have more than 12 regular season losses in order to have a chance to dance. A 13th loss can happen in the B1G tournament but you definitely want to emphasize the B1G wins and avoid more than 4 lopsided scores in league.

Once you start winning games, if you have 12 to 18 point losses on the road like Michigan State Ohio State Maryland or Purdue, those are acceptable margins of defeat. Those games can't get out of hand where they're 20 to 25 point games like we saw at Purdue and home for Maryland early in the B1G last year.

The schedule lines up but must have the RAC with some noise and a difficult spot for opponents. I think that's an assumption that it will happen based on home games last year with Iowa, Minnesota and Penn State down the stretch. Those environments have to now be the "norm", if the program is taking the next step.

we definetly need to be ready to play come January 1st...there is a window for a big fast start in the big ten ...especially if we can beat Wisconsin at home in December

Biggest trap game on the schedule remains UMass the day after Thanksgiving. We've been extremely sleepy in those games under Pikiell:

2016: Almost lost to Hartford
2017: Under 1 point/possession against ECU
2018: Well under 1 point/possession against Boston U

UMass will probably be better than those three teams and if we come out flat again we're gonna lose. I don't even know why we schedule games for that day.

With our pathetic OOC schedule, we need a challenging B1G schedule to have a chance for the post season. Happy that it is. It’s time for this team to step up.

This is the reason why OOC schedule is fine with killer league schedule. Throw in Top 20 SHU and @ Pitt, there should be no complaints other than not playing Princeton.

Wisky is gonna see a significant drop this season without Happ.

They're adding a lot pieces (and size) this year that didn't suit up for them last year. Lots of unknowns with Wisky.

6-2, 201 - Trevor Anderson (Jr, returns from injury, played 8 games last year)
6-7, 200 - Tyler Wahl (Fr)
6-8, 226 - Taylor Currie (RS Fr)
6-9, 240 - Micah Potter (RS Jr, transfer from OSU)
7-0, 266 - Owen Hamilton (RS So, transfer from N. Illinois)
7-0, 223 - Joe Hedstrom (RS Fr)

They're adding a lot pieces (and size) this year that didn't suit up for them last year. Lots of unknowns with Wisky.

3 games in 7 days with travel is tough to begin with

Especially at MSU, then a physical team like Wisky , then a quick turnaround to play a heated in-state rivalry game, The Hall.

A tough task for sure

we definetly need to be ready to play come January 1st...there is a window for a big fast start in the big ten ...especially if we can beat Wisconsin at home in December

I know it's going to sound silly, but the Wisconsin game is the key game in the 4 game run. Many will place emphasis on Seton Hall but if MSU is the loss we have to expect it to be, you don't want to be 0-2 in the B1G starting January. We need league wins more than SHU. Obviously you want to win both, but we need to be 1-1 in league starting January.

I know it's going to sound silly, but the Wisconsin game is the key game in the 4 game run. Many will place emphasis on Seton Hall but if MSU is the loss we have to expect it to be, you don't want to be 0-2 in the B1G starting January. We need league wins more than SHU. Obviously you want to win both, but we need to be 1-1 in league starting January.

Given all the new faces in their rotation, it might be to our benefit to get them earlier and at our place.

Maybe the NCAA will look kindly on Rutgers. When they include us in the Big Dance they will see the highest-ever first round Nielsen ratings.

Reactions: HeavenUniv.
Talent-wise, we should win the Wisky game at home. The pace at which they play should make it go down to the wire.

Either
A. First time a schedule isn’t front loaded
B. We are just better so it doesn’t uneven
C. Both A. And B.

With new 20 game B1G we need to start seeing if SHU wants to play us sooner. That is a meaningless spot for us to have that game.

I'd actually suggest pushing it back to the last Saturday before Christmas. The Big East is going to 20 games next season with UConn so we'll see where they place the extra ones.

Here's other big non conference rivalries:

Purdue-Butler and Indiana-Notre Dame (they rotate opponents each year) is historically the last Saturday before Christmas.

Louisville-Kentucky is the Saturday after Christmas but they've also done it the one before.

Iowa-Iowa State is a midweek game early in December.

Providence-URI is earlier in December but neither plays 20 league games.

Same for Cincinnati-Xavier.

Memphis-Tennessee has been the same date as our game vs. SHU but also neither has 20 league games.

So it'll really come down to where the Big East puts their two extra games.

My ideal balanced early-season schedule:

Season opens: One top-100 team, one 150-225 team.
November 11-20ish: Gavitt Games
(Squeeze in a cupcake between Gavitt and feast week)
November 21-28: Feast week tournament
November 26-December 4: B1G-ACC Challenge
December 4-11: B1G early-season games.
(Play a midweek game against a cupcake then a weekend game against a decent team)
December 18-24: Seton Hall (last Saturday before Christmas)
(One more game between Christmas and New Year's)

Of course Rutgers has to get to the point where they're a desirable team for early-season tournaments. But there's a balanced 11 game non-conference slate.

With new 20 game B1G we need to start seeing if SHU wants to play us sooner. That is a meaningless spot for us to have that game.

Why sooner? I think playing SOCC is a great time in the OOC as either the second or even the third Saturday in December. I wonder if finals dictates playing on the 2nd Saturday.

Last edited:

True. But it doesn’t mean instant chemistry so better catch them early...

My ideal balanced early-season schedule:

Season opens: One top-100 team, one 150-225 team.
November 11-20ish: Gavitt Games
(Squeeze in a cupcake between Gavitt and feast week)
November 21-28: Feast week tournament
November 26-December 4: B1G-ACC Challenge
December 4-11: B1G early-season games.
(Play a midweek game against a cupcake then a weekend game against a decent team)
December 18-24: Seton Hall (last Saturday before Christmas)
(One more game between Christmas and New Year's)

Of course Rutgers has to get to the point where they're a desirable team for early-season tournaments. But there's a balanced 11 game non-conference slate.
RU could get to that desirable Thanksgiving week tourney team by the end of the season if they finish in or around .500 in B1G play. With an OOC full of cupcakes, a 10-10 B1G record could have RU around 20-22 wins overall.

Anyone know how far out the current contract is with Seton Hall ? Wondering if it contains any specifics about what the date frame is when the games have to be played?

RU could get to that desirable Thanksgiving week tourney team by the end of the season if they finish in or around .500 in B1G play. With an OOC full of cupcakes, a 10-10 B1G record could have RU around 20-22 wins overall.
I know a team that had not won 10-games in three seasons yet they played in a November tournament last season.

You don’t need to be good to get invited to a November tournament. Think of all the 8-team tournaments that are out there, and none of them have more than one team from the same conference. Charleston, Virgin Islands, Disney, Wooden, San Juan/Myrtle Beach, Vegas.... there are plenty of tournaments out there.

Why sooner? I think playing SOCC is a great time in the OOC as either the second or even the third Saturday in December. I wonder if finals dictates playing on the 2nd Saturday.

I just look at that stretch...
12/3 at PITT
12/8 at Michigan State
12/11 Wisconsin
12/14 Seton Hall

It is early December and we have 4 games right in a row. I always think of OOC as the time to tinker and get guys minutes.

Maybe the SHU game is best as the 3rd or 4th game sandwiched around some of the cupcakes.

I realize I am probably a tad overanalyzing

I just look at that stretch...
12/3 at PITT
12/8 at Michigan State
12/11 Wisconsin
12/14 Seton Hall

It is early December and we have 4 games right in a row. I always think of OOC as the time to tinker and get guys minutes.

Maybe the SHU game is best as the 3rd or 4th game sandwiched around some of the cupcakes.

I realize I am probably a tad overanalyzing

I agree that you are a tad over analyzing it. We have so many games in November to tinker. And then this stretch is like a two week B1G stretch where all of the games are very competitive and it’s a test for how the schedule will be beginning in January. Those 4 games will hopefully harden us. And then for finals and the holiday week before the 18 game B1G starts, the schedule is lighter again.

I kinda like how those 4 games are packed together. It’s a true test.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT